Dominicans know strange stuff!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
If u wanna stop the rain hang up two small rocks that had been previously tighten two a piece of rope... one at one end and the other one at the opposite end of the rope.

It works, I did many times when I wanted to dry my cloths on the sun rays.

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
And... If the baby is pretty you better put on him some kind of neck-less that has been taken to the budu man for protection.

This is the cure for "El mal de ojos"

Oh Gosh...My people!

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Who of you guys had ever heard of "El empachao" this some kind of intestinal disease that the science still don't understand only the country Dominican people knows how to deal with this.

My Grandmother was an expert fixing all kind of native Dominican primitive doctors (curanderos).

JJ

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If your neighbor's dog come to pup on your grass stop it!!! hook up your two index and pull them at the same time you concentrate,,, tell the dog with your mind don't do it... he will be stuck and will have to resign.

Dominicans knows this from long time ago!

JJ

don't forget you have to say the word 'bone" loudly enough for the dog to hear. Jamaicans know this too.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Or if a lady has her periods ( hope that is not to harsh...), she can not touch flowers or plants. The plants dry up and die.......

But I am starting to believe that one!!!!

is that anything like the tale that if a girl from Nagua urinates on grass, it dries up, and never grows back? that is not a superstition, though. it is because they are so hot.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
is that anything like the tale that if a girl from Nagua urinates on grass, it dries up, and never grows back? that is not a superstition, though. it is because they are so hot.

I heard that many times, that's why in Nagua they have posted a big sign in one of entry of the city that say... Entra si quieres y sal si puede!
Come in "town" if you want to and go back if you can!

JJ

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
Ken Depree wrote an authoritative book collecting Dominican myths, "Beware of the Ciguapa".
Ciguapa's a beautiful long-haired witch with backward feet.
Get it if you can.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
on a serious note, one time the protection broke and the girl asked me for salt, she put salt in a cup of water and then started drinking it!

does that really helps!?!

i don't know if it helps cos 30 minutes later we we're in the farmacia to get a after morning pill and 3 weeks later i made her do a test so i ain't going to be a daddy. but i just wanted to know..

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
A lot of cultures have some "weird" customs.
in Suriname for example when a woman is on her period she's not allowed to be in the kitchen, it will spoil the food. She's also not allowed to sleep with her husband and has to sleep in a different room, now this I can understand. ;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hats on babies are easy, the head is very big and newborns loose about 75% of body heat that way. hence the hat, to protect them being too cold, even in a tropical country it matters. socks on feet and hands are because babies are still dumb and scratch themselves and the mother (if breastfeeding) with their nails.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
hats on babies are easy, the head is very big and newborns loose about 75% of body heat that way. hence the hat, to protect them being too cold, even in a tropical country it matters. socks on feet and hands are because babies are still dumb and scratch themselves and the mother (if breastfeeding) with their nails.

dv8, you are a baby expert.;)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dv8, you are a baby expert.;)

god help me :) i thought that hats are common knowledge. you will see prematurely born babies in an incubator with nothing but pampers and a hat, despite controlled temperature. hand socks interested me when i saw them on my sobrina so i asked what was it all about, expecting some superstition. but the answer makes sense.

strangely in the UK i have seen lots of babies dressed lightly and with bare feet even in the winter. the mother would wear full winter gear but kid would be dressed like it's summer. very weird.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I got one for you.........

Have you ever heard the salon ladies state they refuse to wash a customers hair themselves then blow dry it? They get a another employee to wash the hair.

Something about the cold to then the heat...they fear they will get paralyzed. WTF!!!

My wife usually goes to one of two places and they only have one person there and they do the whole wash and dry thing, but I believe you.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Dominicans avoid the sun for one reason, they don't want to "Tan" their skin anymore than it already is.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I always suspected this was the case, but I had someone try to explain to me once that darker skin is warmer than white skin because white reflects the sun and black absorbs it.

My two favorites:

If a tick gets near your ear, it will go into your head and attack your brain.

If a cat sleeps near your head, it will cause a parasite that will kill you (again, attacking the brain).

This actually happens, a college-educated lady told me, because it happened to the brother-in-law of the comadre of her neighbor's cousin.

My next favorite is listening to the explanation between a jaqueca (or however it is spelled) and a migraine.

I don't even try to answer anymore. I just nod my head.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
MR HUG. She offered very sound advice. Ultraviolnt light (the sun) is probably the number 1 causation of skin cancers.Both basal cell and later melanoma. Sun exposure has a cumulative effect. Meaning the more you get when you're younger the more time the exposure has to do damage.
The more fair the skin and light colored eyes the more susceptible one is to skin cancer.
SPF 50 here on the Island all the time on exposed skin.

Don?t be rediculous, My daughter is India, the entire family have played out in the sun there entire life for generations and no one has had cancer. I spent my entire childhood in the sun, I bake myself for fun. Sound advice.........................WTF are you guys with this attitude to sun doing in this country. Or are you the umbrella brigade I see walking aound complaining about it all day long while smoking 20 benson n Hedges and worrying about Ski cancer.
SPF 50 my arse!!!