Education Minister calls for mindset change; criticizes wasteful spending

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Angel-Hernandez-Desayuno-Corriío-El-Dia-1024x504.png

Appointed in August 2022 to replace President Luis Abinader’s first choice for Minister of Education, Angel Hernández has been blunt about what he has found at the Ministry and what needs to change.

During an interview with the Corripio Media Group, Hernandez summed up that the billions invested after Danilo Medina allocated 4% of the GDP to public education in 2012 have been wasted. The change of administration in 2020 and the appointment of former minister Roberto Furcal did little to make a difference.

“The money that has been invested in the education sector has gone through the holes of the sack, because the main concern has not been the mission of the education system, that children learn,” stated the highly reputed educator.

Hernández says that until there is an acculturation of the teachers, from the central to the local level, to get all involved to...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I had a conversation with the family friend teaching in Cristo Rey about this guy. He told me he’s worse than Furcal. I hope he’s wrong.

Aug 21, 2007
Well the auditors were in our district yesterday checking to see if all the teachers listed on the payroll are actually working in the schools. That's a start.

But.......as always seems to happen here, someone must have tipped off the teachers receiving teacher salary but living abroad. They all flew back in to be present for the audit.

• Wow
Reactions: AlterEgo

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Well the auditors were in our district yesterday checking to see if all the teachers listed on the payroll are actually working in the schools. That's a start.

But.......as always seems to happen here, someone must have tipped off the teachers receiving teacher salary but living abroad. They all flew back in to be present for the audit.
So it won’t work. How many years have many of us here on the forum lived in the DR. And it has only gotten worse. Yes the economy has grown. More money flowing so more corruption. Only Dominicans can change it. And they won’t. They are not selfish people. They think of their family, extended family and friends. Beautiful. But they don’t care about their country.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

Pay them with checks every month or so. That will show them!

Reactions: LindseyKaufman

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There is a good expression often used against people ..they are limited by the breadth of their own experience. And so , for all the many years that I have lived here I have seldom seen anything change much in relation to hospitals, schools, prisons, the legal system and other institutions. Maybe because it is too hard to start from scratch again . I would fully support any Education director who would demolish the dozens of small secondary schools in each city, they have no space and few facilities and then build one or two schools on acreage with playing fields, music rooms, gymnasiums and with school buses . If he could build one or two national teachers colleges with experienced international principals to replace the miss mash of poor university course ,he would also get my full support. But it will never happen in my lifetime .