DR Has Faster Internet than the US

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
They do not need to upgrade to fiber, they just need to upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1 which supports 10 gbps down / 1 gbps up.

Are you aware that it costs more for a cable company to upgrade to DOCSIS 3.1 than it does to deploy a GPON fiber network.
But thanks for coming out ;)

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
If you had bothered to read my post above perhaps it would have saved you some effort.

Faster internet does not necessarily mean faster PEAK Internet. Even if a few users enjoy extremely fast Internet connections, it is POSSIBLE that the AVERAGE for the country or region may be relatively low.

So, a country with faster available PEAK rates conceivably could have lower AVERAGE Internet speed than another country.

Can you understand that?

In fact, per the respected Akamai report the US AVERAGE Internet speed is only 12.6 Mb/s, which is exceeded by many countries, including many small ones, and some relatively modest ones like the Czech Republic and Romania.

That report does not cover the DR, though.

P.S. I do NOT know whether or not the DR has an average Internet speed higher than the US. I just offered that as a possibility. One reason why the US average is relatively low is the usage of Satellite links. Such links are rarely used by normal users in the DR.

Yes, I read your post and it is utter nonsense. The average internet speed is still way under. My point was your point is nonsense, and with these musings, I'm sure the insight/advice on other topics will be just as useful, hence my banning statement.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
How many people do not have access to Broadband internet in cities like La Vega, Bani, San Pedro, San Francisco, etc.... to put it into perspective. I am sure it will be more than 1/3.
Why are you so sure?
They are NOT counting people with ZERO Internet. They are talking about people who do have Internet service, but not broadband service. That group includes, for example, people with Satellite Internet service, or some other form of non-broadband service.

Since Satellite links are not widely used in the DR, and many DR Internet users are "late comers", it is certainly possible that most DR Internet users are on broadband, since they had no other choice by the time they joined the Internet.

That is like saying that the DR Metro is much better than the average N. American or European metro. It is probably TRUE...for a trivial reason...the DR Metro started just a few years ago, and is still being extended, hence is much newer than the Metros in many European or N. American cities (of course they periodically upgrade their systems, but still a brand new system may be better).

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
yawn.jpg

Are you getting the message yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
It's not uncommon to have 100 mbps as "almost basic" Internet in Europe, at least in my parts of it... (Slovakia). 250 and 500 mbps is the "upper norm" and 1 gbit connections are now also available with many operators. 2015 is the year that most of them plan to upgrade plans and networks to offer 1 gbit. I had to laugh couple of weeks ago when I visited back home, I was reviewing some plans online, and 50/5 mbps was marked as "special discount plan for retirees and full-time students facing financial hardship". And yes, it was that cheap (like 6-7 euro per month or so, all taxes included).

The problem with the DR is the Duopoly Orange/Claro (Orange = Orange + Tricom), and the lack of / expensive upstream bandwidth to USA. It's still cheaper to lay huge optical networks under the ground (Europe, Continental USA) than to lay a submarine cable (Caribbean). On the other note, (the last mile) FTTH / GPON networks are much faster deployed in DR than in the USA or Europe, because there is no need to put the networks underground, Claro / Tricom just use power poles to throw their wires into the neighborhoods.

Fully agree, just adding to the pricing/duopoly in the DR: With every merchandise, people usually expect that when you buy bulk / larger quantities, the unit price drops. This is usually valid for services in telecommunication as well.

I?ve been using a Claro prepaid internet (not mobile) for years as a back-up connection, and - as I like to analyze everything - I always, when choosing the "paquetico", carefully think what do purchase. The pricing scheme looked strange to me from the beginning. Then I realized that the more data I purchase (within one paquetico), the more I pay per unit (Mb/Gb). Below table for reference:

150MB - 1 DIA RD $50.00
350MB - 3 DIAS RD $115.00
1.5GB - 7 DIAS RD $550.00
3GB - 30 DIAS RD $1,125.00
5GB - 60 DIAS RD $1,800.00
50MB - 1HORA RD $20.00
100MB - 3HORAS RD $30.00
200MB - 7HORAS RD $40.00

So in addition to bad customer service in general (my personal experience), they actually punish the customers who choose bigger plans, as opposed to rewarding them. Granted, with a bigger plan you get more time to consume the data amount, but if you are not a casual internet user, the data gets consumed rather quickly.

They do have excellent (in DR standards, again, personal experience) coverage, and are much more reliable than Orange or Viva, but their pricing does not even compare to the others.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
[/QUOTE]
Digital access is divided across the United States: 19 million people don't have access to fixed broadband and in cities like Miami, New Orleans and Dallas, over one-third of people do not have access to high-speed Internet."

So, once you consider the users mentioned above, the average Internet speed in the US could be relatively low (even if the maximal available is extremely high).

Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

Very clearly you would be the expert since the US is where you live

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I'm surprised that cloning cable modems never caught on here like it did in the US and in Asia.

bonao99

Jun 11, 2005
Yes, I read your post and it is utter nonsense. The average internet speed is still way under. My point was your point is nonsense, and with these musings, I'm sure the insight/advice on other topics will be just as useful, hence my banning statement.

Average US speed is now 31 Mbits,

"New Jersey had the highest figure with 57 Mbps while Idaho came in last with an average Internet download speed of 14 Mbps."

http://bgr.com/2016/01/02/us-internet-speeds-average/

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
I lost internet service one time in the last fifteen years due to a city-wide power outage. Every time I have gone to use my home internet in the last fifteen years, it has always been available.

The useless speed tests put my connection at 62Mbps.

Last edited:

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Internet speeds in the U.S. are more affected by users and traffic than the actual speeds offered by the ISPs.

Much like the roads, congestion creates a lot of problems for the speeds. NO matter how good and fast your connection is, the server with the data you need sets the pace for what's returning for your requests.

One point to make is that countries like Japan have dealt with congestion much better than the U.S. ever will get to.
Japan's internet speeds makes anybody feel like a spoiled brat.

The DR has very little congestion. It also pays the dues for having much of the backbone linked to the U.S. systems rather than a good spread with the other half in the old world.

Speeds in the DR will get better as Fiber becomes the cheapest medium to expand services and meet demand.

The prices are still out of reach for a many when it comes to the best speeds.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Altice Group to invest RD$6.2 billion in 2016

The Altice Group, the telecommunications multinational that acquired the shares of Orange Dominicana and 80% of the shares of Tricom in the country in 2014 presented their achievements in 2015 around the world and in the Dominican Republic yesterday, Wednesday 27 January 2016.

The company also announced that it would be investing some RD$6.2 billion in its Dominican Republic ventures this year

During a luncheon meeting with economic editors and media leaders, company CEO for the Dominican Republic, Abdelhakin Boubazine said he was satisfied by the achievement of the goals that were reached and of the expansion of their fiber optic network to reach 180,000 additional homes. For the first time, this has given these homes the option of a 100 mega Internet connection at the price of 10 megas and cable TV service with a greater and more varied content in high definition, he highlighted.

During the event, Michel Combes, the chief operating officer of the Altice Group stated that the company's priority was to maintain the accelerated rhythm of the global investments of more than EUR4 billion. He said this would guarantee a structure of the latest generation in all their markets together with their fiber optic network and mobile convergence capable of delivering broadband at a greater speed.

http://eldia.com.do/altice-invertira-unos-rd6200-millones/