Earthquake...what to do?

fender

*** Sin Bin ***
Dec 9, 2006
holy vacca batman

Rolling off the bed is fine if you can. In the 2003 earthquake that's what I tried to do & I really did try. I could get my legs to roll but not the top half of my body, QUOTE]

ouch! "step away from the twinkie" !!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Ditto! and I could not roll off my bed because my bed was rolling! It was dark and I did not know where I was, where my bed was going, where my bedside table was on the way to, or what my name was .. :laugh:

yeah it was all so confusing in that hazy sleep/shock state of mind where you don't know is it a bad dream or some joke or the end of the world. The first time in my life where I thought for sure I was gonna die and its a feeling I don't like at all. The 300 aftershocks (out of which I probably felt 100 over 9 months) didn't help at all, at one point I was pulling out mattresses on my pool deck since there'd be at least 2 or 3 aftershocks every night that would scare the pizz out of ya. Next thing you know your dog is scratching himself hitting the bed post or a truck comes down the strreet and you run out of the bedroom in panic from the vibrations. After a while you get used to it but I don't think I'll ever be the same after that.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
yeah it was all so confusing in that hazy sleep/shock state of mind where you don't know is it a bad dream or some joke or the end of the world. The first time in my life where I thought for sure I was gonna die and its a feeling I don't like at all. The 300 aftershocks (out of which I probably felt 100 over 9 months) didn't help at all, at one point I was pulling out mattresses on my pool deck since there'd be at least 2 or 3 aftershocks every night that would scare the pizz out of ya. Next thing you know your dog is scratching himself hitting the bed post or a truck comes down the street and you run out of the bedroom in panic from the vibrations. After a while you get used to it but I don't think I'll ever be the same after that.
I don't think it bothered my senses as much it did you, but I do remember not feeling like the ground was stable for the longest time, similar to the feeling you get when you first step off a boat.
One of my buddies went back to the UK, and would not come back until at least 2 months had passed without aftershocks.
It's kind of a belly feeling, or a gut feeling, almost nauseating.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I don't think it bothered my senses as much it did you, but I do remember not feeling like the ground was stable for the longest time, similar to the feeling you get when you first step off a boat.
One of my buddies went back to the UK, and would not come back until at least 2 months had passed without aftershocks.
It's kind of a belly feeling, or a gut feeling, almost nauseating.

Well remember that I had 10 tons of concrete collapsing next to my window, it makes quite a sound when it fallss down 10 feet froom its pilings.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Well remember that I had 10 tons of concrete collapsing next to my window, it makes quite a sound when it fallss down 10 feet froom its pilings.
Hey, I wasn't calling you a wooz, or anything like that.:D
Just explaining the different symptoms I had.
Part of my brain is defunct, so I'm not likely to get the full gambit of reactions.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I think anyone that experienced that earthquake had after effects, ranging from mild to severe. It was a very traumatic experience and sure to leave a scar.

For me, it wasn't just the violent shaking but also that terrible roar. Sounded like a freight train going through the floor below us or a big airplane on the roof. The violent shaking and the frightening roar waking you up in the middle of the night is something you will never forget and I don't think you ever sleep quite as soundly again.

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
The worst experience i had whas sitting, drunk as hell at a bar and due to the earthquake the bar came towards me. Not knowing that it was an earthquake it was wierd

Greetings

Johan

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
...It's way better to have a plan already formed. ...QUOTE]

Unfortunately, it will provide only peace of mind, like a stewardess going about her routine of showing passengers how to put on correctly the flotation device kept under the seat, in the event of an accident, notwithstanding that no passenger aircraft has ever survived an impact with the sea. And also, as much peace of mind as those drills shown on TV, where the school children in Puerto Plata are told to get up from their desk, right on cue, and crouch next to the wall with arms covering their heads. You should have noticed that most of the damaged caused by the earthquake was to school buildings, fortunately the quake struck at night. There is very little being done to incorporate modern seismic construction standards in public buildings in the entire country...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net

Unfortunately, it will provide only peace of mind, like a stewardess going about her routine of showing passengers how to put on correctly the flotation device kept under the seat, in the event of an accident, notwithstanding that no passenger aircraft has ever survived an impact with the sea. And also, as much peace of mind as those drills shown on TV, where the school children in Puerto Plata are told to get up from their desk, right on cue, and crouch next to the wall with arms covering their heads. You should have noticed that most of the damaged caused by the earthquake was to school buildings, fortunately the quake struck at night. There is very little being done to incorporate modern seismic construction standards in public buildings in the entire country...

I am pretty sure there have been impacts with the ocean or water where passengers survived. The hijacking that ended in a crash just off Maritius in the Indian Ocean and the Air Florida plane in the Potomac are just two examples. But of course passenger surviving a crash into water is more likely to be the exception than the rule.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com

That's kool.
I have no problem with someone having a different opinion.
I believe that I now know more what to do if or when an earthquake strikes, and I would certainly get off my bed the next time, instead of trying to hold onto it, as I did.
Having a plan, has saved my life in the past, more than once.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I am pretty sure there have been impacts with the ocean or water where passengers survived. The hijacking that ended in a crash just off Maritius in the Indian Ocean and the Air Florida plane in the Potomac are just two examples. But of course passenger surviving a crash into water is more likely to be the exception than the rule.
Without a shadow of a doubt.
Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.
Mind you, big airplanes have less of a chance, I believe.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
According the the National Seismological Institute there was a temblor felt in the Northeastern region of the country. The temblor was measured at 4.8 in the Richter scale as occured at 5.34 AM, with a duration between 2 to 3 seconds.

ElNacional

mommacat

Apr 12, 2005
There was an earthquake off the coast of Japan earlier today measuring around .8 on the Richter. They have issued a tsunami watch for Alaska, northern coastal sections of BC as well as northern Vancouver Island.

The earlier posts were a gentle reminder to check supplies etc. This is a definite wake up call!:paranoid:

azabache

Apr 25, 2006
There was an earthquake off the coast of Japan earlier today measuring around .8 on the Richter. They have issued a tsunami watch for Alaska, northern coastal sections of BC as well as northern Vancouver Island.

The earlier posts were a gentle reminder to check supplies etc. This is a definite wake up call!:paranoid:

Excellent idea...... someone suggested that evey family should have at least a 5 day supply of drinking water and food--not just in the DR but where ever you live. It seems like a good idea to me.