Dominicanization

KateMNDR

Jan 12, 2006
Budson said:
Three out my four trips back to Boston I have gotten a ticket for some reason or another between picking up my rental at the airport and my first destination. Now when I go back, I have to coach myself before leaving the airport.

Driving Dominican is NYC taxi driving without the rules or road rage.

Haha! That happened to me, too...I was so tired that I ended up lost in St. Paul, 3 AM...and was pulled over for speeding. I hadn't even glanced at my speedometer...hadn't even occured to me...turn signal? What's that?

All that from only being a PASSENGER on the roads of the DR! I have yet to get behind the wheel myself.

And, you're right-NYC w/o road rage...but just as much honking! It took me awhile to learn that it meant, I don't know, "hello...here I am" instead of what it means in NYC.

amandalivoti

Jan 20, 2006
i know i've gotten dominicanized when i'm back in the states, go to some store attendant or cashier and start talking to them in spanish. or, when i speak english i make dominican mistakes!!!!
but the biggest signs of all are 1. leaning against walls and 2. when something goes wrong muttering "co?o!"

jojo2130

May 30, 2005
What would it be like to go back to Instant arroz? and No Habituala? Just beans ?

I havent gone home yet after 6 months but I just realized that my speedometer doesnt even function and it WAS on my list to be fixed but I cant remember what I did with that list ..co?o. Ill Busque it Mana?a........ I really don't think the Dominican lifestyle is changing me...........

amandalivoti

Jan 20, 2006
what i like about living here is that it forces you to slow down! there comes that time, in the beginning when you get really furious at some inefficiency and while you're pulling your hair out you look around you and see all the dominicans staring at you like you're out of your mind- and then you realize- YOU must slow down, because they most certainly are not going to speed up. i mean after all, really, what's the hurry? can you remember?

Budson

Mar 10, 2004
Dometicated

KateMNDR said:
Haha! That happened to me, too...I was so tired that I ended up lost in St. Paul, 3 AM...and was pulled over for speeding. I hadn't even glanced at my speedometer...hadn't even occured to me...turn signal? What's that?

All that from only being a PASSENGER on the roads of the DR! I have yet to get behind the wheel myself.

And, you're right-NYC w/o road rage...but just as much honking! It took me awhile to learn that it meant, I don't know, "hello...here I am" instead of what it means in NYC.

When my Dominican friends as asked "How am I doing driving in the DR", one makes a point of saying I am domesticated. Not sure if that is a compliment or not.