Emotional Visit to a Local's House

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
HB & others: its great to see the positive comments.

Chriss Colon: I notice your cynicsm. Are you the kind of guy who prefers to ignore those who have no money? Just leave them to become worse off and fade away until you don't see them anymore?

Thats the impression I get from your posts.

Adrian

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
JanH and John

I have made only one brief trip to the DR, but was impressed by the way the "less privileged" Dominican carried themselves, took a pride in their appearance and home. I wish I could say the same for the "less privileged" American. Of course, I am generalizing, but having taught "in the hood" and lived in the poor white countryside, I feel I have some basis for comparison. Instead of squelching the good intentions of us foreigners, ex-pats could be our greatest teachers, instead of critics. Maybe we could come farther in making the DR and the world a better place.

Just my two cents,

Tondra

mkohn

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Interesting phenomenon.
We see how others live, comparing our own lifestyle to theirs, and usually we are envious and want what they have.
It's a rare gift you received from the Secretary's family. You learned to appreciate what you have. And realize you don't need all of it to be happy.
How many people would accept that gift?

That's what makes the DR experience priceless!
mk

JanH

Dec 26, 2002
Tony C said:
We have a word for this!

Slumming!!!!

Tony C: My God, I cannot believe this negative response. The intention of our post was to indicate how impressed we were with the graciousness of the Dominican people.

One of our first posts was about a trip to Casa de Campo and we were told to get our asses out of the AIs and really learn what the Dominican Republic was really like. We thought that was great advice, so we did just that. Now we get accused of slumming!!!

In the future my finger will always be poised by the ITBS button.:confused:

Doug (Mr. JanH)

Last edited:

planner

.............. ?
Sep 23, 2002
I can relate

Thanks for sharing your experience. After 12 trips to the DR and several similar experiences I am moving to the DR.

I've been touched by the graciousness of the people, by the sense of family and community. I live in Canada with all the creature comforts you can imagine. But, I have had my best nights sleep in what by Canadian standards would be a hovel! There is something to be said for simplicity and acceptance of what is.

I've stayed in Santo Domingo in a friends house - maybe 500 square feet where 8 people live together. I was treated like family. There were no windows - just open holes in a concrete block wall. The roof had holes in it and there were chickens in the kitchen. The bathroom was outside! I've never had such an incredibly moving experience. I'd go back in a second but I wouldn't live that way long term. I am too spoiled.

I plan to live in a simple apartment in Puerto Plata. I'm walking away for the excess of North American life. Of course I won't give up everything - I'm not crazy. But, I am drawn to the simplicity that I have seen and experienced. Hopefully I will be able to use my skills to make a difference there as well, not to mention the money I will spend.

Thanks again for your story, we need to hear them. And to the naysayers - try to keep an open mind. I've also seen and experienced the negative side of the DR. I still love it.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"One Trip To The DR",does not qualify you to make a decision....

...about the "Poor",or anything else! That is not a criticism,that is a fact! I welcome you to return often.Enjoy yourself,meet lots of people.Above all,spend lots of money!

"Yeah",how I hate those "Poor Dominicans"!There are 9 of them living in my house! Any suggestions on how I can get them to leave?????????Cris Colon

x_man

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
JanH, why bring up all this socio-economic bagage?
feeling sorry is very christian but somehow
spoils honest and respectfull interaction between different classes.

x.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Jan H.: Good post. Some of these guys are just too jaded and too desensitized to the poverty problem...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Or it could be that some of us see poor people for what they are!

"PEOPLE",just like all the rest of us! To say that poor people have a monopoly on virtues is to be condescending!Being poor does not make them "HAPPY"! You do them a disservice!Just like saying that people with physical dissabilities are "more caring",or other such "Bullshit"!We are all the same! Get it??? Cris Colon
I think I'll go back to the "Thinkers Forum",I'm getting light headed here with my head in the clouds! :cool:

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
CC

I intend to return when my finances allow. I plan to see and experience as much as I can and meet all types of people.....even crusty ole' dudes like you :). I know I am a gringa and have not "earned my stripes" yet. Maybe when I come next, we can get together over a Presidente or two and you can introduce me to your part of the DR. Who knows.......you might find I am not such a naive individual after all.

Regards,

Tondra

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Re: Or it could be that some of us see poor people for what they are!

Criss Colon said:
"PEOPLE",just like all the rest of us! To say that poor people have a monopoly on virtues is to be condescending!Being poor does not make them "HAPPY"! You do them a disservice!Just like saying that people with physical dissabilities are "more caring",or other such "Bullshit"!We are all the same! Get it??? Cris Colon
I think I'll go back to the "Thinkers Forum",I'm getting light headed here with my head in the clouds! :cool:

Put two enemies in a foxhole (or a prison cell), and see them emege as life long friends. It's not about the money, it's the result of people living on top of one another like eskimos and mice. The nest concept. Why not everybody just move into my bedroom and we'll all become close. I don't think so.

Josue Collado

Jul 31, 2003
home.attbi.com
agree

adrianb said:
The funny thing is, people like that are often far happier than those who have tons of money.

My experience of visiting poor countries is that those who have nothing will give everything, while unfortunately the reverse is not usually true.

So don't be sad that they don't have money. They have a closeknit family, and always something to do. If any of them ever gets into trouble, they can count on 50 neighbours to help them out.

There's more to life than money!!
Life is what you make out of it! The above post is right 100%