DR1 news article: Long blackouts affecting life in North?

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
WELL

Will someone tap into one of those always on grids and do the rest of the north coast some justice. This is ridiculous... finally have power today and enjoying the ceiling fans... sis and I are taking bets on the time of the next outage...

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Right on XR

The Dominican "injuneers" are the best. It's the Spaniards that are screwing up the electricity. Chhhhhhh..t. It's midnight and it's still on in Sosua since early this morning. So far: RD. 7,000.00 this month on gazoil. May my planta live long... Oh BTW, my electric bill went up by 30%. I'm going to bed F'm all.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
wonnerful!

A truly wonderful thing happened today - we lost power for only 2 hours and it is still on. I wonder at whose expense though ;)

Somebody out there must have been out all day...
Well buddy, they took yours and gave it to us and it was great! Now for a luxurious hot shower!

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Personally ...

... I like the cold showers. But then I'm a guy. Not an artificial guy like CC either!

Seriously, we have had power sin problemas despues dos dias atras. Maybe one hour or two down arounf 1A or 2A this morning. That's all.

Tom (aka Where's my Moniker?)

maryanne

Mar 16, 2003
just got back

Just got back Saturday after spending a week in Costambar. I have never experienced so many power outages like this past week. Thank goodness the building I was in had a generator. We actually shut the generator off a few times just to give the thing a rest!

Lots of protests happening in the streets. The road into Costambar is covered in smoldering fires (right near the barrio) and each and every day, there are threats of more protests. As we drove through the other barrios, we could see all the remnants of the fires....one every 50 feet in some parts!

I'm not sure when this will all end.

GirlieGirl

Jun 19, 2003
Damn!

Aaaaaaaah I missed you. I thought you were coming on the 16th!!! How did the dinner thing go??? Did you do Buddies or somewhere else??? Yeah, the road is pretty bad... new rubbage each day... welcome to our world.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
here is a solution.

While you folks were sweating like pigs, I was comfortably watching TV and eating fatty foods in my centrally Airconditioned home in atlanta (living up the american dream).
Thanks god I was away and not cursing the endenorte while banging my fist on my warm fridge door.
Here is a solution:
call Eddy (english speaking dominican engineer) in santo domingo: tele. 856-8029. He got inverters at great prices that he fabricates himself (custom built for DR electricity... fluctuations, low power charging, spikes etc). His inverters never break down (not in my case....4 years and still going strong) and if you do manage to screw it up, it can be fixed for a couple hundred pesos as opposed to thousands of pesos for a trace unit.
Connect a minimum of 4 batteries for a small apartment or 8 batteries if you are going to connect lots of things to it. Get a 2kilo watt unit and you will never go wrong.... for an average house. The bigger the kilo watt the better but pricey.
I always have electric; i use low wattage bulbs (tube lights) and manage my electric well. I don't have fridge connected, only lights and fans and TV, oh and my PC. Its a 2 kilo watt unit with 4 batteries. I always have juice even if the lights go out for 24 hours. This is the best investment I have ever made in DR.