Earthquake 9:39am

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Nonsense.
Today's was a light one, very gentle.
We've had much stronger shakes.

m'frog
Based on the data showed, this would rank modest. The epicenter was near Cotu?, according to some newspapers.

-NALs

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I was in front of the computer and thought that my daughter was pushing my chair. I turned around and didn't see her, then it moved again. I ran like hell and picked her up, which creeped her out. In the old days I would have just kept typing.

Yay for motherhood!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
The last major earthquake to hit the DR occured 3 or 4 years ago, with the most affected areas being Puerto Plata and the Cibao. If you do a search you might find the threads of expats writing about their ordeal with the earthquake and the aftershocks.-NALs

It was 2003. A 6.5 followed by a 5.2 followed by loads of lesser ones over a 3/4 month period.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Tremors occur frequently in the DR with the one felt today being about as strong as a tremor gets.

Earthquakes occur less frequently than tremors.

Keep in mind that the reason the Caribbean islands exists is due to two factors:

1. Active volcanoes which is how every island (including Hispaniola) got its start. The only islands with active volcanoes today are small islands in the Lesser Antilles (ie. St. Lucia, etc). Montserrat has the most infamous volcano when half of the island (including its capital) was destroyed when their volcano erupted spewing toxic ash for days (so much ash was released into the air that it actually affected the air quality of places as far away as San Juan, Puerto Rico and to a lesser extent the south eastern portion of the DR) and a giant clyroplasmic avanlanche which pretty much wiped everything in its path.

2. Each and every single island sits on major fault lines which is where the Caribbean tectonic plate meets the Atlantic plate. Hispaniola has the largest number of faults of any island and is among the most active parts of the Caribbean as far as earthquakes are concerned.

The two most worrisome fault lines is the one which crosses the Cibao from east to west and is gradually causing the Cibao Valley to rift apart and the second one (and presumably more power) is just off the north coast.

There are other fault lines south of the island and in other areas which, once they become active, you will feel them on Hispaniola.

The last major earthquake to hit the DR occured 3 or 4 years ago, with the most affected areas being Puerto Plata and the Cibao. If you do a search you might find the threads of expats writing about their ordeal with the earthquake and the aftershocks.

-NALs

There is a difference between earthquakes and tremors? Can you explain?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
There is a difference between earthquakes and tremors? Can you explain?
Tremor = a light and quick movement, no big deal. Some people feel it and others don't, even when they may be next door neighbors.

Earthquake = you know when it hits because 1. everyone feels it and 2. buildings collapse, roads are destroyed, aftershocks follows, people are at best psychologically "shaken" and at worst traumatized.

Thus, what occured and is the topic of this thread was a tremor and what occured in 2003 was an earthquake followed by various tremors of various intensities, but less intense than the earthquake itself.

----------------------------

tremor:

noun
1. an involuntary vibration (as if from illness or fear)
2. a small earthquake
3. shaking or trembling (usually resulting from weakness or stress or disease)

Source (after clicking here, scroll half way down and you'll see it)

earthquake:

noun
1. a series of vibrations induced in the earth's crust by the abrupt rupture and rebound of rocks in which elastic strain has been slowly accumulating.
2. something that is severely disruptive; upheaval.

Source

-NALs;)

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
A fairly big shaker...........

...........largest we've felt since the big one about 10 minutes ago today.........5:30am Thursday 6/14/07............. POP - Costambar...........

Everyone out of the houses in the neighborhood...........

The Virginian

Bronze
Mar 16, 2007
Yep, sure did here in POP at the base of the mountain. No one out their houses but a lot of car and house alarms going off. All appears to be ok.

C

Chip00

Yep, sure did here in POP at the base of the mountain. No one out their houses but a lot of car and house alarms going off. All appears to be ok.

I felt it here this am in Santiago near Gurabo around 6 am or so.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
According to the Puerto Rico seismic network, it was the seismic station at Presa de Sabaneta, DR, that picked up the tremor, placing the epicenter in the DR SW. For year, I've speculated that surface water pressure triggers tremors and even major earthquake. I remember almost half a century ago, when a dam built close to the town of El Tocuyo, Venezuela, and as soon as the artificial lake filled up from the Tocuyo river dam, a major earthquake totally destroyed the quaint colonial town with heavy loss of life. El Tocuyo had never experienced a major earthquake up to that time. There are many experiences worldwide that suggest that the weight of recently deposited surface water can trigger tremors and earthquakes, so the recent heavy rain fall in the DR may be a factor in the recent tremors in the DR.

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yep, here in Puerto Plata the dogs woke me up to a rocking movement, I looked out the window and saw the pool agitating like a Maytag washer.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think our cat got worst of it. we woke up to all this shaking and minovio hugged me (he's scared of earthquakes when i prefer just to go on sleeping). the cat thou had no one to hug and no idea where the enemy was coming from. walked putting his feet as apart as possible all morning looking around suspiciously.....

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Puerto Plata, June 14th, early morning hours (~04:00-05:00)

I did not really weak up, but I remember noticing my bed wiggling and wondering if I had gotten company... it must have been around 4 to 5 in the morning. Then it stooped and I thought "gosh, this must be the first time I ever felt an earth quake" and kept sleeping. I had not even gotten full consciousness. It was more like one of those dreams where you notice you are indeed dreaming.

I was told today by locals that it was 4 points (?).

Yesterday, I bought a flash light and set it up next to my bed, together with my pants, with my passport, some money and keys in the pockets :D

... J-D.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
I did not really weak up, but I remember noticing my bed wiggling and wondering if I had gotten company... :D

... J-D.

reminds me of that old song, that at some point, went like this....

Yo tengo una mala ma?a, que a m? mismo me da pena, que yo me acuesto en mi cama y amanezco en cama ajena....