Elder Care

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Universal offers a medical plan that does go til death. It is only for 3.6 million pesos which for someone who thinks of US costs seems like nothing. but considering that a three day hospital stay here just ran my onbly 19,000 -- and since I am not a real consumer, preferring acupuncture and energy healers... it makes me feel secure... which, I suppose is what insurance is for.

As someone who grew up in NYC, I like where I live in Gazcue.. in Santo Domingo.

The neighborhood has everything I need except, of course.. the countryside and the beach.. although I can, at least, swim at the pool and look at the ocean.

I know that there are a few foreign residents here but we do not "hang" or at least I don't where they hang.....

(ok, they are all hanging together somewhere, playing Scrabble, singing along to old songs, plotting the overthrow of the New World Order,,

they simply forgot to invite me,,,,,

No. I know really they DECIDED not to invite me!)

Anyway. I think that this is a good area for seniors to live. \

So if you are a senior, or soon to become one, and are living here or coming here..

you can PM me ..

I certainly think that this country has lots and lots to offer.

Jan 9, 2004
You are correct....,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but think what is being talked about here is "Pay as you play " plan. Self funded, no health plan.
Thats why the concern to lower the cost

WW

but the analysis involving price/cost for Alzheimer care cannot end there. Alzheimers patients are generally older and generally do have other health care needs and problems. My point is that there is a bigger picture to look at in the price/cost spectrum.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I feel for you. My mother had Alzheimers. She was in 2 different homes in California. Both were expensive. One large and the other a house in a residential area modified for Alzheimers residents with only 5 or 6 residents. It was run by a man and nurses from the Phillipines. She got great one on one care there. If you are planning on living in the DR then the idea of bringing her here and living with you with a full time nurse would be ideal. If you are planning on putting her in a home here (if they exist) and you staying in the states I would not do that since you can not oversee her care. As far as the nurses/care helpers needing to speak English, care is more important than language.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Anng3
I agree about the language.... the language needed is kindness.

Phillapinas have a great reputation for patience and care.

Yes, there will be other complications but the focus is on safety, security and comfort.

What we contemplate in the DR (our group of friends) is sort of a cooperative arrangement where we can have our parents well looked after, nearby.

The irony is , in today's world, when the parent checks out..... we'll be checking in......... maudlin !!

This is something that will affect everybody sometime in their life... I am surprised how cavalier some are.

WW

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
William,
Doing it cooperatively sounds like a good idea. You will know the other residents and you and your friends will get to know each others parents when you visit. I'd just keep the number low and the ratio staff to residents high. And visit at different times during the day and night.

Throughout your mom's illness try and keep your sense of humor as hard as it is. My mom would say funny things and we would have fun singing. It was fun trying to figure out ways to connect with her. My last memory of her was taking her a slice of hot fudge ice cream pie. She loved coffee ice cream and hot fudge. She passed away days later and wasn't speaking coherantly at the time but watching the smile and joy on her face I knew she knew exactly what she was eating and enjoying.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
anng3
We're not that far gone yet... just forgetful and confused at his point but its amazing to see how quickly things slide downhill.... whew!

Humor, yes...... see my cruiseship post earlier - an attempt to cheer up ohmmmmm

As for me, my mother always talks about how much I will get when selling her house... "You'll do well with this Bill.."
I answer ... " not really, mum.... not with you in it.... that will take a lot off the price"

She laughs and says " You're right, I'm not going anywhere"

What a life.......... how have we come this far?

Thanks WW

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I can testify that Dominicans are gentle and loving caregivers... Even the doctors are loving and warm.. which is something that is rare in the States. You will find no better care givers than Dominicans. They have enormous hearts and a great love and reverance for elders. This is an excellent place to age and (I can only as yet assume) die...

Hospitals here are equipped with couches to sleep over.. it is assumed that you will have at least one person with you in the hospital. The room I was in for a brief stay was a suite, overlooking the sea, with a mini fridge, a waiting area with sofa... a bed the faced the window that faced the sea.. a beautiful place to take a last breathe.

We have an Episcopalian parish right near the Clinic Abreu.. it also hosts services for Union Church...which is sort of a catch all protestant.. but there is one English service there.. Plus the 6000 volume English library.

But wherever in the Island you care to settle, it will be very easy to have 24 care for each elder .. should that be needed..... The main issue will be English speaking company but if you have one sort of administrator secretary at the 20,000 peso a month level, she can see to the translating and proper management.

The other thing would be to get a good driver with a bigger van to take outings together., For instance, from the Capital is an easy day trip to both the beach and the sea... to Juan Dolio or Jarabacoa.... Easy overnight to Las Terrenas.... And there are lots of musical concerts and events and restuarants and all needed services.. both the pharmacies and colmados deliver via a phone call. Cable TV carries many English channels, including the major US networks, BBC news, many movie channels.. We have a Movie Max.

We also have two vegitarian restuarants, classes in yoga and chi gong, an acupuncture clinic and two pools, with gyms and tennis courts available at the local hotels for a membership fee.

Sorry to sound like a promotional brochure.... It is just a very cool little neighborhood and I need Scrabble players (could I dream of a bridge game?)........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Nicely written Mountainannie....

Bridge is one of the many social graces that I lack :-((
So I can't help you

Scrabble, I enjoy..... have you tried playing online?
I have a friend who does.... it might be a bit cut-throat.
They use 1 and 2 letter words that you need a list for to be competitive

Worth a try... I'm sure there are various levels you can join

WW

PS... i'm sure there is on-line bridge too. Just watch out for Omar Sharif - he's a master player or whatever they call it.... grand champion?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sorry to sound like a promotional brochure.... It is just a very cool little neighborhood and I need Scrabble players (could I dream of a bridge game?)........

Hi Annie,

I play a version of Scrabble - called Wordscraper - on Facebook with 2 DR1ers who live in DR. Let us know if you want to join in a game!

AE

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
thanks to both of you.. I did play on line Scrabble for a while.. on Facebook for a bit til they booted the internationals off the US game and bridge I do play against my computer (who CHEATS! well.. NO not cheats but is a notorious unreliable bidder and often risks my throwing my laptop out the window).. the problem is that I spend too much time in the virtual world as it is...

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Thank you all for your wonderful responses. I'll do some serious investigation on this and get back on what we ultimately do... and then experiences along the way so as to inform others. I've not decided that the DR will work out best for mother, but one reason for the money consideration is that it would not be long at say $9,000 per month before her money is all spent and she would then have to go into a government paid facility in the USA, which would be very institutional and basic and I'm not sure how much extra I can do for her then and I'm not sure what type of care she will actually get...

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
If you do decide to bring your mother here, you will have no trouble finding excellent home care for her with a very reasonable financial outlay.
When the time comes, bring up this thread again and I'm sure you will get all the help you desire from the DR1'ers that live here.

Reactions: Bronxboy

jrhall8284

Feb 27, 2011
My mother-in-law lives in Santo Domingo and will soon need to either move into a nursing home or get home health care. Does anyone have any recommendations for nursing homes or agencies that provide live-in nurses? Thanks for everyone's input.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
My mother-in-law lives in Santo Domingo and will soon need to either move into a nursing home or get home health care. Does anyone have any recommendations for nursing homes or agencies that provide live-in nurses? Thanks for everyone's input.

Rather than a nursing home, even if there is one in the DR, I believe your mother in law would be better cared for in her home. Dominican people are very experienced in elder care, since the elders are usually cared for at home by the family. Whether there are agencies that provide this service, I don't know. More likely is to hire a nurse or two to work in the home, and I am sure there are many experienced nurses who would be interested. Somebody else more familiar with Santo Domingo than I am should be able to tell you how to make contact with nurses who might assist you.