Dr-cafta

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Unless things have changed since last year, if you're Dominican you can't have spent over 6 months within the past 2 years.

If you're a foreigner, the discount is for the first 6 months after you receive your residency.

If there was an option to use either of these methods, which is superior?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If there was an option to use either of these methods, which is superior?

We were told that both are about the same, but we brought ours in as a returning Dominican and the cost was way less than we had expected. That makes me assume it's a lower cost than residency discount. We were told our car/year/make/model was going to run between $6-8,000USD. It ended up being about $4,000 including first plates.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
We were told that both are about the same, but we brought ours in as a returning Dominican and the cost was way less than we had expected. That makes me assume it's a lower cost than residency discount. We were told our car/year/make/model was going to run between $6-8,000USD. It ended up being about $4,000 including first plates.
Thanks. Would you recommend the agent you used?

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Yes, she was excellent and made easy work of the tax office. Jacqueline Sanchez 829-760-9095. She only speaks Spanish though. Tell her 'el hermano de Cesar' recommended her.

Thanks. I assume under either import scenario the car must be in the persons name for one year?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks. I assume under either import scenario the car must be in the persons name for one year?

To get the discounted rate, yes. And must be 5 years old or less [but it's really 5 years plus 6 months, as you have until following June]

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Ok so i spoke with a customs agent and now I am been told that the Origin doesn't matter because there is a clause that says canadian purchased vehicles don't apply to DR-CAFTA regardless of US origin. Unless I can prove it was bought in the US and brought into Canada. However he can't provide me with that clause. Where can I find the small stipulations like this?

Doesn't sound right. I would insist in seeing in writing where a car bought in Canada of US origin doesn't apply.

In the Dominican Republic, Dicoex is in charge of the application of the trade agreements.
DICOEX • ODCI

You could also visit the commercial section of the US Embassy here and they could help you look through the treaty.
Let us know what you find out.

Jan 9, 2004
To get the discounted rate, yes. And must be 5 years old or less [but it's really 5 years plus 6 months, as you have until following June]

Vehicle must be landed (be in the port) no later than June 30th of the year following the fifth year of the vehicles model year.

By way of example, a 2010 model year vehicle (not the manufacture date) has until June 30, 2016 to qualify.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

drdirectional

Aug 6, 2011
www.pristinepads.com
Update
Sorry Im a bit slow on posting this but better late then never. I finally got the vehicle in, here is the break down.
I drove the vehicle from Calgary to Miami on a family road trip over the summer. Originally I had planned to ship with Crowley and had everything prepared but when it came time to check in the vehicle they started to back track and asked for a US EIN number for tax purposes (which they promised to take care of). Being a Canadian I didnt have or require it but they insisted. So at the last minute I shipped with a small company right close to the airport. I dropped the vehicle with them the same day I spoke to them. So simple it was ridiculous. $800 to ship from Miami to Haina. 3 day delivery. No papers required except my proof of registration from Canada and paper from the bank stating there was no lein on it. They did the rest.

My customs broker in Haina quoted me $9000 originally without the shipping cost using the DR-Cafta arrangment. When it arrived they refused the DR-Cafta agreement because it was purchased in Canada. I never did find the legal clarification for this. Fortunately I was able to use my back up plan of one time residency import. This required an interview at Aduanas in SD and a 1 week waiting period for approval.
After 1 week I paid the aduanas $3000 for taxes and 10,000 peso for the customs broker. Since the vehicle entered the country in August I gained an extra year of discount from taxes. 2012 vehicle was approved as a 4 year old vehicle. Each year entitles you to more discount from taxes up to 5 years.

Next was the Placa. This proved to be a real nightmare because I had lost my cedula and I couldnt get the plate without a cedula even with a valid residency card. Then they wouldnt give me a new cedula because my residency was to expire in the next 3 months. So I had to renew my residency in order to get my cedula in order to get the plate….
Long story short they valued the vehicle with the aduanas evaluation price and charged me another $3500 for the first plate, I received it within 2 weeks.
Total cost $6725 in the DR and $800 shipping.
6500km journey over 14 days across Canada and the US. All in all the experience wasn’t that bad except for the cedula problem.