DRSol bites the dust....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
CyaBye3015 said:
My guess is that anyone (with the exception of a few) that has tried to participate on that site was either expected to conform to a particular point of view, or chased away!

My guess would be that the 12 people that conformed to that? particular point of view? were unable to sustain the site.
So totally true. I, as well as many others, made a sincere effort to be supportive participants early on. The founder managed to drive a lot of good people off the board with his vicious personal attacks and back stabbing behaviour. It had potential........in the control of somebody who was a little less histerical.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Sorry also to see DrSol leave.

I don't think I have really posted here in the past, but have been a member for a couple years more or less. (Not as SantiagoDR, but as a subcribed News member). I was subscribed to the news here so I could stay informed when out of the country. I migrated to DrSol mainly because Dr1 did not post news on the weekends and holidays.

I did not "conform" to DrSol, but I was in agreement with the issue of Gun Control. My opinions were solely mine, whether they were liked on not.

Well with DrSol gone, guess I will be getting my news from here now. I have never been able to pick up Spanish enought to read, listen or speak it enought on my own.

Must be because I am over 60. lol :laugh:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Where at you live, old son?

Santiago???

Send me a PM and we can read the papers..

HB :D:D

cork

Aug 23, 2003
DRSol

I am in agreement with HB. I found DRSol to be a friendlier place to post initially. Then several things happened to cause me to worry about the future of that site. When the hackers got into it and it was shut down for a while, it never seemed to have recovered. Probably part of the "what have you done for me today" age.

I have noticed a change in this board too. DR1 has become more user friendly, with less bashing and flaming going on.

I think we all need to do a better job of understanding what the posters have to say and not get caught up in the grammer, syntax and spelling. To disagree with a poster is OK, to call he/she ignorant, or to invalidate the point made, because of their failure to use spell check, or wrong punctuation will cause them to stop posting. RIP DRSol. Good luck on future endevors Tom.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I actually found DRSol before DR1. Grahame, Ginny and others were very helpful with answers to just about any question I had when I first starting travelling to the DR. As a newbie, I also really apreciated the daily exchange rate "cheat sheet" they posted on the front page. After the site went down for awhile, I never really went back much, have been on this site, and a few others ever since...

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Camden Tom said:
So totally true. I, as well as many others, made a sincere effort to be supportive participants early on. The founder managed to drive a lot of good people off the board with his vicious personal attacks and back stabbing behaviour. It had potential........in the control of somebody who was a little less histerical.

Tom, I knew you wouldn't last long on that board, as you are better than that.

Anna, I couldn't have said it better. All my respect and kindest regards to you, GWB and Ginny, but so so long, d'arsehole! The only sad thing about the DR1-bashing site closing down is that it opens up too many more possibilities for sick sockpuppets to tarnish this site once again (I am referring to d'arsehole himself).

lo(so very)l here

Last edited:

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
cork said:
I think we all need to do a better job of understanding what the posters have to say and not get caught up in the grammer, syntax and spelling. To disagree with a poster is OK, to call he/she ignorant, or to invalidate the point made, because of their failure to use spell check, or wrong punctuation will cause them to stop posting. QUOTE]

I agree with you cork, aka Tom. There seems to be the belief on the part of some that it is necessary to have an initiation of new posters by belittling their posts, attacking their grammar, etc. I fear after an "initiation" like that there is a tendency to wait a long time before making next post.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Drugdog said:
Now that DR1 has been growing with the addition of the expanded travel forums I would hope that the old attitude of the past does not raise it's head.

Who's attitude, the people that run DR1 or some of it's posters?

Be specific, many times some of you have bashed DR1, when at the end of the day all you had was a personal grudge with a particular poster.
Don't throw all of us in the same box.

Nothing has changed our end, we have done what we have always done.
That's promoting the DR and building DR1 into one of, if not the most popular web site in the Caribbean region.

Fuel

Jun 29, 2006
I agree with cork. I checked DR1 all the time, and never posted beacuse I felt a little intimidated. Lots of bashing and it seemed if you weren't a norht coast rugalar you didnt belong. Im happy to say that my experience the second time around has been great. I enjoy and learn something new on here almost everyday. So keep up the good work.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
cork said:
I think we all need to do a better job of understanding what the posters have to say and not get caught up in the grammer, syntax and spelling. To disagree with a poster is OK, to call he/she ignorant, or to invalidate the point made, because of their failure to use spell check, or wrong punctuation will cause them to stop posting.
Amen .

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
It takes time

Fuel said:
I agree with cork. I checked DR1 all the time, and never posted beacuse I felt a little intimidated. Lots of bashing and it seemed if you weren't a norht coast rugalar you didnt belong. Im happy to say that my experience the second time around has been great. I enjoy and learn something new on here almost everyday. So keep up the good work.

This happens to each and every one of us and I am no different. Coming in as a newbie, making mistakes and some enemies along the way. Finally coming into your own and becoming "known" to the regulars as someone that wishes to add to this site and not take from it.

I was invited to bash other people on this site for one reason or another. I won't do it, it is not what I am about and is not why I am here. LOL, I am known and can be seen as a bit sarcastic but I am not here to make attacks. I have learned from past mistakes I have made and have moved on, as for the others that haven't (their problem not mine).

I joined just as everyone else. I have a lot of knowledge to share with others that ask. I am also curious about other parts of this gorgeous island and want to ask those that do know.

Have fun, meet people on this site and share what it was that brought everyone together in the first place. La Republica Dominicana!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Bad foundation, bad structure.

Now visible on the DRSol website....

"At its peak this amounted to 40,000 unique visitors every day"

Can this statement be made by a sane man?

Bowing out with grace might have been a better idea than trying to dish out one last load of krap.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Rocky said:
Now visible on the DRSol website....

"At its peak this amounted to 40,000 unique visitors every day"

Can this statement be made by a sane man?

Bowing out with grace might have been a better idea than trying to dish out one last load of krap.

If you search around enough you will find a website stats logger that will make your site look busy.

I got the google search bot into a loop on one of my sites once and got about 60,000 hits in an hour with 0 actual visitors.

I thought I had a real popular site until I learned to interpret the stats.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Will this really help DR1

By bashing another?

Sure you will definitely get more members from the closed... but think about the real reason this is still running strong..... the owners, and the members willing to help if they can.

So I don't think there is no reason to bash.... but rather move on and work on your plan the better. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.