Drivers License renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 21, 2007
Had an unfortunate experience. Traveled yesterday to the US for a week full of meetings. Arrived at the rental car location to pick up my car. When I went to pay, they said that they could not rent to me because my DR drivers license had expired in February 2021. I no longer hold a US license. It was a late night panic, two driving hours from where I needed to go, but thankfully I have good friends who have come forward, each offering me transportation to one place or another throughout the week.

Anyway, I read that previously others had renewed an expired license by simply paying a fine. Is that still possible? Do I need to pay at the bank first or do I do straight to Puerto Plata? What paperwork is required? Is there additional testing?

Thanks for the help!

Nobody

18+++
Apr 10, 2020
FYI:

As of 1 September 2021, those renewing their driver’s license (category 1) will have to pay RD$1,900 up from RD$1,100. The cost is RD$2,200 if the license has more than a year that it has expired; 3,300 if two years and 4,400 if it has a three-year expiration date. The license renewals are for a four-year duration.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
You can pay at he License place.... credit card if you like

No paperwork - eye test only
When I went to the Puerto Plata office to renew my licence about a year ago they weren't accepting credit cards and I was sent to line up at Banresevas to pay. I don't know if that was a temporary glitch.

By the way, the Licence office at Puerto Plata is not by the baseball stadium any more, it's near the cathedral.

Reactions: cavok

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
You can pay at he License place.... credit card if you like

No paperwork - eye test only
I went to the office in Sambil here in SD a couple of months ago.

They asked for my Cedula, took my picture, and a minute or two my new license. No eye test, no nothing else.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
That's what I want - no eye test..... cataract fears !!
Why not fix your cataracts? Had that done 10 years ago. Best thing I ever did.

Had contact lens before but not anymore.
Took a few days after for color to be right but then it's clear sailing.

And to think those nuns were wrong about going blind. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro
Aug 21, 2007
Thanks to all for the help! In the US licenses are used as ID like a cedula here. I don't think I pulled my license out once and showed it - even to the police who I can usually charm and move on with just a short conversation that begins with the word bendiciones......so it is no wonder several of us had expired licenses. I have learned my lesson!

Again, thanks. I think the thread can be closed.

Reactions: DRdreaming

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks to all for the help! In the US licenses are used as ID like a cedula here. I don't think I pulled my license out once and showed it - even to the police who I can usually charm and move on with just a short conversation that begins with the word bendiciones......so it is no wonder several of us had expired licenses. I have learned my lesson!

Again, thanks. I think the thread can be closed.
Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.