Doms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
...I find the term gringo to be stereo-typically derogatory, demeaning to me as a person, not reflective of my true culture and my right to be treated fairly as an individual to not be marginalized into a visibly identifiable group...unless I use the term which makes it ok for me to use, but not anyone else outside the group...

Aug 6, 2006
The origin of the word "Gringo" has at least a couple of theories.

One is that it is a corruption of the word "griego" (Greek), because around the time of colonization, the Spanish were fighting the Turks for control of the Mediterranean, and the Christian allies they did not understand were the Greeks. Over the centuries, the word morphed into "gringo".

In Argentina, it refers to anyone not a Spanish-speaking Argentine.

Another, less plausible theory is that as the American settlers came into Texas (they were originally invited, if they would swear they were Catholics and agreed not to engage in slavery) they sang the old English song "Green Grow the Rushes-O".
"I'll sing you one, oh, Green Grow the Rushes-oh.
What is your one-oh.
One is one, and all alone, and ever more shall be it so."

It is a question and response song that goes up to twelve-oh.

Neither the words Gringo or Anglo bother me.

The word you do not want to be called is "Yanqui"

The Yanquis are the ones they want to go home.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
...I find the term gringo to be stereo-typically derogatory, demeaning to me as a person, not reflective of my true culture and my right to be treated fairly as an individual to not be marginalized into a visibly identifiable group...unless I use the term which makes it ok for me to use, but not anyone else outside the group...

so i guess that you would support the idea that blacks have, that they can call their buddies ni**er, but other people should not?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

effed up edit....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Don't worry about the Gringo part

It's the Cdn part that really shoves you down the social and demographic ladder....
A serious impediment to public interaction......:lick:

hahahaha

Aug 6, 2006
so i guess that you would support the idea that blacks have, that they can call their buddies ni**er, but other people should not?

This is not so much an idea, but an actual practice, as anyone who has listened to rap knows.
The "N word" is a taboo, in anthropological terms.
Just as a Navajo may not speak directly to his mother-in-law, nor may she use his name.
You must not speak of the dead, lest their ghost be summoned.

You must not use the N word lest Leroy beat the crap out of you.

Orthodox Jews must not refer to God in speech, and his name must be spelled G-D if written.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I wouldn't recognize a derogatory phrase in Spanish anyways, but I am sure there must be some less than flattering terms in use by the locals.

Aug 6, 2006
I wouldn't recognize a derogatory phrase in Spanish anyways, but I am sure there must be some less than flattering terms in use by the locals.

In Mexico, the word "gabachos" is used sort of perjoratively. It was used in Spain to refer to the unwelcome French in the Napoleonic Wars. "G?eros" means anyone with lighter colored hair, but is not particularly derogatory.

European-looking Mexicans are sometimes called "bolillos", since they eat this sort of rolls with dinner instead of tortillas.

The Spanish are called "gauchupines". This usually refers to the Spaniard at the "Ultramarinos" store, sort of a colmado, where booze, sausages, and nonperishible foodstuffs are sold. The gauchupines are noted for running these, stereotypically an oldish chubby guy with a Yassir Arafat beard and wearing a beret. They also run panaderias, where they are said to be accomplished at making bread with sawdust.

Yanqui is the most pejorative term used to refer to norteamericanos.

Status
Not open for further replies.