Dominicans in the UK Army

Aug 19, 2004
According to last week's Daily Telegraph there are 15 people in the British Army from the Dominican Republic - anyone know who they are or how they got there?

Now this could be a new way to get yourself to the UK though be careful in case you end up in Iraq or Afganistan.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Did they say "Dominican Republic" or "Dominicans"? I have a hunch they were from Dominica.

BIZC8

Dec 21, 2006
Man, they need to get it straight....

...although I must pose the question: are people from the island of Dominica and the Dominican Republic both referred to as "Dominicans?

If so, we need to do something to differentiate between the two. Any suggestions? Anyone?

morenita inglesa

Jan 7, 2007
Yep, they're both Dominicans, the difference is in the pronunciation.
I have family from Dominica and it always throws people over here in the UK, as they never know which island I'm referring to, although there's a clear difference to me. I always say they are the french dominicans (although they were also a british colony). It gets annoying when people get them confused. I feel sorry for my daughter when she gets older (her father's dominicano)and has to explain her background to people.