ENERGY: Lights out in the Dominican Republic

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
The truth of the matter is that electricity theft is a vicious cycle. I grew up in a very religious family, so that kind of theft wasnt allowed. but the argument always came up because it just seemed unfair that while our family was paying DR$2k or more there plenty other families that were "stealing". The men in my family always wanted to go the illegal way but my grandma being the matrona that she was (may she rest in peace) always put her foot down. to her stealing was stealing and she wasnt going to hell just to have AC and TV for free....

It really has to do a lot with growing up and the culture. You grow up not paying and seing ppl stealing it and not getting caught, why should yo pay? no one else is. and that is the mentality that a great majority of ppl have in DR. Also law is not very enforceable over there, things are changin fast tho, due to the fact of "el tratado de libre comercio" with the US thats coming into effect soon. the US businesses are putting some pressure on the DR government to clean up its act if they want investment to flow and that is happening, very slowly, but something is better than nothing. I no longer live in the DR, but the ever time i go back home i notice that its not as bad as in the late 80's or all through out the 90's where u would spend a day or more witn no electricity and get 4 hrs and then another day. now at least its reversed, 1 day of electricity and 4 hrs on nothing. an improvement but still can be better.

I wouldnt judge so fast the ppl that steal it (Cc stealing is stealing no matter what) hell if i could without getting caught i would. but i rather contibute to the progress of DR (even tho the electricity companies probably stealing money themselves). none of my family members steal it. how do i know? because they all biotch at how much it is every month. and i would see it unfair seeing my family pay and others and myself not.
http://www.dominicantoday.com/app/article.aspx?id=16743