DR Health Insurance

WRM

Aug 9, 2015
Yes, ours is Universal Suprema or something and I think there is a policy that is one step better. This one met our needs at the time (about a year and a half ago), but that reminds me I should review again. Based on some things others have said since, we might be paying too much - 120 USD/month for two aduilts. Kids are much less.

120 USD/monh?? That's it! We are moving to DR. We pay $900/mo (in FL) for two adults and two kids. Yikes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
as for my friends case, he went for a sheduled operation(no emergency nor accident or such), which been sheduled several weeks ahead of time, to fit his work shedule.
at a hospital where he was many times before during many years for minor stuff, with the same insurance card,
always covered, but never any big sum been involved, just the usual check up stuff.
this time the whole procedure been calculated, he been told what the total cost will be and his insurance card been accepted as always in the past.
on "payday" he got the nice notice, that the insurer (ARS Humano) will only cover the maximum of 100.000.- pesos, because of a "clause" in their contract which restricts the coverage of his plan to maximum 100.000.- pesos for a non resident.
he did check that stuff with his company, who have their knowleagable staff for legal things, and they came to the conclusion that it is correct, coverage for him, as a non resident, limited to 100K Pesos.
i never read the full fineprint of a insurance plan myself, not in germany, not here, and i have no intention to start such "studies". i rely on such things always on the opinions/explanations of the ones in the know, to decide which one is the right one for me.
as for insurance prices,
my own one is the ARS Humao Platinum Plan and costs actually(my august 2015 bill) RD$ 5.373,03.-Pesos per month.(that's US$120.- per person for the Platinum Plan).
they rise their premiums every july by 8%.
when i travel abroad, like during october and november with my babygirl, i pay a travel insurance for both of us, a german contract, which costs me less than 1 euro per day per person. never needed it for the Baby, but used it a few times for minor stuff/doctor visit myself in prior years, coverage been always complete and straight on, but again, i never had any biggie to report with them.
so that's cheaper than a local DR insurance plan.
i just mention that because someone mentioned a local DR insurance plan for snowbirds/several months visits.
i don't know what such travel insurance would cost for a Canadian or us-american,
to me the travel insurance taken in germany is cheaper than a local DR insurance.
i used that same travel insurance during my first time when in the DR.
it is limited as for the time frame to stay.
i would recommend, that the ones without papers, who have a insurance plan, check with their insurer directly about their own specific coverage. make clear that you have no papers and ask straight on about your coverage for that.
i can't tell such from myself, as i have always had my residency, even before i switched from my former german insurance on their so named "Exotic Plan"/for germans living in da Tropics permanently, to the local DR ARS-Humano Platinum Plan, which i have since well over 10 years now.
for the ones who work here in DR,
well, if you have a real job, a legal one, then you are registered with TSS.
their coverage is not bad at all, and for the same 5.91% of your monthly salary, which is your premium to pay(your employer has to pay 14.19% of your salary into the same plan), you get your self covered and can include(without extra payment, included in your 5.91%) one spouse and up to 3 children(children have to be minors), a good deal for beginners.
if you wish superior coverage, you can add a private plan(like for example a ARS Humano plan), hospitals accept combinations of several plans.
you use your 1st card and in case there is a good sum still open, use your 2nd card to get that sum down.

Mike

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks Mike..... I hope Rubio reads it.
The clause specifically limits non-residents - which was the original question , as i recall

WRM, here are two examples of health premium costs... above
Way cheaper here and the care is good.. you need to go to SD or STI for the best care but it is good care.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
120 USD/monh?? That's it! We are moving to DR. We pay $900/mo (in FL) for two adults and two kids. Yikes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, but remember everything medical costs less here. And, you might get medical care commensurate with what you pay - that is pay less, get less competent care. There are many stories about this on DR1 if you want to search.

A night in the hospital, for example, in private hospital, private room, can be only $50 per night (La Romana, Punta Cana somewhat higher), versus who knows what in U.S. - probably close to $1000.

Now very much off topic - OP asked if medical policy will cover non-resident. Adios.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Getting Medical Care in the D.R. that is competent is a matter of being an INFORMED CONSUMER and knowing WHAT THE PROPER TREATMENTS/PROCEDURES are from the start and encouraging (forcing) the provider of care to follow those proper procedures. The cost is LESS and the quality can be just as good or better than your home country, provided you are informed (or become informed) about your health.

absolutely correct. i had prostate removel surgery in POP some years back, and i opted for a suite, since i do not want anyone in any hospital room with me. i found out who was the master of that specialty, and requested his services. i was in the suite for 3 days after the surgery, then went home. the whole shooting match cost me less that 100,000 pesos, and i have not had a hiccup in 10 years. in the USA, the perdiem on a suite would probably have been more. not to mention the fact that i had the doctor?s personal phone number, to call him just in case.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
gorgon,
any comment on the robotic prostate surgery ?
I see the signs all over SD

Probably wasn't available 10 yrs ago - and I'm not in need - but it's one of those things I keep closer to the front of my brain than the rear.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
gorgon,
any comment on the robotic prostate surgery ?
I see the signs all over SD

Probably wasn't available 10 yrs ago - and I'm not in need - but it's one of those things I keep closer to the front of my brain than the rear.

i am not familiar with any of the recent advances on prostate interventions, but there appears to be a rash of new things going on there. a Jamaican doctor has applied for a patent for some radical new approach. i got the good old knife...anaesthesized from the waist down, so i could watch the boys work. actually, it was no where as fearsome as i thought it would be, and it sure beat wearing that stupid catheter, or however you spell it.

let?s hope you are one of the 50% of men who will not experience prostate disorders.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Fingers crossed... so far , so good.

It would interesting to find out more about the robotics in SD.
Might come in handy for somebody, some day.

Glad yours was success.......... not all go smoothly:disappoin

nordique

Apr 6, 2012
Hi , can any folks in here Provide me with some phone number or how to get a quote for health insurance in nc. thanks so much

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Get the whole insurance contract . Consult with a lawyer. If the small print does not say coverage is reduced without residency, and they deny claim, get a lawyer and sue. Also most of these companies have accounts in the USA or Europe for dealing with reinsurance they contract, sue sue sue in the developed country.

I think that Mike Fisher's friend story was not the whole story presented, most likely the friend slipped on payment or there were other issues involved. Maybe it was true and the insurance company counted on not being sued because if he was not a resident he would have been required to pay a bond in order to sue. But had they been sued they most likely would have come up with the payment. Or maybe the procedure was carried out in a medical facility they do not have contract with (out of network provider), etc. Again, I don't think we had the whole story there.

But the same might happen with any insurance for anything, resident or not. Insurances do not like payouts and they will always delay any claims payment. No insurance company would just jump happy out of joy to pay out your claim just because of the fact you are a resident, while they would be slamming door in your face in case you are not a resident. Insurance simply does not operate that way. Residency might be a factor, but it is not THE factor that determines insurance company's DNA (the way it behaves and does business).

there might be no point to suing the reinsurer, because he is only an excess carrier. the primary insurer covers the liability up to a point, and the reinsurer kicks in thereafter. if they do not insure if the amount of the loss is below 200,000, and the payout is 150,000, the reinsurer cannot be a party to the suit. they are not contractually liable.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
I noticed that Mike posted that he had PLATINUM coverage with Ars Humano for around $120 monthly.
I just got a quote for the SUPERIOR coverage for a Dominican Mother and her four children and it was
over $130 monthly (that's with the annual payment discount). I need to investigate the actual plan,
what it covers and where it can be used; but, in the meantime, does anyone on the board have an
option that is a bit more reasonable? Once again, I am not wanting coverage for myself - just the
dominican family. tks

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I, as a cancer patient for more than 6 years, also would like information about getting health insurance . My agent has toldme that he can not get a quote for me as I have had cancer two times and am too old . Is there no way to obtain a policy against a disaster that I have not yet encountered, such as a stroke or a broken leg . I have , of course my Dominican passport as well as another . It seems so strange that it is financially better for me to have my next major problem when I am travelling and covered by my travel insurance .
william webster I am a whizz on surgery for cancer and I can tell you that most medicos say it is far better NOT to have surgery for prostate cancer ..that is the very last resort .. and Senor Gorgan, I have had the catheter, without anesthetic, 16 times and the nastiest thing is pulling it out .

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I, as a cancer patient for more than 6 years, also would like information about getting health insurance . My agent has toldme that he can not get a quote for me as I have had cancer two times and am too old . Is there no way to obtain a policy against a disaster that I have not yet encountered, such as a stroke or a broken leg . I have , of course my Dominican passport as well as another . It seems so strange that it is financially better for me to have my next major problem when I am travelling and covered by my travel insurance .
william webster I am a whizz on surgery for cancer and I can tell you that most medicos say it is far better NOT to have surgery for prostate cancer ..that is the very last resort .. and Senor Gorgan, I have had the catheter, without anesthetic, 16 times and the nastiest thing is pulling it out .

do not remind me about that catheter thing. the only thing worse than having it is not having it.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
I had heart surgery performed in Europ 20 years ago and my platinum ARS Humano specifically excludes my heart in the policy but is good for anything else. indeed my prostrate problems in the period Jan-Mar 2015 cost them over $(RD)250,000 which was paid to HOMS without a question