DR waiting on pharma companies for delivery of vaccines

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I think it was on Bloomberg: Approx 5.8 million doses of vaccine administered worldwide daily. 5.4 years to vaccinate 75% of the world's population at this rate.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
And here is the govt. plan:

This is how the vaccination groups against COVID-19 in the country will be divided​

The first supplies have not yet arrived.​

Santo Domingo, RD
The vaccination process of the Dominican population, immediately after the first supplies arrive, will be divided into three priority groups.
Each of these groups will be made up of different phases, to reach a specific segment of the population.
In the first group to be vaccinated, there are four phases: IA, which consists of the front-line health personnel of the COVID center; Phase IB, the rest of health personnel; IC phase, adults over 60 years of age with comorbidities, prioritizing those who are in nursing homes and the ID, who will be adults over 60 years of age and the military population (Armed Forces) including the Army, Police, and Navy of the first line.
In the second group, Phase IIA appears, which consists of the population between 50 and 59 with comorbidities, and Phase IIB, which is the rest of the population of the same age, but without complications.
The last group is made up of Phase IIIA, where the population between 19-49 years old with comorbidities enters, and Phase IIIB, which is the same age range, only without complications.
The information was offered by the Government of the Republic, during a meeting this Saturday with the directors of the media.
The country expects at least four types of vaccines: Pfizer (7.9 million), AstraZeneca (10 million), and the most recent are from the Chinese laboratory Sinovac BioTech (768 thousand) and the Indian Covishield, developed by AstraZeneca. The latter is the first that is expected to arrive in Dominican territory in March.
Vaccination points
On the other hand, they reported that the points where the vaccines will be placed will be two: intramural and extramural.
The intramurals consist of health establishments that offer specialized care to patients in risk groups and elderly stays.
While the extra-murals are fixed vaccination posts located in strategic places in the different communities, as well as mobile posts to reach communities with difficult access.
As specified by the authorities in the National Palace, 300 vaccination centers will be available, of which each center will have five groups of vaccinators.
Each vaccinator will vaccinate 40 people seven days a week, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
After a person is vaccinated, they must wait 30 minutes at the vaccination center before any type of reaction.
The Government reported that it has a list of people over 65 who are candidates for vaccination and stressed that vaccination is voluntary.

Reactions: bob saunders
Jan 9, 2004
And here is the govt. plan:

This is how the vaccination groups against COVID-19 in the country will be divided​

The first supplies have not yet arrived.​

Santo Domingo, RD
The vaccination process of the Dominican population, immediately after the first supplies arrive, will be divided into three priority groups.
Each of these groups will be made up of different phases, to reach a specific segment of the population.
In the first group to be vaccinated, there are four phases: IA, which consists of the front-line health personnel of the COVID center; Phase IB, the rest of health personnel; IC phase, adults over 60 years of age with comorbidities, prioritizing those who are in nursing homes and the ID, who will be adults over 60 years of age and the military population (Armed Forces) including the Army, Police, and Navy of the first line.
In the second group, Phase IIA appears, which consists of the population between 50 and 59 with comorbidities, and Phase IIB, which is the rest of the population of the same age, but without complications.
The last group is made up of Phase IIIA, where the population between 19-49 years old with comorbidities enters, and Phase IIIB, which is the same age range, only without complications.
The information was offered by the Government of the Republic, during a meeting this Saturday with the directors of the media.
The country expects at least four types of vaccines: Pfizer (7.9 million), AstraZeneca (10 million), and the most recent are from the Chinese laboratory Sinovac BioTech (768 thousand) and the Indian Covishield, developed by AstraZeneca. The latter is the first that is expected to arrive in Dominican territory in March.
Vaccination points
On the other hand, they reported that the points where the vaccines will be placed will be two: intramural and extramural.
The intramurals consist of health establishments that offer specialized care to patients in risk groups and elderly stays.
While the extra-murals are fixed vaccination posts located in strategic places in the different communities, as well as mobile posts to reach communities with difficult access.
As specified by the authorities in the National Palace, 300 vaccination centers will be available, of which each center will have five groups of vaccinators.
Each vaccinator will vaccinate 40 people seven days a week, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
After a person is vaccinated, they must wait 30 minutes at the vaccination center before any type of reaction.
The Government reported that it has a list of people over 65 who are candidates for vaccination and stressed that vaccination is voluntary.
Quite the plan.

But it still leaves more than 25% of the population vulnerable..........those between 0-18 years? And that is because the vaccine(s) have not been sufficiently tested/approved for use by the younger population.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Quite the plan.

But it still leaves more than 25% of the population vulnerable..........those between 0-18 years? And that is because the vaccine(s) have not been sufficiently tested/approved for use by the younger population.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
That group is not very vulnerable.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
According to that plan, if I wanted to be vaccinated, I would have to wait until something like April 203, if I understand correctly.....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Quite the plan.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
It is more because the death rate is VERY low for those under 18 and much higher for those at higher ages . Here are the infection death rates as posted by the CDC:

AgeIFR Estimate
0-19 Years1 in 33,333
20-49 Years1 in 5,000
50-69 Years1 in 200
70+1 in 18
*80+ not included
Overall death rate is about 6 in 1,000 or about 0.6%

It is unlikely that anyone under 18 is going to be vaccinated any time soon unless they have comorbidity.

Reactions: bob saunders

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

Does that mean that unless they send AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccines almost immediately and a lot, most (or a lot, I don't know about the number of persons belonging to this group) vaccinations in the first phase (which I assume is the most critical, police, professors etc) will be done with these Chinese vaccines with as low as 50 % efficiency? It's nice that the govt has purchased the millions of AZ vaccines, but who knows when will these actually arrive here, so Chinese it is... I hope I'm misunderstanding or misthinking here??

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Does that mean that unless they send AstraZeneca or Pfizer vaccines almost immediately and a lot, most (or a lot, I don't know about the number of persons belonging to this group) vaccinations in the first phase (which I assume is the most critical, police, professors etc) will be done with these Chinese vaccines with as low as 50 % efficiency? It's nice that the govt has purchased the millions of AZ vaccines, but who knows when will these actually arrive here, so Chinese it is... I hope I'm misunderstanding or misthinking here??
Just a guess here: The DR will use first what it gets first. I could be wrong. Nobody knows when other vaccines will arrive.
Health officials from my home country have recommended to get what is available and not wait. Remember that reopening will be based upon
the perception that herd immunity is reached. CV19, will be here, there and everywhere.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Apparently the sinovac has been working well in the UAE.