Double Nationality

Leily

Jun 2, 2005
NotLurking said:
Hello Leily and welcome to your country! You can prove your Dominican citizenship with your Dominican birth certificate if the need arises. Your husband and children will pay RD$300 each for the overstaying. Anything form 15 days to 3 months pays RD$300. Don't be concerned about the return date on your tickets. It's not a big deal and many tourist overstay! Enjoy your trip! Don't forget to bring plenty sun blocker and Mosquito repellent.

Regards,
NotLurking
Thank you notlurking I feel at home already. I can't truly wait to get back.
I'm already packed up with sun block and repellent and sanitizing tablets as well .
Thank you for putting me at ease with this issue. I'll make sure I have the correct money in pesos to pay the "buitres" at the airport!!!!
is that around USD$ 10.00 each ??
No worries
regards
Leily ;)

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Leily said:
Thank you notlurking I feel at home already. I can't truly wait to get back.
I'm already packed up with sun block and repellent and sanitizing tablets as well .
Thank you for putting me at ease with this issue. I'll make sure I have the correct money in pesos to pay the "buitres" at the airport!!!!
is that around USD$ 10.00 each ??
No worries
regards
Leily ;)

I'm glad you're feeling at ease! RD$300 is ~US$11 (to be on the safe side). You don't have to pay when you enter! You pay when you exit, if you overstayed. It is a fine (penalty) for overstaying the 14 day tourist card visa allows. Hope this clears things up for you a bit.

NotLurking

pi?acolada

Mar 9, 2005
Leily said:
Thank you Dolores for your flash response, now another question, that penalty you mentioned is it calculated by days overstayed?
would i be able to get an idea of how much it could be?
Another thing I dont have a dominican passport , how do i proof my dominican nationality when entering the country so that I would'nt have to pay for the tourist card. My australian passport only states that I was born in San cristobal but does'nt say of what country.
Thanks again

Leily: If your passport said you were born in San Cristobal is enough
(frecuently they don't even check this) Once u speak to the Immig. officier in spanish he knows you're a dominican. it happens to me all time.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
First of all you will need US Dollars at the airport NOT PESOS even though you are entering the Dominican Republic. I believe it is 10$ US per person for the tourist card.

Another thing I always found strange is that if you are a woman married to a Dominican Man you have citizenship rights but not if you are a man married to a Dominican Woman.

Leily

Jun 2, 2005
Escott said:
First of all you will need US Dollars at the airport NOT PESOS even though you are entering the Dominican Republic. I believe it is 10$ US per person for the tourist card.

Hi Scott I was refering to the PESOS I would need for the penalty as I leave having overstayed ( my kids+ hubby) their 15 days tourist card permit. or would I have to pay that in dollars too? :tired:
And I agree with you about the different treatment towards a woman married to a dominican men or viceversa.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Escott said:

Another thing I always found strange is that if you are a woman married to a Dominican Man you have citizenship rights but not if you are a man married to a Dominican Woman.

This is discrimination and against the Constitution. A foreign husband of a Dominican wife, though, would have to take the issue to court, probably up to the Supreme Court, so as to challenge it and demand equal rights for this to be changed.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
pi?acolada said:
Leily: If your passport said you were born in San Cristobal is enough
(frecuently they don't even check this) Once u speak to the Immig. officier in spanish he knows you're a dominican. it happens to me all time.
I thought you needed to show a Dominican passport to avoid buying the $10 tourist card. Are you saying that you've been able to convince the immigration officer without showing any proof of Dominican citizenship and avoided paying the $10?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It appears to be the case. I once travelled with a Dominican colleague who also has a EU passport (through marriage/residence), and assumed he would use his Dominican passport to enter the DR. He presented his other passport, and when the immigration clerk asked for his tourist card he said, 'soy dominicano, hombre', and pointed to his place of birth (Santo Domingo) in the passport. He was let through without a comment.

In the case of 'San Cristobal' that might be a problem because there are other San Cristobals in other countries. Back it up with a birth certificate and speak in your most convincing Dominican accent!

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
rellosk said:
I thought you needed to show a Dominican passport to avoid buying the $10 tourist card. Are you saying that you've been able to convince the immigration officer without showing any proof of Dominican citizenship and avoided paying the $10?

That is true, I went to DR last summer and I was not required to get tourist card (I hold an American Passport but was born in DR) but my daughters were required to do so (they were born in US. I didn't even try to convince the clerk he told me "tu eres criolla $30 (USD) por las chicas" I was like cool how many presidentes can I get with my $10 hee hee.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
linamia said:
That is true, I went to DR last summer and I was not required to get tourist card (I hold an American Passport but was born in DR) but my daughters were required to do so (they were born in US. I didn't even try to convince the clerk he told me "tu eres criolla $30 (USD) por las chicas" I was like cool how many presidentes can I get with my $10 hee hee.

The immigration inspector was correct in charging your daughters. Because they are your daughters, what they have is a right to Dominican nationality. They are not Dominicans until they exercise this right by applying for the nationality.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
rellosk said:

Rellosk, in the case of Dominican citizens by birth, with a second nationality and foreign passport, they don't need anything other than their foreign passport to prove Dominican citizenship. The foreign passport usually lists 'Dominican Republic' as place of birth and that is proof enough for Dominican immagration. However, If your Dominican citizenship was acquired by anything other than Jus Soli (Latin, right of the soil) you'll need to prove your Dominican citizenship with an official Dominican document (ex Dominican passport) because your foreign passport will NOT list Dominican Republic as your place of birth.

NotLurking

Leily

Jun 2, 2005
I'll take my birth certificate

NotLurking said:
Rellosk, in the case of Dominican citizens by birth, with a second nationality and foreign passport, they don't need anything other than their foreign passport to prove Dominican citizenship. The foreign passport usually lists 'Dominican Republic' as place of birth and that is proof enough for Dominican immagration. However, If your Dominican citizenship was acquired by anything other than Jus Soli (Latin, right of the soil) you'll need to prove your Dominican citizenship with an official Dominican document (ex Dominican passport) because your foreign passport will NOT list Dominican Republic as your place of birth.

NotLurking

Well I think I better take my birth certificate tu proof that I'm Dominican , because I don't have an accent, is gone, I also lived in Venezuela for a few years and I'm married to a Chilean born men, so I don't think my accent would be sufficient to proof my birth right unfortunatly.
I do however have my cedula , and my old passport would that also do?

Now the other thing is if you think that only by saying I was born in San cristobal and making sure I speak dominican, would that also mean that my husband could do the same, since he was born in Santiago, (Chile) and he is "blanquito" so maybe they would even probably believe that he is Cibae?o!!!. (His passport also only says the town not the country where he was born).

Anyways thanks for all your help guys. Now I feel better prepare.
Regards
Leily