Earthquakes

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I have a building with some apartments for which I pay quite a lot for insurance against earthquakes and hurricanes. Somebody said to me yesterday that I was mad, because in the case of a big event the chances of the insurance companies paying out was nil. Any thoughts?

Bigger insurance companies are re-insured by world wide underwriters who spread their risk among the world's geography. There are maybe 3 insurance companies on the island that fit this description, that could survive and an island wide disaster.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Bigger insurance companies are re-insured by world wide underwriters who spread their risk among the world's geography. There are maybe 3 insurance companies on the island that fit this description, that could survive and an island wide disaster.

Such as MAPFRE BHD?

Norberto61

Jun 21, 2015
The next one will be on July 13th about 8 am - it will do little damage but will shut down the airport for a week or two causing me to miss my flight home - dogs are sensitive to this and I have conferred with my golden retriever Buddy and he says this is what will happen

Aug 6, 2006
According to what I have read, many millions of years ago, the Barahona peninsula was a separate island that collided with the rest of Hispaniola, and there is some sort of sunbjuction where these two islands met, and a fault line that runs under the ocean. This is the cause of earthquakes on the island.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Now ya got me worried. My carport-garage design looks just like that collapse photo. Naw, Im in Sosua and we dont get earthquakes here.