electric!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I would scrap the electric stove in a heartbeat no matter where I lived in the world. Cooking with gas is so much better.

There is probably a short between the "hot" wire and your stove's chassis. As was pointed out, a "safety" ground is not normally included in the wiring plans here.

By the way, the only thing "crazy" I find in your original post is regarding eating plantains to begin with. Can't see why the first person that ever ate one said, "Yummy, this is good, want one?"

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Keep in mind propane is heavier than air, unlike CNG, and if there is a leak the gas will collect in an enclosed space. Could go boom.

Always have as much of the propane system as possible in a well ventilated area. I'd never consider a propane tank in a below countertop cabinet. I'd put it outside and drill a hole for the pipe/tube through the wall.

absolutely right. I'm not sure if the tanks I saw in the apts. were propane or cng, but outside is definitely better either way.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
I know I will have to check with the property manager no matter what. There are pretty strict policies here. I would def. prefer an outside tank.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
wasn't sure about the GFCI.. I've installed a few, but always on a grounded system. the wiring is very specific, and if not done right, it doesn't work. didn't know how it worked where there was no ground wire. good to know.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
As others have said, there is either a hot wire or neutral wire touching the metal body of your stove. The mere fact that you have no ground, will not give you a shock. As far as the gas stove goes it is definitely more economical, and a gas leak is dangerous regardless of where it is located so make sure none of the connections are leaking. You can check for leaks by opening the tank valve, closing the stove valves (the knobs for each burner), and putting soapy water on them. They will bubble if leaking.

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
Ok. Tech guys came. Stove is fine. Plug is fine. Apt electric is fine. I am the problem. I touched it with wet hands and possibly barefoot (I can't remember that part). I watched the technician test everything with all of his tools. So I am going to use the stove again and have on shoes and have dry hands. Learning all the time I tell you!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There has to be a connection between the frame of the stove and wire with a higher voltage potential than "ground" in order for you to get a shock in bare feet.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
just because they bought a meter and look cool doesn't mean they know how to use it. i had several electricians work on problems with fairly new wiring in my unit until I found one that not only looked cool but knew how to use a meter and correct the problems. Electricity is not to be played with at any level without proper understanding. Dangerous wet, barefoot or dressed in your full rubber suit. I lost several appliances at one outlet before the third electrician discovered the outlet was wired for 220 to the 110 outlet. go figure

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Bob. I have watched people do live line work at extremely high voltages by using helicopters and roller dollies. Fascinating to watch but not my occupational desire. Also watched workers clean salt contaminated insulators from high voltage switch gear yards using a water hose truck from the ground. Asked how this could be possible and apparently the water pulsates so never has a direct path from the voltage to the operator. Guts for that job and wonder who the first person was to ok the procedure in working environment. Not likely the same engineer that approved it. Now that is trust. I also saw some work done on live line with people working in specially insulated work gear and lots of insulation. If you do not put on your protective gear just right you sense a tingling sensation and loose all your surface hair. Now do you go back to work the next day after that?

Then of course we can watch them do electrical repairs to the public lines after a storm here. Egads!!! Now thats entertainment. Throw is a passing awesome chica to see how focussed they are on the dangers, just for laughs of course.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Just for emphasis: All of the above is true. It doesn't matter how wet you are you will not get a shock without touching something that's at a higher electrical potential (this is considered to be a faulty unsafe condition for appliances) than what you're standing on. Dry hands and shod feet only decrease your chances of electorcution and should not be relied on to keep you safe. The real problem is that the surface of your appliance is at a higher electrical potential than the floor. An electrician in the Dominican Republic can be anyone with a screwdriver that is not afraid of getting electrocuted.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Try to get verification that your electrician has a very good understanding of grounding. I was getting those creepy feeling shocks from various circuits in my house and on the third try I got a good electrician. Once I found one that knew what he was doing it took about one hour to correct all the circuits in my house. Get ground fault circuit breakers for your bathroom or do not use them or any receptacles that are wet environments. My house still has some additional grounding requirements but for now I have a lot less problems. I have also installed time delay protectors on all compressor motors for applliances. This allows time for the voltages to stabilize after a disruption before sensitive electronics are exposed. I have also upgraded from surge protectors to voltage regulators some some low voltage equipment. It is a gradual learning and purchasing process, but losing some nice electronics or expensive refrigeration equipment speeds up the urgency of the process. Just protect against heart attack or burn for yourself first.