DR = Detroit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
The reason I started this thread was because I was researching crime statistics in several "bad" US cities. I came across that news site for Detroit, read some of the titles and thought, Jesus, those are similar to the things that are happening here. Such as: Home invasions, car jackings, police not showing up, etc.

It sad how this situation (DR crime rate) can be fixed. Thinking how NYC was in the 80's and early 90's and how drastically the crime rate dropped. Why don't these buffoons looks towards that example. I was just commenting something to a friend of mine that if, say, Santiago, would "tax" every household $250 per month you should be able to employ 18 police officers per "barrio". Take for example, Pueblo Nuevo, estimate that it has 3000 houses: at 3000 x $250 = $750,000 per month; paying each police officer $20,000 per month that's $360,000 in payroll. The rest can be used for infrustructure, materials, motorcycles, etc. So, those 18 officers, 6 officers will work 8 hours shift. Out of the 6, 4 can patrol the streets in 2 bikes while 2 stay at the mobile station. The government would have to put up the money for the mobile station. The only problem I see with this is that many many households won't pay the $250 saying that they don't have the money.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Sounds like a plan......I think it will work but there will always be those who do not want to contribute and will be the loudest complainers......Detroit is a result of no plan!Lived there for 30 years, used to go to Belle Isle on Sundays for picnics...went to Olympia and the Joe Lewis for hockey games.....saw some renovation when the RenCen was built and now I when I think of Detroit it seems like it was a dream as all I see is the desolation, burned buildings, poor people under bridges, hearing gun shots and gangs arguing, having to lock your car as you stop for a light so no one jumps in, yes it kinda reminds me of some old science fiction flicks where the city was desimated .........writing this has reopened my mind and I can see what it was and what a beautiful childhood I had in Detroit with so many parks and sports and fishing on the Detroit River I only wish they were not just memories !!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.