Drinking in DR

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
palenque2012 said:
That's what I hope to see in the DR when I visit for the first time in a month. Thing is, as i've seen from checking this site in the last few months, marijuana is very taboo. I've also searched the archives and it seems at least on this post board it's no OK. I was hopeing to get a better idea as to why. Does it have more to do with a law that says its not ok to do it in the DR, or is it about running a website, or is it that the DR is truely non-tolerant to marijuana? I'm wondering that's all, is the usage of herb by locals that taboo in the DR? :tired: Sorry :cry:

PS A country so tolerant to drinking couldn't be that untolerant to smoking could it?

Are you kidding? Start with the USA. A boozer society that locks people up for a year for possession of a joint.

It is against the law, don't bring it, don't smoke it, don't buy it unless you want to be set up by a tigre and the cops.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
A country so tolerant to drinking couldn't be that untolerant to smoking could it?

You've hit the nail right on the head. it's the alcoholic beverage industry lobby that has made marijuana a worse crime than murder in the DR. Traditionally, it's been taxation on alcoholic beverages that keeps the government running. To get high on anything but alcohol is akin to terrorism in the DR.

ReaLOnE

Feb 27, 2005
listen i havent been n D.R for a while now.. But i know enough to tell you that they have rules for everything including drinking.. Its so crazy in my home town that the times we did get cought drinking and doing anything dumn by the cops out there. All we had to do was hook them up with some cash.. It didnt matter if it was anything from $5 pesos to any amount of dollars. Most cops out there dont really care about Drinking and all that so there for they dont say anything. I had cop friends out there that would be on duty crazy drunk. Basically money talks in D.R! But its like everyone else is saying noone really cares out there. You got your 3 year old buying smokes and beer for there parents,teens living it up getting drnk, and everything its kind of sad from some peoples point of view but hey thats life in D.R and its great from some point of views.. I know as soon as i get there on tuesday , first thing im doing is getting me a PRESIDENTE. What we tell people out here when they ask us if there is a age limit for buying and drinking alcohol. we just tell them as long as you can lift and tilt your elbow your good.. witch is kind of messed up but its true.. Got to love my country!!

DunHill

Aug 29, 2003
www.dunhill.ws
It's just about countries:
In Holland , you have a BIG marijuana and ask a cop for a light without a problem
In the DR, you stop next to a cop, half drunk, beer in 1 hand, and he will check if you use your safetybelt, and will help you to find your way home.

Its just were you are, learn and adapt (the goodies)

There is a legal age for buying acohol, 18, but WHOM of the Dominicans, walks by him/herself to a colmade to buy a brugal or a presidente, thats a job for the kids, ANY kid in your neighbourhood.
When i came here 6 years ago , i went to the colmado myself, and everybody told me that was WRONG
Now , when i need something, i just call the first kid in sight, and let him buy what i need (not just only drinks)
And everybody tells me i do RIGHT

Sometimes a kid refuses to do the job, for sure his parents will correct him for that, a few whips with a belt will learn some respect.
Thats not my way of "teaching", but its the way it is in the DR.

palenque2012

Jan 29, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Are you kidding? Start with the USA. A boozer society that locks people up for a year for possession of a joint.

It is against the law, don't bring it, don't smoke it, don't buy it unless you want to be set up by a tigre and the cops.

What is a tigre? Is that a fed? I agree the US has some horrible laws against pot. And they also push those laws on other countries. Thing is, most people in the US that don't drink or smoke seem to see smoking a joint is much less damaging to society then drinking let alone driving. I can understand not wanting every gringo that steps foot into the DR running around smoking huge joints, I guess i'm trying to get a feel of how locals view other locals smoking. Is it more or less viewed as the same as hard drugs? Or is it just the fear from the cops? Not trying to compare apples and oranges here just trying to understand the oranges. :tired: