DR hotel occupancy rate is dropping....

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
picking flight cost like that is such a fluid thing. For example it generally costs
more to cross the Mona passage in a flight to Puerto Rico than it those crossing the
Atlantic to Florida or even New York.

Last edited by a moderator:

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
"occupancy rate dropping"

uhm, guys(and gurls)... anybody read the article?
it says non-dominican visitors are up 2.2% this year.

so, no good to look at why fewer tourists are coming.
any chance one or a combination of the following led to reduced occupany rates?
  1. the building of new hotel rooms has simply outpaced the growth rate of tourism .
  2. the 102.2% of visitors vs last year aren't staying as long
  3. dominicans aren't going to resorts at the same rate that they were last year
  4. poor record keeping & gathering/calculating of statistics? (nah, not in DR!)

oceanbound

On Vacation!
May 31, 2007
I made my first visit to DR in April. I was there for 3 nights. Flew from JFK. The price of the weekend was well over $1000.

I was in SD and I have to admit I was a bit bored. I felt trapped in the hotel at night because it was not safe to walk outside the small zona colonial area. And, there was not much going on in the zona colonial unless you wanted to drink or eat ice cream. Plus, every local I met had a price tag attached to themselves.

My point is DR is an acquired taste. But, it costs a lot of money to acquire that taste. Until you become hooked or get that acquired taste, you are reluctant to go back. After my first visit, I am not sure that DR is my cup of tea. If the flights were cheaper, I might give it a second chance.

Last edited:

KeithF

Jul 9, 2006
www.cabarete.org
"occupancy rate dropping"

uhm, guys(and gurls)... anybody read the article?
it says non-dominican visitors are up 2.2% this year.

so, no good to look at why fewer tourists are coming.
any chance one or a combination of the following led to reduced occupany rates?
  1. the building of new hotel rooms has simply outpaced the growth rate of tourism .
  2. the 102.2% of visitors vs last year aren't staying as long
  3. dominicans aren't going to resorts at the same rate that they were last year
  4. poor record keeping & gathering/calculating of statistics? (nah, not in DR!)

Exactly. Lies, Damn Lies & Statistics.

If people coming has increased by 2% and new hotels result in 5% more beds, then 'occupancy' will drop by 3%. Use the stats that back up the argument you want to make... 'twas ever thus!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I made my first visit to DR in April. I was there for 3 nights. Flew from JFK. The price of the weekend was well over $1000.

I was in SD and I have to admit I was a bit bored. I felt trapped in the hotel at night because it was not safe to walk outside the small zona colonial area. And, there was not much going on in the zona colonial unless you wanted to drink or eat ice cream. Plus, every local I met had a price tag attached to themselves.

My point is DR is an acquired taste. But, it costs a lot of money to acquire that taste. Until you become hooked or get that acquired taste, you are reluctant to go back. After my first visit, I am not sure that DR is my cup of tea. If the flights were cheaper, I might give it a second chance.

I'm not sure what you were seeking on your first trip to the DR. If you were looking for sun and sand at a cheap price, you certainly would have been better off with a package to one of the all-inclusives in Punta Cana, Playa Dorada or Juan Dolio. 3 days in the Capitol could be a wonderful educational and cultural experience, but it would require some preperation and planning, which it appears you did not do.

As far as the cost of the flights is concerned, Round trip flights from NYC are regularly available for under $400, and about $140 of that is taxes and fees. If that's too much, try Atlantic City or Coney Island.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Regularly $400 ? Only in low season,high season would be more like $650. Going to the capital doesn't require anything but the willingness to go out and look around.

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
i have never paid more than 450 RT (after taxes and fees) from NYC (ok EWR) durring high season (usualy feb or march). just this past week i booked a last minute flight for 500...i found that to be a bit high so i cancelled.

the fares always go up in the summer..which i think would be low season...but many domincans go home durring the summer. The fare also spike around Easter & Christmas.

Truth is tho...a trip to the DR aint as cheap as it was 8 years ago (when i started traveling there). I dont stay in an All Inclusive...and food/restaraunt prices have doubled and the exchange rate aint like it used to be.

I still think it is a great deal tho considering how expensive other carib islands are.

One thing i notice with people i talk to here in nyc. Is that the DR is no longer considered and "exotic" destination. All they know are the big AI resort areas and after one visit they want to experience something more "authentic" and adventurous.

another minus is that the capital itself does not have a beach. I cant tell you how hard it is sometimes to find a travel buddy. I love the beach...and only like a little urban life while on vacation. My buddies want both...beach and real nightlife (not prostitute infested bars...and definitely not the sanitized entertainment offered at a resort).

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
Right now a RT ticket on AA or Jetblue from JFK-SDQ can be bought for dates from Sept.-Jan (includes high season) for $387 (total cost). I checked only weekend dates, so it might be less on a week day.

While it may be true that Santo Domingo can be enjoyed by simply being a little adventurous and going out, my point was that to maximize the experience by enjoying live music, theatre, etc, would require planning

aegap

Silver
Mar 19, 2005
If you look at the number give above by the OP, you'll see it appear Samana had had the largest 'fall-off' in rooom occupancy rate. well guess what? It so happens that a bunch of hotels in Samana were recently built or expanded, and just opened with the WELL BASED anticipation that the SPANKING NEW INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT at El Catey, Samana, which only opened in November, will eventually 'take off'. ..and the WELL BASED assumption that the SPANKING NEW MODERN highway coming from SDQ will soon be finished.

the following hotels just opened recently

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=14></TD><TD vAlign=top width=260><TABLE class=marco_foto cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=260><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>
mapa_samana_en.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD width=260 bgColor=#3e3d7d height=1>
tr_pixel.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>
tr_pixel.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Gran Bah?a Pr?ncipe Cayo Levantado *****GL(~200 rooms)</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Gran Bah?a Pr?ncipe Cayacoa *****(~300 rooms)</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Gran Bah?a Pr?ncipe Saman? ***** (~110 rooms)</TD></TR><TR><TD>- Gran Bah?a Pr?ncipe El Portillo ***** (~400 rooms)</TD></TR><TR><TD>
tr_pixel.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The 'fall-off' shoud mostly be taken care off with the highway been largely finished by the end of this year, and by Miami Air SOON STARTING the first DIRECT FLIGHTS from the United States to Samana International on behalf of Bahia Principe.

Juan Dolio is in a transition period
P.s notice Punta Cana, the tourism area that comprices DR's tourism's heart and brain, is going fool steam ahead.

Last edited: