Effective immediately, please read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
People need to develop a thicker skin about what is said online here. In a world where you get get vastly different expert opinions about stuff like covid, you can't let yourself get worked up about stuff.

The other day I reported a first hand current airport experience and of course was criticized for getting it all wrong. No big deal as people can believe what they want to believe.

I would like to disagree. I posted something I knew to be true the other day and was immediately told that I was talking complete BS. And I felt really offended. I don't come on here to be insulted, and I don't need to develop a thicker skin.

Basically we all seem to be agreeing on one point, we would all like the mods to be much firmer.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
I would like to disagree. I posted something I knew to be true the other day and was immediately told that I was talking complete BS. And I felt really offended. I don't come on here to be insulted, and I don't need to develop a thicker skin.

Basically we all seem to be agreeing on one point, we would all like the mods to be much firmer. Guess you can count me as not wanting the mods to be firmer. Anonymous posters on a message board shouldn't have the power to really offend you. Would you be offended if I disagreed with your statement on another thread stating there are 7.5 million women in the DR?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Basically we all seem to be agreeing on one point, we would all like the mods to be much firmer.
I of course, don't agree, but that is just me.

Facebook has really taken over for sources of information while posting mostly irrelevant nonsense, and of course there are some other small forums that cater to expats.

DR1 , and those other Expat forums about the DR, have a very limited audiences now because times have moved on and so have many people was was pointed out.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I find the banter entertaining. But if the Mods want to enforce rules that make the Forum like eating paste, well OK.
There are plenty of things to consume my time, as I have found out in several 'time-outs'.

Reactions: windeguy

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Why? Why should I have to listen to people who are rude and disrespectful - which I doubt they would be if they were not feeling protected behind their computer.
Why? Because we have little say in the matter every time we turn on the computer or the television. I know a good music message board that is kind and gentle but once in a while somebody gets their feeling hurt.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I of course, don't agree, but that is just me.

Facebook has really taken over for sources of information while posting mostly irrelevant nonsense, and of course there are some other small forums that cater to expats.

DR1 , and those other Expat forums about the DR, have a very limited audiences now because times have moved on and so have many people was was pointed out.

I love how no one has yet mentioned the Parasites ( im sorry but they are) who were only on here to syphon off Viewers to THEIR Forum and whatever Facebook page they were promoting . they are also no longer posting ...... i wont be more specific , but it is just so obvious why they dont post any more .
they got their Pages Humming along, and now they dont need DR1 any more.
they did not leave because they were " offended" lmao ...
I do kind of miss their ISHT stirring though , some of it was rather Humorous , although Complete BS most of the time .

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I'm surprised at everyone here. The main gist of AE's post was directed at stopping the political nonsense getting injected in so many threads here.
Then almost as an afterthought she mentioned folks need to lay off criticizing other folks they may not agree with, and almost all of you have taken the criticism ball and ran with it.

Why is it so hard for everyone to stop belittling people?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Everyone should immediately stop posting anything that could remotely offend anyone. Problem solved. Or.... Those easily offended could just block the people that offend them, one little block and that person is gone forever. "Sticks and Stones"..... Words to live by. Unfortunately, Our Free speech is being attacked. Most any topic ultimately come down to politics. Finance, environment, criminal justice etc etc. Of course DR1 is a private enterprise, they can choose whatever path they want, even if it leads to it's own demise. "To suppress free speech is a double wrong. It violates the right of the hearer as well as those of the speaker" https://images.app.goo.gl/iLA1o2mDUTMEqTuU8

Reactions: slowmo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Why? Why should I have to listen to people who are rude and disrespectful - which I doubt they would be if they were not feeling protected behind their computer.
Ya can't have it both ways. Cool the mods are finally stepping
in to hopefully put an end to it once and for all.
For better or worse, some of us are the same in person.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Some people need to stop making a thread all about themselves, their opinions. There have been many threads over the years where I disagree with what a person has posted but it gave me a reason to look at it from another persons perspective. If someone disagrees with me I am not offended. I have learned so much over the years on this forum I can't begin to tell you. Shipping, car buying, solar panels, pool issues, where to eat, where to buy, etc... Information to this day I use. I understand it is a forum and not everyone will agree with each other. But why the nastiness, the insults? I 100% support the mods stepping in.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
I miss out on most of the disrespectful noise but I’m happy to see this announcement. I’ve been around long enough now to see the change.
But I still think there’s a lot of value in this forum. It’s the first place I’d go or recommend if I needed specific DR related information. I quit Facebook in 2014 because of too many uninformed people talking BS. DR1 remains my go to for Dominican related info. The good outweigh the bad ☺️.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Why is it so hard for everyone to stop belittling people?

I honestly don't think it is "everyone". There are maybe 10 people on here who mainly spoil it for everyone else. I'm guessing that in reality they are sad, insignificant, and haven't achieved a lot. They maybe moved to DR or maybe just come a couple of times a year. Probably to Sosua, probably to chase the chicas. They tend to have a very negative view of Dominican people - everyone is a thief, nothing works, all the women are hookers - which to me suggests their experience of real life in the country and the real people is very limited. And they are basically bored, so they spend their entire day on DR1, jumping onto any thread, bullying people and basically being nasty. This forum is where they get their glory, this is where they get to boss people around.

I think I am right in saying that a large proportion of the rest of us have been feeling this for a long time, DR1 has been downhill because of this group and we would like it to stop.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Everyone should immediately stop posting anything that could remotely offend anyone. Problem solved. Or.... Those easily offended could just block the people that offend them, one little block and that person is gone forever. "Sticks and Stones"..... Words to live by. Unfortunately, Our Free speech is being attacked. Most any topic ultimately come down to politics. Finance, environment, criminal justice etc etc. Of course DR1 is a private enterprise, they can choose whatever path they want, even if it leads to it's own demise. "To suppress free speech is a double wrong. It violates the right of the hearer as well as those of the speaker" https://images.app.goo.gl/iLA1o2mDUTMEqTuU8

It's not so much about being offensive, it's more about being bombastic, arrogant and railroading their opinion. "I'm right, you're wrong, shut up". And about being repetitive, the same thing opinion over and over and over again. Read the thread on the e-Ticket for a fine example of everything that is wrong. Or anything about Covid and vaccines. The mods need to jump in much much quicker and close threads when the useful stuff has been said.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
For the long term posters let’s go back to before Robert introduced the OT Political forum. DR1 was then not only the best, but the only source for SOLID information about the Dominican Republic.

All that changed as battles started with posters who had ZERO information of any kind relating to the Dominican Republic on the OT Forum. A host of posters emerged that do not even live in the DR or spend little or no time here.

Then it spilled over to the other forums where the information was flowing. It did not take long to corrupt most of the good direct information that people relied upon on this forum. As I said in an earlier post, someone answers a query with solid advice from personal knowledge and the OT Crew responds with something based on retarded political beliefs from another country. And many with direct knowledge due to many years living here vanished. They were not interested with arguing with people who knew next to nothing about what they post.

You can still see the remnants of this today. It needs to STOP.

So let’s hope the Mods do exactly what Alter Ego said they would do and get back to being Number One on correct, current information on the Dominican Republic.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I love how no one has yet mentioned the Parasites ( im sorry but they are) who were only on here to syphon off Viewers to THEIR Forum and whatever Facebook page they were promoting . they are also no longer posting ...... i wont be more specific , but it is just so obvious why they dont post any more .
they got their Pages Humming along, and now they dont need DR1 any more.
they did not leave because they were " offended" lmao ...
I do kind of miss their ISHT stirring though , some of it was rather Humorous , although Complete BS most of the time .
That thought never crossed my mind. Perhaps it is because I have no idea who they are because I don't pay attention to such things.

Reactions: thompstr

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
That thought never crossed my mind. Perhaps it is because I have no idea who they are because I don't pay attention to such things.
Or they get deleted in record time.

Status
Not open for further replies.