easter. again. :-(

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Why is that foreigners hate Habichuelas con Dulce, it seems like only we Dominicans enjoy it.

porque los gringos no les gusta que se liga lo agrio con lo dulce. :)

Unfortunately, all of my daugters are hooked and for goodness sakes even drink Malta India.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Ahhhh....who had to mention Cadbury's Cream Eggs!! I have such a craving for them now! Last time I had one I was very disapointed at the size...I remember as a kid them being much larger...but then again I guess my hands were smaller too...lol !! If anybody happens to see any on the North coast please be so kind to let me know...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
porque los gringos no les gusta que se liga lo agrio con lo dulce. :)
Agrio? You mean salado. :) In any case I don't classify habichuelas con dulce as a mixture of sweet and savoury. Beans are neutral - if you sweeten them they are sweet, if you cook them with salt and vegetables they are savoury. Like the cheese in cheesecake or carrots in carrot cake, and other foods like chestnuts and peanuts that can be prepared as sweet or savoury. I'd define strange sweet and savoury combinations as more like dishes like sweet and sour pork, duck a l'orange, turkey and cranberry sauce, which are all quite popular with gringos.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Agrio? You mean salado. :) In any case I don't classify habichuelas con dulce as a mixture of sweet and savoury. Beans are neutral - if you sweeten them they are sweet, if you cook them with salt and vegetables they are savoury. Like the cheese in cheesecake or carrots in carrot cake, and other foods like chestnuts and peanuts that can be prepared as sweet or savoury. I'd define strange sweet and savoury combinations as more like dishes like sweet and sour pork, duck a l'orange, turkey and cranberry sauce, which are all quite popular with gringos.

Agrio means sour (not salado)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago

Gringos would still classify beans as a "salty" food and that is why so many have the aversion of eating habichuelas con dulce.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Someone mentioned that why did we go from talking about
Easter to Habichuelas con Dulce, the answer is this is a traditional Good Friday dish or dessert. Its one of those foods that you have to grow up with in order to like it.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
It's whatever you grow up with...you eat enough of it you end up liking it. It's like Americans having turkey with gravy at Thanksgivings. I can do the turkey, but I cannot bring myself to eat the gravy (Sorry it looks like barf to me...this is after 18 years in The US). Another one is root beer ( I have yet to find a Dominican who likes root beer), yet we love Malta India, sardines, arenque and of course Habichuelas con Dulce.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Easter great time for vacation; but every year people get killed in accidents.

Here is the number 04/13/2009:

34- Car accident
20- Drunk in the water
8- Alcohol intoxication

JJ

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It's whatever you grow up with...you eat enough of it you end up liking it. It's like Americans having turkey with gravy at Thanksgivings. I can do the turkey, but I cannot bring myself to eat the gravy (Sorry it looks like barf to me...this is after 18 years in The US). Another one is root beer ( I have yet to find a Dominican who likes root beer), yet we love Malta India, sardines, arenque and of course Habichuelas con Dulce.

The gravy is not too different from some Dominican gravies I've eaten, less the tomato paste. After all it is just oil, salt and flour.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
it's true that hab.con.dulce is an acquired taste - as with boiled platanos. my son is 18 months old and he'll eat anything... except those.
and of course my husband keeps trying and trying... i'm sure some day the poor kid will give up and just eat the stuff.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Gravy as in sauce, I suppose? Sofrito, maybe?

From MW:

Main Entry: gra?vy
Pronunciation: \ˈgrā-vē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural gravies
Etymology: Middle English gravey, from Anglo-French grav? broth, stew
Date: 14th century
1: a sauce made from the thickened and seasoned juices of cooked meat

It is common in American English to call the sauce that accompanies cooked meat "gravy".

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I'd define strange sweet and savoury combinations as more like dishes like sweet and sour pork, duck a l'orange, turkey and cranberry sauce, which are all quite popular with gringos.

You know, the other day I saw what Chip wrote about gringos not mixing sweet with savoury & I thought at the time, half the Chinese takeaways in Britain would have gone out of business if that was true :cheeky:.

It's like Americans having turkey with gravy at Thanksgivings. I can do the turkey, but I cannot bring myself to eat the gravy (Sorry it looks like barf to me...this is after 18 years in The US).

I can understand that, it's the colour. The first time I saw American gravy over 40 years ago, it was being poured over sandwiches :rolleyes:. I'm a Brit and sandwiches to us are dry so seeing this event was a bit of a culture shock. So was the colour & the taste. To us Brits gravy is a much darker brown (more like chocolate sauce, suarezn, in case you were going to mix it's appearance up with anything else...:cheeky:) and British gravy has real 'body' to it, from the meat juices.

As to Habichuelas con Dulce, first time I tried it I actually quite liked it, all apart from the aftertaste of the condensed milk. Second time I added chocolate powder which did away with the aftertaste. This is probably tantamount to original sin to most Dominicans but it worked for me.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
From MW:

Main Entry: gra?vy
Pronunciation: \ˈgrā-vē\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural gravies
Etymology: Middle English gravey, from Anglo-French grav? broth, stew
Date: 14th century
1: a sauce made from the thickened and seasoned juices of cooked meat

It is common in American English to call the sauce that accompanies cooked meat "gravy".
Yes, I was providing clarification for Dragonfly.

Lambada said:
As to Habichuelas con Dulce, first time I tried it I actually quite liked it, all apart from the aftertaste of the condensed milk. Second time I added chocolate powder which did away with the aftertaste. This is probably tantamount to original sin to most Dominicans but it worked for me.
My friend made it with normal milk instead of condensed milk and it made all the difference. I think she probably also used a bit less sugar than usual. Delicious.

May 31, 2005
Thank you for the clarification. I thought that all gravy was white. Now I know the definition of gravy. Thanks. I remember when I was at a breakfast buffet in a hotel and I took a bowl of gravy with me to the table thinking that it was oatmeal. Everyone on the table looked at me funny and I just said oh, it is salty. Everyone burst out laughing.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sounds like the traditional British bread sauce which is yummy with roast chicken.

What are the ingredients of that white American gravy?

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Sounds like the traditional British bread sauce which is yummy with roast chicken.

What are the ingredients of that white American gravy?

This recipe represents what I saw people make for Thanksgiving dinner: Gravy, Brown Sauce, and White Sauce recipe

I think there are different ways of making this sauce, but this one seems to be one of the simplest. People make flour sauce in my country, but with tomato paste added to it. So, it tastes sour and has red color.