Dominos, really that interesting?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Mrchris is pretty much accurate! The only thing that is missing is that if you can go out on either end of the chain, not only do you win, you also get what is called capicure (sp?). When this happens you slam the domino down repeatedly on both ends and scream capicure in a loud voice. As well as getting 25 extra points you also then have an extra large slurp of beer.

Matilda

B

BettyDiamond

would removing an item of clothing if you cant go make the game more interesting

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Matilda said:
The only thing that is missing is that if you can go out on either end of the chain, not only do you win, you also get what is called capicure (sp?).

Beat me to it, Matilda. I just googled capic?a and it is a mathematical term for a numerical palindrome (e.g. 1331) from the Catalan cap i cua meaning head and tail.

CAPIC?A

Great post, mrchris!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Capic?a is when you have the domino that will end the game and it fits at either end of the string.
mrchriscould have mentioned that extra points are given for making your opponent miss a turn, more points are given if you make everyone miss a turn.

Generally speaking, you set a limit, like 200 or 250 or whatever and the first team to that number wins.

The first domino laid down in a game is generally the double six, Thereafter, it can be anything to tell your partner what to play, it does not have to be a double.

Also, if you have 5 'dobles', in some places, the game is thrown in and pieces take again.

FYI...

HB

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Here's an extra rule

Never ever play against a dominican woman: loser drinks large glass brugal

I lost

a lot

Don't remember emptying the 2 liter bottle

They told me i did

Johan

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
There is another version called pintintin. Same rule as above, but in this one you do not have a partner and you play for money. At the beginning the amount of money to pay is set.

When you play, if the person who play after you do not have a domino to make his move, he has to pay you the set amount of money. If you play and nobody can not play, all of them must pay you the set amount of money. If you are the first one finishing with all your dominoes, all of them must pay the set amount of money.

Playing this type of dominoes requires skills and a lot of it. This is not luck but skill. Not partner just you.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Mrchris is pretty much accurate! The only thing that is missing is that if you can go out on either end of the chain, not only do you win, you also get what is called capicure (sp?). When this happens you slam the domino down repeatedly on both ends and scream capicure in a loud voice. As well as getting 25 extra points you also then have an extra large slurp of beer.

Matilda

And if it is a money game, the slam gets harder;)

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I am not Dominican, but I like dominos. I used to play it as a kid with my grandparents. My son does too. His grandmother taught him how to play. People in my country sometimes gather in the evenings and play dominos for a couple of hours. I don't think cards is considered to be good Christian game. Dominos is more acceptable I guess.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
In Russia it's considered a quasiofficial pastime of blue-collar men, rather opposing the white-collar-associated chess. Lots of jokes connect domino with firefighters, who are supposedly playing away all the free time between calls and are considered superb at domino.
But jokes aside, finding a good understanding partner is even more important here than in a bridge game.

blue-collar? not sure .. My grandparents played it, and grandfather was an army officer... I am not sure what you are talking about. We also like to play chess. I almost never played cards with parents or grandparents. Cards associate with gambling, I guess, and it is not a very good habit.