Earthquake

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Saturday night at 8:30pm we felt a jolt that was strong enough to move the furniture in Las Galeras. Nicole was sitting at the comp and the desk moved and I was sitting in the rocker watching TV when the chair suddenly swayed back as the building moved. The jolt was accompanied by a soft, deep booming sound. Just prior to the single tremor, one of our dogs started to bark for no apparent reason. However afterwards, I remembered that some animals sense the 'quake and exhibit strange behavior just prior to it hitting.

Although our hotel's buildings suffered no apparent damage (they're built on solid bedrock), I'm sure some cracks will show up later in the concrete. I've had a doorway shift in past tremors just enough that the door stuck and had to be shaved to refit the casing. And knowing that the southern end of the San Andreas fault lies west of here toward the center of the island, I'm sure this quake was felt much stronger in other parts of the island.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Last Saturday morning I experienced my first quake that I was aware of. I woke up both sweating from the heat wave and shaking. First thing I thought of was how much I had to drink the night before and to get up and put my hand by the Air Conditioner.

I thought I had the DT's. My whole bed was giving me a massage:)

This happened in Woodstock NY. WOW!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Saw tape last night of the damage

Seems that your county supervisors need money to repair those roads...Looks like you had a good one.

Andy? Come on, old fellow, not the San Andreas Fault, that one is in California.....

There is, however, a fault line that runs down the length of the island from you place to mine and out to Monte Cristi. According to some earthquake people this is the division between the North American and the Caribbean tectonic plates. Back in 1946, you guys were very near the epicenter of a very large quake. That one would have kicked you out of the rocker....

HB

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Hi HB,
When I first moved down here I was told that the very southern end of the San Andreas fault terminates in the DR. Apparently the San Andreas section is part of a very long fault line that ends here. Of course I could have been given erroneous information. And thanks for the info about the division between the tecktonic plates. I guess that means that the north coast of the DR will eventually fall off into the ocean just as the California coast is about to do the same,..."slip slidin' away" as Paul Simon would say. Did you feel anything in Santiago? From the deep booming sound that accompanied the event, I would guess that the center of this one was somewhere toward this end of the island, if not out here on the peninsula.

Have you heard anything lately from Ren and Ellen? They've not checked in lately so I guess they're not back from their latest trip. Mail me.

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Eathquakes....

The San Andreas fault runs literally thru my backyard. How it could end up
in DR is above my head right now. Let me check this out.

May be I won't have to buy tickets any more in 10 million years... if it's true.

We go thru < 5.0 type quakes quite often. The biggest one @ 7.0 was in '89
it made the lamps hit the sealing. Quite scary. They tell us the BIG one is
still to come. X

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Fault Lines

Andy

If I recall from my college days, the "Ring of Fire" of which the San Andreas Fault is part of (The SA Fault title is usually used as a reference to the area of the fault in Northern California) runs from Russia, across the Bering Sea, down through Western US, across the Caribbean and back to South America terminating somewhere in the South Pacific. This all constitutes one tectonic plate with various names for the same fault line

I would check my "information" (it is a Sunday and I have to work, very confusing!) but there are only a few definable "plates" and I believe the DR sits on the same one as Northern California

Janice

Last edited:

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
Jazzcom I also had the pleasure of that same earth quake, it was about 6 or so in the morning and my headboard was banging the wall, I thoughy hey my husband dosnt even wake me up before he goes at it
sperm.gif

By the way I live in rochester!

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Jessica-ah....You're making headboard jokes and you haven't said ONE WORD about your wedding!!

How did it go?

(Just to remain on topic: I felt the earthquake last week too...)