Don't expect a Best Buy to open in the DR - the problem runs deep

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If Alvin really appreciates customer service, perhaps one day he will be able to deal with customers on the phone and via email, as well as having a real web site.

What makes you think they don't already deal with customers on the phone or via email?
When you called, what did they say?

This is not a mom & pop store, they have 100+ staff in the operation. They are the largest wholesaler and retailer of computers and accessories in the DR, they move a few million US$ every month. That said, the owner is very approachable, good guy and helpful, which is more than can be said for most business owners in the DR.

I suggest you actually make an effort, rather than bitch about the advice given.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Neither Windeguy and I were insulting just offering ideas on how to expand his business. Ikea has an updated website with prices, lets you order online and delivers 3 times a week to the North Coast. You guys don't like the North Coast. I on the other hand find Santo Domingo full of pollution. To each his own.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We all like the "North Coast" and I know the "Others'as well as I,go there often.My next trip will be Friday of next week.
The North coast is beautiful!
Your snide "asides" sound like someone who is unhappy???????
The DR, has "Something" for everyone,and I mean "SOME THING"!
If you don't like the things I like,enjoy the things that you like
There are enough "Things" to go around.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What makes you think they don't already deal with customers on the phone or via email?
When you called, what did they say?

This is not a mom & pop store, they have 100+ staff in the operation. They are the largest wholesaler and retailer of computers and accessories in the DR, they move a few million US$ every month. That said, the owner is very approachable, good guy and helpful, which is more than can be said for most business owners in the DR.

I suggest you actually make an effort, rather than bitch about the advice given.

Neither Windeguy and I were insulting just offering ideas on how to expand his business. Ikea has an updated website with prices, lets you order online and delivers 3 times a week to the North Coast. You guys don't like the North Coast. I on the other hand find Santo Domingo full of pollution. To each his own.

Adapt or die. You live in DR now, not the US or Europe. Learn the business culture and local customs.

I agree with anng3. I was pointing out how it could be more convenient. Using IKEA as a model would not be a bad idea.

Robert, I really didn't mean to be bitchy, just pointing out that they don't have a good website, but that is still quite normal for here. My real bitch is having to go to Santo Domingo for anything. I guess I could call them and ask for their email address since I didn't see on on their web site. Searching a bit more, they do have a store in Puerto Plata, so that could work out well:

PUERTO PLATA
Calle Camino Real No. 41
Esq. Teresa Suarez, P. Plata
Tel?fono: 809 261 9393

Frank, I understand very well how the business culture here works and also doesn't work. I was first and engineer and then a salesman in the US and you must admit that the differences between here and there are quite remarkable. My main adaption to this point has been ordering just about anything and having it shipped here. Car parts, computer gear, musical equipment and other electronics are regular imports for me. If Omega Tech can be a way around some of that in the future, then great.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

This is not about location or pollution it's about people and culture.

You asked about pricing on TV's and I told you exactly how to get a great price, simple!

Moving on...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I buy all my electronics online but before I always make a trip to the local Best Buy or Fry's to see and touch what I'm buying.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
This is not about location or pollution it's about people and culture.

You asked about pricing on TV's and I told you exactly how to get a great price, simple!

Moving on...

And thank you very much for that info! I PM'ed you if by any chance you have his contact info that would be great!

CC makes a great point, I found out myself a not too long while ago....the best deals and connects you make in this country are with a handshake and a friendly smile!