Education in the Rep Dom.....?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A. What large segment of the American population?

B. Who said Catholics were bastions of moral superiority?

If children know nothing subsequently it is because they were taught nothing consequently. Fairy tales and supercilious dogma included.

A. Doesn?t matter which ones.
b. Regardless of the failings of the Catholic Church, and the sins of some of it?s priests, the fact is that they teach right from wrong and morals in both Church and school. In fact even in Dominican public schools they teach morals.
Most Dominican parents that I know are good parents that teach their children right from wrong. Guess you hang with a different crowd.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
A. Doesn?t matter which ones.
b. Regardless of the failings of the Catholic Church, and the sins of some of it?s priests, the fact is that they teach right from wrong and morals in both Church and school. In fact even in Dominican public schools they teach morals.
Most Dominican parents that I know are good parents that teach their children right from wrong. Guess you hang with a different crowd.

A. It does matter which ones. You make a statement "A large segment...". So I ask "who". Thats the equivalent of saying "Most of..." How do you know its "most of" or "a large segment" if you dont know of any? Which by the way, most is greater than 50% and a large segment is greater than 1/3.

B. I have my son in a Catholic school and apart from the hokey indoctrination, it performs better than public school. But teaching morals? Ha! It sounds like that but I doubt it. After all, what was that Inquisition all about? And they didnt actually act morally in the best interest of the indigenous folks in this hemisphere did they? Wow, according to you them Catholics really can sell the soup. Do I hang with a different crowd?? Yea, I do not know any genocidal types in my circles.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Sadly

Gmiller is realistic. It is true I have been 'screwed' hundreds of times in my life but I do believe my education allows me to move pass them.

power of forgiveness is amazing

This has to do with religion not whether I believe expats can change things in the DR. I do not have to invoke forgiveness because I am not angry at anyone.

Now that we have broached other forms of eduction; What education is missing when grown men at the airport 'extort' money for themselves? And even more to the point feel it is socially acceptable.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A. It does matter which ones. You make a statement "A large segment...". So I ask "who". Thats the equivalent of saying "Most of..." How do you know its "most of" or "a large segment" if you dont know of any? Which by the way, most is greater than 50% and a large segment is greater than 1/3.

B. I have my son in a Catholic school and apart from the hokey indoctrination, it performs better than public school. But teaching morals? Ha! It sounds like that but I doubt it. After all, what was that Inquisition all about? And they didnt actually act morally in the best interest of the indigenous folks in this hemisphere did they? Wow, according to you them Catholics really can sell the soup. Do I hang with a different crowd?? Yea, I do not know any genocidal types in my circles.

a. If you go to the site that tracks whether American politicians tell the truth both Mr Obama and Ms Pelosi are pretty manipulative with the truth and invent the truth when they are refering to things their political oponents say. SO I would say almost all republicans, many independents, and some democrats. That makes up a large segement of the American populations. Then there are those that will support their chosen politician regardless of the crimes they commit.
b. I had two of my sons in Catholic High school due to the higher academic standards. Don?t misread me I?m not a fan of the Catholic Church or any other religion, but I believe that the Christian religion advocates do a reasonable job of teaching morals. I am not Catholic but know some of the head priests and nuns here in Jarabacoa that run the Catholic schools and know that they are concerned with producing well educated moral Dominicans.

Mar 1, 2009
BACK TO THE SUBJECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Perhaps expats and Dominicans can band together, proceed to open up a school, bring in quality educators and produce highly intelligent and moral individuals that will inspire a renaisance, a golden age in DR. The school would have to have high tech equipment, teach yoga, tai-chi, latin, philosophy, field trips to the country side and to the barrios to do some social work, showing the kids that the poor are not the 'other' but fellow Dominican's who can also perhaps reach his or her own potential.

Foreign languages, French, English, Portuguese, Patwa, Arabic and or Hebrew.

Another course could be tiguerage 101, this is where the kids learn to become street smart and avoid how to become a chopo or a pariguayo.

LOL sorry I couldn't help myself. A school that incorporates the latest teaching methods I see in the North American schools would be great. Also make the students environmentally aware, instruction concerning solar and wind would be a plus.

Reactions: AlterEgo
Mar 1, 2009
I see also Distance Education is missing in DR. A University of Phoenix or a University of I dunno Dajabon that teaches online and allows one to obtain their degree that way. Many Dominican's abroad would take advantage of that, maybe.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
you could band together and open more schools that only the elite can attend? like santiago christian school, doulous and carol morgan? YES!! That will solve the problem! ALl of the familias de appellido can pay more than a humble family of four makes in 5 years for one year of education for their child!

You could invest in the public school system - or even in the private schools your kids attend. Go be present. Offer to help in the office - if you speak Spanish offer to take some slow kids and get them on level. If you offer help, they'll take it, but be specific because they don't know what to do with help. Especially free help.