Dream of reloc. will remain a dream? Sigh!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
And don't forget the language course........for Wolverhampton, that is. They have an accent & a half!! Go to Carillion's website, they have a lot of documentation about their Caribbean projects. And we're all stocked up on gold, frankinsense & myrhh, thanks, but I did like the allusion to the Virgin Mary................or should that be delusion? ;)

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
Voyager said:
Dream of reloc. will remain a dream? Sigh! .
You should find out when and where the next EXPOS will take place so that you have many companies under the same roof. I think it would save you a lot of running around and it will also save you money that you can spend zipping down Presidentes instead.

Voyager

Mar 1, 2004
el gringo 762 said:
your self absorbed writing is enough to put any man asleep.

we'll bottle it and sell it like nyquil.

Oops! This is exactly what I was afraid of! That is why I began the initial message by writing like this:

"Maybe this is too personal, but what the heck!

I have been open before about my life, on this Message Board and so... I thought maybe some of you might be curious about the ongoing saga of Voyager... Or am I too egocentric? Hahahaha!"

I wanted to provide people with the opportunity to stop reading right there, by warning them that this will be "self absorbed". But you appear to have continued reading? Anyway, I hope you had a good sleep!

Nyquil, huh? Maybe a business opportunity there?

FORD

Nov 12, 2004
Voyager said:
I have been trying to find a way to relocate to Santo Domingo (only place in DR, that I can consider living in) but it is very, very, very difficult.

The lifestyle I want to have (including travels, being a "Voyager") require a decent income. Having read a lot of threads about cost of living in DR, been speaking to friends in DR and been visiting the country maybe 10 times now, I fully realize that it is NOT a cheap place to live. Just my travelling will require at least 10,000 US Dollars a year.

If I just go there, without having a job and maybe not getting one, the cost of setting up life there and sustain my lifestyle will consume all my savings in less than 4 years. Then what do I do?

Hi Voyager,

I am only a recent contributor to this board but after 7 trips to the DR I feel I'm qualified to at least add my 2 cents. On my 7 trips I have met (and shared a Presidente with)a respectable number of Gringos and Europeans who have taken the plunge and are now enjoying a new life in the DR, but I have met many, many, many Gringos/Europeans that are still in their "country of origin" and are dreaming someday of relocating.

Many more times than I'd care to remember I've shared a meal at the Mora Mai in Sosua or Vesuvio's in Santo Domingo with a table of Gringos who are "hell bent" trying to catch on the formula of how to move to the DR and sustain a comfortable lifestyle. What can we do here? How can we make a living here?

The answer each and every time (I'm sorry to say) is to accumulate as much money as possible, convert it into a healthy income stream -through private investments or annuities- and arrive in your new caribbean home with no unrealistic expectations that you're going to be able to earn the money once you arrive. :(

The compensation is so low for most jobs in the DR as compared to Europe or the States that it wouldn't be inaccurate to consider them "hobby's"!

I hope however that you make it happen and that someday you are able to realize your dream!
FORD

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
The approach FORD talks about is exactly what I am in the process of doing right now. I personally wouldn't consider making the move unless I had an income which would support a lifestyle I can be content with, totally seperate from anything I might earn in the DR. Since I'll be a mere scamp of 54, I expect doing nothing will probably get boring after a year or 2. By then, hopefully with some command of the language and a bit more knowledge of how things work, I'll probably explore a job or small business venture to keep myself occupied and augment my income.

I certainly respect the DR1 people and other expats I have met who have carved out a niche for themselves in business or the working world in the DR. I don't think I have the ambition (or cohones ;) ) to try it myself.