Eating FISH: Ciguatera: We are in a month without an "R"!

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Good Idea

I think Marco just volunteered his place for an informal get-together to see if we can eat some of the above-mentioned varieties of some small, ill-smelling, rotten, discolored, old smelly-arsed seafood from god knows where. Rocky , didn't I hear you say your place was fine for such a gathering.? Bruno told me telepathically that the idea is bad to the bone. It's low season, I guess we're all somewhat bored, and sad, so we need something to look forward to. Sandy-girl can maybe do a fish-cake! Don't mean to be presumptuous, but it could be sumptuous. I'll donate one hook, you donate one hooker, Chip00 can donate one hookee, and the line will form by itself. No promises here. Just a thought.
Shoot me down if inappropriate.!!

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I think Marco just volunteered his place for an informal get-together to see if we can eat some of the above-mentioned varieties of some small, ill-smelling, rotten, discolored, old smelly-arsed seafood from god knows where. Rocky , didn't I hear you say your place was fine for such a gathering.? Bruno told me telepathically that the idea is bad to the bone. It's low season, I guess we're all somewhat bored, and sad, so we need something to look forward to. Sandy-girl can maybe do a fish-cake! Don't mean to be presumptuous, but it could be sumptuous. I'll donate one hook, you donate one hooker, Chip00 can donate one hookee, and the line will form by itself. No promises here. Just a thought.
Shoot me down if inappropriate.!!
It's close, but no cigar.
We will do the 4th of July BBQ party with the ribs & steaks & burgers & sausages & dogs, but no smelly fish.
And of course, Sandy will be making home made pies & cakes.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Vegan

So my vegan dreams just went to shyte!
I'll have to make a run to Islabon for some
robalo when the rain, if it ever does, stop.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I first heard this

That's why you'll never see a sailor eat barracuda .. high up in the food chain and high levels of mercury because it eats smaller fish.

The R months? There may be something there - perhaps to do with temperature, maybe with something else, but people that don't eat fish during R months don't get poisoned. (I learnt about the R months in the DR. Never encoutered this belief on another island.)

I heard this as soon as I moved to Florida. Don't eat fish in the months with out an R, so they said. Only has to do with saltwater fish, and the higher in the food chain the higher the amount of the toxin.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I agree with this entire post , the 'R''s are for oysters etc.

Interestingely enough, the bahamians have built up a resistance by eating barracuda.

When you go charter fishing , you will catch many of those and they are most welcome for the locals.

Believe it or not a Barracuda in the bahamas is what a pig dinner is to DR families

Lambi, which is callled conch in the Bahamas sells for $15 / lbs , here in the DR it's almost free. The locals just do not know how to market this very tasty and valuable protien source.

If someone were to train .........

I might be able to enjoy this type of meal on the beach , so that I was not to be interrupted, buy beggars

If this land is about beggars, how on earth could anyone call the DR, Paradise
It's more than oysters and shellfish.
Regular fish that are caught by our local fishermen, are poisonous at this time of the year.
I believe it's from eating the coral, but don't quote me on that.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
100% about the coral it extends to all of the U.S Virgin islands as well.

Here is the funny thing about the local fish fry"s . They sell Parrot fish which is an exclusivve coral eating fish. Lime's and Aloe are a tropical cure all

I lived
Yeah, but you're indestructable.
Us mere human beings..........