Electronics in suitcase

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Thanks for all the advise :)

All computer hardware including monitors and DVD roms (as long as they're not obviously living-room players) are exempt by law I'm pretty sure.

I was already thinking of "declaring" this plasma TV as a large TFT monitor.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Out of your mind!

PlantaFULL said:
I was already thinking of "declaring" this plasma TV as a large TFT monitor.
Do you really know what you are talking about??

Do you really know how much a plasma, any plasma, weight??. In case you don't, give me about an hour until I get to my job and I will tell you. I will give you the weight from 42 and up.

Also, our service department have over 75 experts/repairmen and they ALL say that trying to fix a plama tv is not only time cumsuming, but also a pain the the axx. For them, they can fix the average tv in a few days and a plasma about 3 months, depending on the problem.

Now, just imagine how long it would take a dominican repairperson that has never, ever, fixed a plasma?.

An LCD or a DLP TV weights much, much less, costs much, much less but they are not flats.

Good luck because you will need it.

PlantaFULL

Oct 21, 2004
Miguel you're right, i messed up plasma and LCD... Its a LCD I'm looking at, 26" weights 35 lbs.

With TV repairs in general I'm unfortunately "disposal-happy" like most in the US. After once getting an estimate for TV repair costs that were 50% of what the TV originally costs... I just don't see the point in repairing any kind of electronics nowadays. Here in the Dominican I can at least give half broken stuff to locals and be sure they will make something out of it.

Nov 5, 2004
So how about one of thoes mini DV players with a screen, in carry on?
Think they will make you pay for that? or even look at it?
They have NEVER stopped me!!! :p

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Different ballgame!

PlantaFULL said:
Miguel you're right, i messed up plasma and LCD... Its a LCD I'm looking at, 26" weights 35 lbs.

With TV repairs in general I'm unfortunately "disposal-happy" like most in the US. After once getting an estimate for TV repair costs that were 50% of what the TV originally costs... I just don't see the point in repairing any kind of electronics nowadays. Here in the Dominican I can at least give half broken stuff to locals and be sure they will make something out of it.
That's another story. The plasma at my job, a Sony '42, not only it's about 80 pounds, but it's recommended that it's not put laying flat.

Now, about an LCD tv, well, they are much lighter but not as flat.

But, I guess that you know that it does not have a pic tube. Instead, it has a little "lamp". So, depending how long you use the tv, the lamp will need to be replaced. Example: if you use the LCD tv about 5 hours a day, in about 2 to 3 years, you will need to buy a new lamp for the tv. As of now, the lamps are about 200-300 dollars.

Well, at least you can buy them whenever you come back to the US. Those lamps are very small and weight about one pound.