dr drivers license

poker12

Dec 4, 2007
anione can tell me what i need to get a DR license? Can I get a photo ID as soon as i get there?

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
What happened to me. I walked in with our local Policeman and expected to understand the process and do it right. To make a very long story short I was offered a license for 5,000 peso's and no test or forms to complete. I declined and asked to be treated like a Dominican. Well I was. I had to take a test, computer based, in Spanish. I explained I did not speak, understand, read or write enough Spanish to take a test. I had to take the test and ended up with a learners permit after driving for 50 years. I should have paid the 5,000 peso's. I know, that’s not the right thing to do, but they do not do the right thing by me. But I am in their country and try to do it their way. The bank charged about 1,200 peso's for the official documents. They drivers license place charged another 200 peso's for some one to complete the form. They did it incorrectly and I corrected it, so could have done that myself. They said their camera was not working so I went to a photo shop and paid 150 peso's for a very ugly picture. When I arrived back at the drivers license place the camera was working and they did not want my picture LOL. I'm 58 years old and have an expired learners permit. LOL. Gota love this place. This is what I get for listening to Robert LOL.

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Sorry, to answer your question they askedfor my cedula and that was it along with the document from the bank that I had paid the fee.

poker12

Dec 4, 2007
what if i dont have a cedula? where can i find one of these local policemen offering licenses for 5,000 pesos

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What happened to me. I walked in with our local Policeman and expected to understand the process and do it right. To make a very long story short I was offered a license for 5,000 peso's and no test or forms to complete. I declined and asked to be treated like a Dominican. Well I was. I had to take a test, computer based, in Spanish. I explained I did not speak, understand, read or write enough Spanish to take a test. I had to take the test and ended up with a learners permit after driving for 50 years. I should have paid the 5,000 peso's. I know, that?s not the right thing to do, but they do not do the right thing by me. But I am in their country and try to do it their way. The bank charged about 1,200 peso's for the official documents. They drivers license place charged another 200 peso's for some one to complete the form. They did it incorrectly and I corrected it, so could have done that myself. They said their camera was not working so I went to a photo shop and paid 150 peso's for a very ugly picture. When I arrived back at the drivers license place the camera was working and they did not want my picture LOL. I'm 58 years old and have an expired learners permit. LOL. Gota love this place. This is what I get for listening to Robert LOL.
If they'd treated you like a Dominican you could have got it for 500. :)

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
anione can tell me what i need to get a DR license? Can I get a photo ID as soon as i get there?

All depends what country your from and if you have a cedula.
If you don't have a cedula, then you cannot get a license period.

By all means go buy an illegal license, lets just hope you don't have an accident, as I guarantee your insurance company will not pay up.
Worse still, your be paying plenty of bribes and people turning up on your door step looking for handouts.

The Virginian, the reason I tell people to do it legally, is because I know two people that brought their licenses and had major problems. One is already US$7,000+ in debt to date with lawyers fee's, compensation claims and bribes. That's apart from the RD$130,000+ in repair bills.

But hey, what do I know, I have only lived here for years ;) hehehehe

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
All depends what country your from and if you have a cedula.
If you don't have a cedula, then you cannot get a license period.

By all means go buy an illegal license, lets just hope you don't have an accident, as I guarantee your insurance company will not pay up.
Worse still, your be paying plenty of bribes and people turning up on your door step looking for handouts.

The Virginian, the reason I tell people to do it legally, is because I know two people that brought their licenses and had major problems. One is already US$7,000+ in debt to date with lawyers fee's, compensation claims and bribes. That's apart from the RD$130,000+ in repair bills.

But hey, what do I know, I have only lived here for years ;) hehehehe

That's the part that all those that take the "pay" for the license don't find out until they run into a major fender bender and the insurance comp. is involved.

Read here and read it well: I'm Dominican 100%, born and raised in the DR!
THERE ARE MANY QUICK WAYS TO GET THINGS IN THE DR, BUT MOST WILL BECOME SO UGLY WHEN YOU NEED TO PRODUCE THE LEGAL AND PROPER DOCUMENT, THAT YOU'LL WISH YOU NEVER HAD DONE IT THAT WAY...

Just like many people are finding that they can't renew their old cedulas, get BC, get their licenses renewals, etc... So will you run into a non-moving wall in the future and being that YOU ARE NOT a Dominican but a foreigner living in the DR, you'll get milked by the system until dry!

Paper trail is needed b/c the JCE and other gov agencies are moving the vast paperwork into electronic data. If yours is not found b/c you took the easy pay way, then your documents are as good as a roll of Scott tissue.

Take your time and file correctly for all your official documents...
It's one thing to pay to cut the line and quite the other to cut the entire process to the limits.

poker12

Dec 4, 2007
well i need it for identification only that i moved to the DR, i will not be driving with it...

any ideas?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You do not need it for ID. If you do not have a Cedula you just use your passport, or better yet a copy of it for ID. This is common here.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Take your time and file correctly for all your official documents...
It's one thing to pay to cut the line and quite the other to cut the entire process to the limits.

Exactly. However you do it, you have to make sure you are 'in the system'. If you are not - big problems.
I too started out with a provisional licence for 45 days - no big deal - and then the full licence. It becomes renewable after 4 years & I posted last year about the improvements in renewal process compared to previously.
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/62487-renewing-dr-driving-licence-vast-improvement.html

The Virginian, I'm not sure if you applied for your licence before I posted that thread but if you are in Puerto Plata, as I think you are, the 'no intermediario' rule is very clear on the noticeboard outside. The sign is pretty large, too.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
The more important that he gets it lawfully...
If he provides a Driver License's data to his gov overseas, chances are they'll contact the local consular reps there to confirm the data...

If his question is: Can he get a fraudulent DR's license? The answer is yes...
Will it do any good on the long run? The answer is no!

Simple...

poker12

Dec 4, 2007
I think what poker12 means is he needs it to show in his own country that he is a resident of the DR, for tax reasons or whatever.

MZ

bingo

and i heard that the computers are so f-ed up there that even if they check my ID number can get lost in the system (whatever that means)