Earthquake at 7:11

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The tsunami in Japan was about 9 meters high. What is the verticle distance down from the malecon in Santo Domingo to the ocean level?
I kid you not. I just watched a 48 minute documentary on YouTube lastnight which focused on March 11th thru 14th in Japan when that earthquake hit. Killed over 18,000 people. Video was released two years ago to commememorate the 10th year anniversary. Weird.

I felt a good shake here in the center of Santiago. It woke me up and had my neighbors scrambling outside of the building. I was so tired I didn't bother going out. My landlord told me a few years ago, so long as the building shakes left to right we're. If goes front to back we're screwed.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
There was another shake this morning at 4am. Not as strong as the first one but it was shaking my bed.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Unless all the maps of the fault lines and troughs are wrong , then the alleged expert who said that the tremor this week was on the same fault line as is Puerto Principe must need his glasses tested .. the recent tremor was along Los Muertos trough. Perhaps that name is even more disturbing .!!

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The tsunami in Japan was about 9 meters high. What is the verticle distance down from the malecon in Santo Domingo to the ocean level?

It varies. Maybe 3M on average. Most of that area is high-rise apartment blocks and I imagine they would withstand a tsunami if they have been built to withstand hurricane-force winds. But earthquakes are another matter - I was told that's the reason that building insurance is expensive here, because a quake is a strong possibility and would destroy a building entirely, while a hurricane would probably only take out the windows and cause internal damage.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
It varies. Maybe 3M on average. Most of that area is high-rise apartment blocks and I imagine they would withstand a tsunami if they have been built to withstand hurricane-force winds. But earthquakes are another matter - I was told that's the reason that building insurance is expensive here, because a quake is a strong possibility and would destroy a building entirely, while a hurricane would probably only take out the windows and cause internal damage.
Simply notice that Santo Domingo still has many of its principal colonial buildings and none that are in ruins or no longer exist was due to the effect of an earthquake. The same couldn't be said of for example Azua or La Vega. Their original towns had to be abandoned many centuries ago, guess why... You can still visit the remaining ruins in the original sites where these towns were built.

Needless to say, many of Santo Domingo's colonial buildings are more than half of a millenium old and have yet to suffer debilitating damage from any earthquake. And no, these buildings were not built to withstand earthquakes better than the buildings in the original La Vega or Azua. In fact, most modern buildings in Santo Domingo are built to withstand stronger earthquakes than many of the colonial buildings for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It startling how many earthquakes are happening. In the last couple of days we had a terrible one in Turkey/Siria, and now a strong one in Buffalo, NY, the strongest in 40 years. There have been a couple of smaller ones on the news the last few days.

Maybe it's got something to do with the Earth's core that supposedly stopped spinning?

Reactions: CristoRey

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
It startling how many earthquakes are happening. In the last couple of days we had a terrible one in Turkey/Siria, and now a strong one in Buffalo, NY, the strongest in 40 years. There have been a couple of smaller ones on the news the last few days.

Maybe it's got something to do with the Earth's core that supposedly stopped spinning?
Or then again maybe this was predicted?

Then he said to them: “Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes, famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003

The one in Buffalo was a nothing. It was 3.8 on the Richter Scale and I slept right through it!

I was wondering about the cause since Buffalo is not an earthquake region, usually.

We had extreme cold within the last week. Since earthquakes are the result of movement along fault lines, I've been pondering whether or not the cold-caused contraction of metals in the crust of the earth, followed by the warmth-caused rapid expansion, had anything to do with it.

On Saturday it was zero degrees Fahrenheit at six in the morning and twenty-four by mid-afternoon. Granted, those are still cold temperatures, but the kinetic energy of molecular motion increased by a factor of 24 within nine hours.

The earthquake took place twenty-seven hours later.

Last edited:

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The earthquake that takes place in an earthquake-prone location is at its base the rapid release of potential energy in the Earth's crust. In those locations, the tectonic plates move and shift, storing potential energy. A very rough analogy would be the snapping of a stretched rubber band.

The Buffalo quake was an anomaly, with a possiblly different mode of production.

/La Profe removes teacher hat and retires.

Last edited:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The earthquake that takes place in an earthquake-prone location is at its base the rapid release of potential energy in the Earth's crust. In those locations, the tectonic plates move and shift, storing potential energy. A very rough analogy would be the snapping of a stretched rubber band.

The Buffalo quake was an anomaly, with a possiblly different mode of production.

/La Profe removes teacher hat and retires.
In Jan. of 2020 a 7.7 earthquake shook several buildings in the Miami metro area. The center of the quake was located about 73 miles northwest of Lucea, Jamaica. It was about 6 miles deep.
Florida is known for a lot of crazy things but earthquakes aint one of them. Weird.