Eggplant - How do the locals cook it?

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I've never seen it in a restaurant.
This comment surprised me because it is on the menu of every restaurant I go to. Do you use English-language menus? Eggplants are called "aubergines" in France and the rest of Europe. (I never heard the name "eggplant" until I came to the DR). It may be that they are on English language menus as that.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This comment surprised me because it is on the menu of every restaurant I go to. Do you use English-language menus? Eggplants are called "aubergines" in France and the rest of Europe. (I never heard the name "eggplant" until I came to the DR). It may be that they are on English language menus as that.

In Italian, the vegetable is called melanzana.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
few times even in english menu i have seen it called berenjena.

i cook it quite often but i am lazy so i do simple and fast dishes. first is a variation of what pichardo posted but lazier: peel and cube the eggplant. throw into a pan with a bit of olive oil; add crushed garlic, salt and pepper; cook until all falls apart. second is simplified berenjena parmigiana: slice the eggplant, sprinkle some salt on it, grill briefly on both sides; line baking dish with grilled eggplant, grated cheese and tomato sauce (a can of crushed tomatoes with crushed garlic, herbs and salt); throw some cubed fresh tomatoes on the top and bake for about 25 minutes.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
few times even in english menu i have seen it called berenjena.

i cook it quite often but i am lazy so i do simple and fast dishes. first is a variation of what pichardo posted but lazier: peel and cube the eggplant. throw into a pan with a bit of olive oil; add crushed garlic, salt and pepper; cook until all falls apart. second is simplified berenjena parmigiana: slice the eggplant, sprinkle some salt on it, grill briefly on both sides; line baking dish with grilled eggplant, grated cheese and tomato sauce (a can of crushed tomatoes with crushed garlic, herbs and salt); throw some cubed fresh tomatoes on the top and bake for about 25 minutes.

if I don't do your lasagna type idea, I do the grilled.

Sliced lengthwise, baste with oil & balsamic to grill.
Once grilled, lay on cheese & tomato slices....
seems to be well rec'd as a side dish at my table

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
I have had it baked, fried, stuffed but the most frequent way seems to be stewed. All are good.

les1

Feb 1, 2007
Roast them first (skin on) atop your burners, then peel away the skin (easy).

Cut them into tiny bits, salt, pepper, lots of garlic, onion powder. Heat a pan with just a tad of extra virgin oil, until it sizzles. Drop the mixture in and keep stirring until it breaks apart into a nice scrambled form.

This is the best style of eggplants cooked a Dominican way (Cibao style from los ranchos arriba).

I agree - as a salsa to accompany a meal

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Years and years ago when I was a younger than I am now....
My father had a pretty big garden and he devoted a lot of time to the pursuit.
One year he decided to try something new and different.
Eggplant.
It was an incredibly successful endeavor and we had the things coming out of our ears.
We ate so much "eggplant casserole" that we started to look like eggplants.
hah.
I remember being so intrigued with them on the vine.
I told my dad....
"They are beautiful.
They look just like the black ball in the toilet tank." :ermm:
He shrugged his shoulders, gave me a wry grin and went back to picking tomatoes.
Those were also coming out of our ears. lol.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I was surprised and happy to see eggplant in the stores. I have a wide range of recipes for it from chinese to thai to Indian.

But, how do the locals cook it? Nobody seems to know. I've never seen it in a restaurant. I told my girlfriend that I like it and she put it in soup, but I had to ask her to stop because it was so slimy and tasteless.

Guisado, they cook everything guisado