Electric blanket or hot water bottle

May 29, 2006
Cold wet weather. They canceled school for several days before Christmas break but they opened the last day so the kids could have their party. Along with the heating pad, I also brought down a paint stripper gun and we've used that to dry clothes a few times when it's been rainy.

So much for the paint stripper. Mi esposa was using it to dry clothes when the power went out, then forgot to unplug it. Power came back on and the gun started a small fire. No one hurt, but we're out some kids' clothes and the landlord is evicting. Nice to have plenty of relatives. I'm in the US. Glad to be out of there. There goes the deposit!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
So much for the paint stripper. Mi esposa was using it to dry clothes when the power went out, then forgot to unplug it. Power came back on and the gun started a small fire. No one hurt, but we're out some kids' clothes and the landlord is evicting. Nice to have plenty of relatives. I'm in the US. Glad to be out of there. There goes the deposit!

Oh goodness - sorry to hear that!

Matilda

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Seal your bbesrom windows! That will stop any drafty air you will have. A wool blanket helps too. Get some thermal underwear and wear socks if its too nippy for you.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
And everyone in my household thought I was crazy for bringing back a down comforter on my last trip. I must admit though I enjoy this weather because just around the corner is hot, hotter and h*ll.

May 29, 2006
What is amazing is to see the down jackets and knitted caps down there. Gear I don't wear when it's above freezing.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
It is good sleeping weather....It is easier to cover-up when it is chilly (for most) rather than dealing with the heat. My MIL was funny though...knit hat..gloves (they live in the campo in Cibao). She got out her NY winter wear.