Earthquake - 5.36AM

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Got up and walked a sort distance to the ocean. No tsunami.

Is this the reccomended way to check for a Tsunami? Walk down to the beach and look towards the ocean? :cheeky:

Sounds like it was an minor one. So hopefully no one got hurt.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
Mother Earth is grumbling all over!!!

~It seems like there are more and more earthquakes happening lately, Mother Earth must be making adjustments....wonder when and where the BIG ONE is going to hit....it seems like its only a matter of time..

~Stay Safe~

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
My calmest dog here in Jarabacoa got really weird and barked a lot at nothing for a while....a few minutes before the quake it turned out...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i slept. what on earth do you people do at night? it's for sleeping! :)
but i will admit that once in my parents block of apartments in poland there was a fire on the third floor, we were on the ground floor. we slept through fire, the arrival of fire brigade, evacuation of some of the tennants, water works - all. all four of us (parents, brother, myself). woke up in the morning to the smell of burn :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Something woke me up at around that time but I wasn't aware it was an earthquake, in any case wouldn't have all the dogs in the neighbourhood gone crazy barking?

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
Here in Santo Domingo Este, Alma Rosa II. I live on the 4th floor and it woke us up and shook pretty good, set off car alarms too.

Dafishguy

Bronze
Oct 30, 2007
Earthquake? What Earthquake! Milka and I slept through it. It was much different for the Haiti quake. We really felt that one. I hope everyone is safe today.

Take care,

Rick

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If we lived in California,or Japan,this would be a "non-event"!
Last time I fell out-of-bed here in Santo Domingo,it broke windows in Santiago!
Cris Colon
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Yep felt it here in Cotui as well. Woke me up and wasn't sure if it really did shake as it was just a few seconds.

May 12, 2005
Not to side track this thread but my wife and I were talking about the quake and she mentioned that in Santiago a huge area with uneven faults was marked by the government as unstable to build. This line runs from Jacaqua down the mountain through Gurabo and under HOMS Hospital. Apparently builders who owned or bought the land removed these markers and sold solars and built there anyway as they were making lots of money. Anyone else know of this?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Was definitely strong here in Bani. Woke everyone up and is the talk of the town today.

Fortunately, it was the side-to-side shaking (lateral) rather than the inside-the-basketball shaking (horizontal) and it was over quickly. I was in Santiago when the earthquake hit Haiti: I felt both types of waves and it seemed to go on forever.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Had to share this. It's an article from CNN about the earthquake here. But the article is written from a perspective that it is really all about Haiti. I'd start a new thread, but I had too much drama yesterday.

(CNN) -- An earthquake hit the Dominican Republic Thursday, the U.S. Geological Survey reported, almost exactly two years to the day after a massive quake devastated the neighboring nation of Haiti.

The 5.3 quake was centered in the south of the country, about 170 miles (270 km) east of the Haitian capital Port-au-Prince, the USGS said.

General Juan Manuel Mendez of the Dominican Republic Emergency Operations Center said there were no reports of damage yet, but added: "We will be checking once it is daylight."

Jul 4, 2010
Reporting from Azua

The quake was epicentered about 20 miles Southeast of here. Vigorous horizontal shaking which lasted less than 10 seconds. No damage to our stone, mud and waddle, palm thatched cabin. In Azua town the new hospital (Taiwan) sprouted many cracks, the road leading from Ban?, was cut off at the path (called El N?mero).

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I felt it I put it down to having wind till I read here- I got up at that time as it woke me up