Don?t drink the tap water: USAID report

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in london tap water is perfectly drinkable. when you ask for a glass of water in a pub/restaurant you get tap water.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Well in SD I have taught a number of my gringo friends to ask for agua de la casa which ALL restaurants are, I believe, BY LAW, obliged to serve.

Most places will then bring you a lovely glass of water instead of the dreadful Dasani.

Now if you have been here long enough you know that it comes from their own 5 gallon jug of purified water.

And it means that you trust the house.

And you have saved anywhere from 15 to 50 pesos depending on the establishment.

Maybe I should post a question in the legal forum but a Dominican told me it was the law in a VERY authorattive voice.

Once, in El Paseo.. In the Barrio Latino, I asked for a glass of water from the tap.. and the bartender gave it to me.. What he thought I was going to do with it I do not know. But I figured out that that was the first French place built there and they were on SOLID GROUND and had a DEEP WELL>

I drank it right down........ While he was going ... non non non.....

absolutely no ill effects..

So honestly.. it depends where you are. I would drink the tap water at the Grand Hotel Raydan in Dajabon because I saw them dig the well.

And I always ask for Agua de La Casa.

shows i trust the house

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
no you can probably scratch the US from that list, i think.. we have arsenic and lots of heavy metals.. most folks have some sort of filter if they can afford it and bottled water is about the biggest seller in the super market.. i think that NYC is about the only place that would pass EU standards..

and now we are gung ho for fracking which it seems to me is about like turning our water supply into gas wells..

but what the heck.. health care is too expensive anyway.. and elders are expensive

and we can import from the third world..

so ....

we are pretty stupid group..

Painting with a pretty big brush there Anne. Lots of places in the US without those problems. Dam few filters where I was from

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
i always wanted to ask this but i didn't think opening a topic would be worth it.

for those who also never drink tap water, how are you handling the next things:

- washing an apple before eating it

- washing you tooth brush

the first couple of days i bought those BIG bottles of water in the colmados to wash my apples and tooth brush, but at this point it's too much work.

if you think about it, if the water is tainted it would have been the dumbest thing to do not to wash whatever is going into your mouth with bottled water.

what are you guys doing?

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
What??? I thought this water was not drinkable at all ever!! When I first came here 7 Years ago, I did drink some water after brushing..BAM!! a few hours later my intestines went into a spasm, felt like somebody was twisting them, so painful!! not to mention I had the runs big time..This was is SD and now here in Puerto Plata I can see at times parasites if I allow the water to stand in my second bathroom for a few days...That said, where is this water actually drinkable?? I also rinse off my dishes after I was them especially for my birds things...That said, about 1 Month ago, I saw a swimmer in my bottled 5 gal jug of water!! has my girlfriend call the bodega to tell them that we would not be buying that brand anytime soon again and to provide us with another if they could...Nasty...I'm scared to death to drink the water here after that ordeal in SD...Anyone actually drinking the tap here?? If so better have some Metronidazole on hand..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i always wanted to ask this but i didn't think opening a topic would be worth it.

for those who also never drink tap water, how are you handling the next things:

- washing an apple before eating it

- washing you tooth brush

the first couple of days i bought those BIG bottles of water in the colmados to wash my apples and tooth brush, but at this point it's too much work.

if you think about it, if the water is tainted it would have been the dumbest thing to do not to wash whatever is going into your mouth with bottled water.

what are you guys doing?

1. I would peel the apple.

2. I bought a miniature water jug that feeds into a small ceramic dispenser [something like this one, but I only paid about $10 for it: ]Small Size Water Dispenser Stoneware Type Bottom Ivy Pattern Table Top Bedside | eBay, and it's small enough to leave on a shelf next to the bathroom sink. Holds about a quart of water. Even though I used tap water to brush my teeth for decades, this is now what I use.

3. Buy a tabletop dispenser for the 5 gallon bottles, looks just like the one above, only bigger. If you're on the south coast, I think I have an extra one exactly like this one [without the stand]: Primo Ceramic Tabletop Bottled Water Dispenser with Stand | eBay

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i eat my apples unwashed. because we have a large cistern we drop a cloro pill inside every now and then. this gets rid of some of the nasties. i brush with tap water, use it for cooking (except tea and coffee), give it to cats and dogs.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i eat my apples unwashed. because we have a large cistern we drop a cloro pill inside every now and then. this gets rid of some of the nasties. i brush with tap water, use it for cooking (except tea and coffee), give it to cats and dogs.

We also use it for cooking, except coffee. So far so good. But we don't have 'city water', we have our own well, which has been tested a couple of times. For raw veggies/salad, we only use bottled water.

After reading about the chloro pills, I think I'll throw some in the boxes we're packing - are they easy to find in DR?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
available in ferreterias. these are the same pills used in swimming pools. size of this thingy used to play hockey, whatever it is called. do not touch them with your bare hands. always use gloves (we just grab them through a plastic bag). i used to have lots of stomach issues but i do not think they were water related. never had a problem since we connected the fridge to the inversor and all our food is stored in low temperature all the time.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
available in ferreterias. these are the same pills used in swimming pools. size of this thingy used to play hockey, whatever it is called. do not touch them with your bare hands. always use gloves (we just grab them through a plastic bag). i used to have lots of stomach issues but i do not think they were water related. never had a problem since we connected the fridge to the inversor and all our food is stored in low temperature all the time.

Ah, like a hockey puck. Sounds like the tablets that we use in our toilet tank too.

Having lived near a beach my entire life [Rockaway Beach, Jones Beach, Jersey Shore, DR], I've never had a pool anywhere. Thanks for the info.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
toilet tablets are blue or green, correct? cloro pills are pure white and have very strong smell.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
I know the first thing you think of is a bacterium in the water which you will poison to kill it. The real danger is you have no idea of what is in the water if anything. The tap water has minerals but what type and how much bottled water has next to no minerals specially the RO produced.
Your sweat is a mineral soup that you expel and replace it with RO you will run out of minerals in your body and when deficiencies start.
If you use tap water you have no idea of what minerals it has and what minerals is deficient there is minerals deficiencies in the soils so it will be in the water.
It is known that the body needs 60 essential minerals and there is a myth that you can get them from your food. Plants and animals can not make minerals they must come from the soil or water and they are not there.
I personally use rain water and add plant colloidal minerals

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast