english books

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
This is my last box of classic books. I've already given out two huge boxes. This box comes with all of the books or nothing. All i want for all these books--many which include great classics in their original hardback copy...a couple are even signed by their authors--is this: I want 5 dark chocolate bars, or a nice box of dark Belgium chocolate. I'm both easy and cheap, and I can be bought with food. Frank

1. 2066, Roberto bolano (good but long)
2. Cod, mark kurlansky (one ocf the best non-fiction books ever)
3. Salt, mark kurlansky (one of the best non-fiction book ever)
4. The ascent of money, niall ferguson (non- fiction)
5. The rum diary, hunter s. Thompson (craziness at its best)
6. The runaway jury, john grisham
7. White noise, don delillo
8. Caribbean, james Michener (the first 100 pages is about Hispianola)
9. Iberia, james Michener
10. The book of general ignorance, john Lloyd & james mitchinson
11. Into thin air, jon krakauer (one of the best non-fiction books ever)
12. Philospophy, ann rand
13. Free to choose, Milton friedman
14. Rules of the game, neil strauss
15. Dominican republic, lonely planet
16. Counterknowledge, damian Thompson
17. Lady chatterly?s lover, d.h Lawrence
18. Into the wild, jon krakuaer (one of the best non-fiction books ever)
19. Last exit to Brooklyn, Hubert selby
20. Free to choose, Milton friedman
21. Breaking the spell, Daniel Dennett (one of the best non-fiction books about religion)
22. The undercover economist, tim Harford
23. My less than secret life, jonathan ames
24. Trainspotting, Irvine welsh
25. America alone, mark steyn (one of the best non-fiction books about religion)
26. Alaska, james Michener
27. Blood meridian, cormic mccarthy
28. The death of bunny munro, nick cave
29. What went wrong, Bernard lewis (one of the best non-fiction books about religion)
30. Women, charles bukowski (craziness and sex at its best)
31. Confessions of an economic hitman, john perkins
32. The fight club, chuck Palahniuk
33. The hitch hikers guide to the galaxy, douglas adam (Classic)
34. The last lecture, randy pausch (heart breaking non-fiction)
35. The innocent man john grisham
36. The last juror, john grisham
37. Letter to a Christian nation, sam harris (one of the best non-fiction books about religion and good friend of my best friend)
38. Brief wondrous life of Oscar wao, junot diaz
39. The alchemist, Paulo Coelho
40. In search of captain zero, allen weisbecker
41. Do androids dream of electric sheep, Philip dick (this is the book Blade Runner is based on)
42. The world is flat, Thomas friedman
43. The savage detectives, Roberto bolano
44. Requiem for a dream, Hubert selby
45. Confederacy of dunces (original hardback copy) Robert kennedy toole (Winner of the Pultzer Prize in fiction) A Confederacy of Dunces - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
46. The omnivores dilemma, Michael pollan ( A Natural History of Four Meals is a nonfiction book by Michael Pollan published in 2006. In the book, Pollan asks the seemingly straightforward question of what we should have for dinner. Corn is the most heavily subsidized U.S. crop. ?There are some 45,000 items in the average American supermarket, and more than a quarter of them contain corn,? he reports. Corn has successfully changed the U.S. diet and animals diet.)
47. The politically incorrect guide to islam and the crusades, Robert spencer
48. Basic economics, Thomas sowell (one of the best non-fiction books about economics)
49. God is not great, Christopher hitchens (Hitchens at his best as he breaks down religion piece by piece)
50. While Europe slept, bruce bawer (Finalist for National Book Critics Circle Award and written by my gay friend in Norway, Bruce Bawer) http://www.amazon.ca/While-Europe-Slept-Radical-Destroying/dp/0767920058
51. The god delusion, Richard dawkins (Dawkins at his best as he breaks down religion by its history of delusion)
52. English Spanish dictionary.

umeafdb

Mar 9, 2010
Meeting Place Now Regular Hours

The Meeting Place is now back on regular hours: Tuesday to Friday 11 to 5 and Saturday 11 to 3. During the off season hours can be spotty but the two Canadians that run the center are now back for the season and staffing is regular. If any doubts call 829 455 6110. The international center is a totally volunteer staffed center that seeks to serve the ex-pat community with a bookstore, film club and discussions. It specializes in English-language books about the Dominican Republic and its history and culture.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
So, I often give "likes" to someone who knows someone who knows Sam Harris. frank's the best.

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
We had the same problem here in PC, so one person said she would keep them on her patio and it led to a virtual library, now a few years on there are hundreds of books. Ask anyone who is on holiday if they want to give you their books (most don't want to take them home) - even ask those who are in hotels. Ask around other expats in your area.

And yes, we have kindle via Amazon too but it isn't quite the same. Other expats here have kindles wonder if they can 'share' their books with you? Just a thought ...

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I thought I would pop into the meeting place last week for a couple of books.......
Seems it moved a bit futher up the road, in front of the school. There a dominicana lady informed me ( in good english ), that it is the theater schoolonly that moved.

So is the meeting place still open??? Anyone know?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they are usually closed for the summer and reopen in winter months when folks running the place comeback to DR.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
There is a great selection of books at the Book Nook in Sosua. And you can bring in any books you don't want and you will get a discount. We have been going there for several years.

The Meeting Place is seasonal. Usually open with programs December to April.

Meems

May 1, 2013
Kindle

No, it feels better, because I have over 300 books on something I can hold in one hand.....And yes, I am a traditionalist: I read 3 books a week and I worked at the New York Public Library and blah blah blah. I am all about having something to read at all times and something that isn't going to dislocate my shoulder when I carry it in my bag. And that would be a Kindle.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i hate kindle with all my all my heart. paper books only. i do not read 300 of them all at once. i do not need to carry them with me at alltimes. and if i need to take a book with me when i go out i have a car. it can fit all the books i have here.
speaking of which, i need to ship more books from what i left home...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i hate kindle with all my all my heart. paper books only. i do not read 300 of them all at once. i do not need to carry them with me at alltimes. and if i need to take a book with me when i go out i have a car. it can fit all the books i have here.
speaking of which, i need to ship more books from what i left home...

I haven't bought a "real" book in years, I'm on my 2nd Kindle and I also have the Kindle app on my iPad. When I'm in DR I read more than in US, I can go through 2-3 books a week, can't cart all those around with me, too heavy and take up too much space.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
No, it feels better, because I have over 300 books on something I can hold in one hand.....And yes, I am a traditionalist: I read 3 books a week and I worked at the New York Public Library and blah blah blah. I am all about having something to read at all times and something that isn't going to dislocate my shoulder when I carry it in my bag. And that would be a Kindle.

1. I have strong shoulders.

2. When an EMP is set off, ure kindle will fry.

3. Get a samsumg tablet with the kindle app, u could carry half a million around with u.

4. If the zombies attack, u can only throw ure kindle at them once.

5. It is safer to read a real book in the pool....... so I dont accidently drop it or pour rum and cinola on it.....

6. U can wedge a table with a book....

7. When the New Ice Age settles in, u can burn real books....

8.if I happen to be obiged to walk around POP, nobody is going to attack me for a book ( well of course it is a first edition Bible......and even then...).

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

P.S. I do use an electronic book. When I have too........

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
1. I have strong shoulders.

2. When an EMP is set off, ure kindle will fry.

3. Get a samsumg tablet with the kindle app, u could carry half a million around with u.

4. If the zombies attack, u can only throw ure kindle at them once.

5. It is safer to read a real book in the pool....... so I dont accidently drop it or pour rum and cinola on it.....

6. U can wedge a table with a book....

7. When the New Ice Age settles in, u can burn real books....

8.if I happen to be obiged to walk around POP, nobody is going to attack me for a book ( well of course it is a first edition Bible......and even then...).

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

P.S. I do use an electronic book. When I have too........

Well done.

LMAO malko!!! :) :) :)

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
There are some used book stores in STI but not much of a selection. I just brought in 10 more from my favorite stores in Boulder CO and Columbus OH. The weight is worth the cost. The adventure in the search is fun and the written inscriptions heart warming. Plus, used books are cheap!

I use kindle for some reading mostly when I am here and want a specific title.

The combination works well for me.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Some of us can't be too choosy - although I still appreciate that reading an actual book is nicer in some ways, the total absence of bookshops where I live and my limited patience to wait for books to be shipped mean that my Kindle has been the perfect solution for my three-book a week habit.
Also e-books are cheaper, many of them are free, and they don't take up any space at home or use up my luggage allowance when I travel.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i grew up reading slightly mouldy and smelly books from public libraries. i liked reading old books, i dug with passion in long forgotten shelves with hungarian poems and absurd french novels. some of those old books became my old time favourites. now that i want to buy them i can only find paper editions in used book stores or on amazaon. kindle? you must be joking. there are some newer books that i get in e-format, like latest discworld novels that i do not care much to own. these i can download from torrentz. i also got complete series of LOBO to read on my laptop. although i would have preferred this on paper as well. but in this case beggars cannot be choosers.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
There is a great selection of books at the Book Nook in Sosua. And you can bring in any books you don't want and you will get a discount. We have been going there for several years.

does anyone know if the book nook is still open and what is their current location? i will be in sosua this week and wanted to check out the place.