DR education

D

Duarte

Re: Mickey D will be tops...

I would disagree that a high school education is comparable to an 8th grade in the US. Maybe as it relates to the use of technology that is true but not in general knowledge (Math, language, etc) I speak from experience. I went to public schools in the DR. It wasn't easy, that I would say. I remember we had 102 students in one classroom in my freshman year. Anyways when we came to the US to attend college we were as prepared or better than most US students. We got better scores on pretty much everything than they did. We were I would say more rounded in things like History, Geography, Literature, etc. And we even kicked their behinds in Calculus and physics. The one difference was that the Americans had all seen or used computers. We had not even seen one, but as soon as were taught the basics we were up and running way ahead of most...I remember on teacher being very impressed with the fact that we all knew what Bernoulli diagrams were and how to use them. This was in a class that I took when I was a junior in college. We had been taught those concepts when I was a sophomore in high school in the DR.

E

ECH, M.D.

A question Juan Pablo. Just how long ago did you attend public high school in Santo Domingo? I get the impression it has been quite a few years ago and I also surmise that the school system has deteriorated markedly since your student days. Just as UASD has deteriorated from once being the Pride of the Caribbean to what it is today.
I also wonder how many in your class of 102 went on to university degrees? And out of those who went to University, how many went to USA schools? Did you ever think you might be the exception rather than the rule?
There are many bright, intelligent Dominican kids but and this is a big BUT....they are limited in their educational pursuits simply because of the less than adequate system the government provides them. You mention computers. Yes, important in today's world but I did not use a computer until I was almost ready to retire. Computers make learning nice, easy and, in cases, fun but what is desperately needed are simple things....like a library! I visited two schools that did not even have a library. The one that did have a library had books older than I was (and I am pretty old). Education is not for everyone, yet the government system of centralization and regimentation dictates everyone will learn at the same pace and the same level and do the same things. False premise. There are no schools for the "gifted"; I understand they do have a school for the mentally challenged but not sure what the curriculum is. They need to upgrade their educational system and bring it into the 21st century. They need to provide vocational schools to train those that are not academically inclined. You want to erradicate poverty, educate the children. You want to improve health, educate the children.
If you have trouble seeing the future.....just turn around and look at the children!

H

h johnston

Can anyone tell me about the standard of the international school in Santo Domingo. We are considering placing our 13 and 14 yr olds there next yr. thx.

hj

B

BruceA

I was wondering about current prices to live in the DR, as a resident, not a tourist. Why so expensive for McD? I heard from a resident that chocolate and pipe tobacco is very expensive. But doesn't the DR produce fine tobacco? Doesn't cacao come from Central/Soth America (and DR is a member of the trade agreements)?

Please reply direct to ana78@mail.ru

E

ECH, M.D.

CHOCOLATE AND OTHER EXPENSIVE THINGS

You have asked a question that I have never been able to find the answer to. YES! chocolate is VERY expensive here and I have no idea why.
and while on the subject of expense. Baskin-Robbins is SKY HIGH. Mickey D's is also expensive and my grandson won't eat there because he said there is NO meat in the hamburger. It is about the size of a postage stamp. Several of the other US type fast food franchises are extremely expensive and the value received is minimal. That is why average Dominicans are not patrons. I don't see how they stay in business. Never see many customers.

D

Duarte

I agree with most of what you say. I just had an issue with the comparison of a high school diploma from the DR being the equivalent of an 8th grade education in the US. I think there are differences but not by that much. I admit I was probably the exception and not the rule, but I was comparing myself with the top of the class in the US. I went to school in the late 80's. I couldn't say that it has deteriorated since then. Actually in my hometown it is way better now than when I attended. Education is definitely the key to development. The education system in the US does provide a lot of opportunities. Actually, as far as I'm concerned there's no excuse for anybody not attending college in the US if they really wanted to. However even with those opportunities a large percentage of the US population is functionally illiterate. One of the reasons, in my opinion, is the fact that nobody repeats a course in the US, because it is more important here to keep kids of the same age together, than to actually know the stuff before moving on to the next level. So a lot of people just go through all the grades without actually knowing how to read well, for instance.
On a different note, in my opinion, the one thing that's holding the dominican education back is government centralization. There needs to be a deep reform to update the curriculum, to enforce attendance up to a certain age, to provide the funds needed even if taxes need to be raised, to allow each school or at least school district to make their own decision on who to hire and how to spend the money, etc.

E

ECH, M.D.

JUAN PABLO, YOU GOT MY VOTE FOR PRESIDENT

Only catch......I am not a citizen and therefore can't vote but if I could I would vote for you. I think you have a complete grasp of the problems with the educational system in the D.R.
The "powers that be" continue on year after year with the same old agenda and methods. The problem I face constantly is the saying "if it has been working for 300 years, why change it." No matter that there is a new, better, more efficient way to accomplish the job. I actually had a 4th year surgical resident explain to me....."I know the way I do this procedure is all screwed up, but I know how to do it this way and so why change!!"
I really had a hard time believing he actually said that.
And I really agree with the part about many in the U.S. being functionally illiterate. You hit the nail on the head there. Do you recall the story of a quasi famous college football player who graduated from university and could NOT read a word. But he was a great football player. And as I recall he sued the University and won claiming he was defrauded his education or something like that ( I am not a legal eagle).
And one final thing regarding DR education. There must be jobs available for those who are educated and QUALIFIED. Not just because they have political connections. I know more than a few barrio youngsters that are educated but have no opportunity because they are not connected. Best example of that is the secretary at the hospital where I volunteer my time....she can't TYPE. Have you ever heard of a secretary that can not type!!! I won't bother to mention her spelling.
OK, YOU GOT MY VOTE.

M

Marc

The DR needs more Dominicans that are as well versed as you and that have the same vision.

marc

M

marykohn

Re: JUAN PABLO, YOU GOT MY VOTE FOR PRESIDENT

Met a Dominican cab driver while in SDQ in July. He had a degree in electronics and had worked for several companies in the DR. He said he couldn't make enough money at that job. His English was excellent.
But he was driving a cab. He owned a late model car and a late model guagua. If there was a group, he used the guagua.
Said he was building a new house for his mom.
How much education does one need to earn a living wage?