Entertainment Noise Levels at Resorts.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
What is the acceptable live entertainment noise levels and function hours for resorts/hotels with entertainment sites very close residential areas? Most are aware there are two standards of the laws, one for the general public and one for hospitality businesses.

Regards,

PJT

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Very high noise level is the new huge problem in resort towns since covid. It has been such a major headache, with people calling others names for complaining about it. Anyway, I am not seeing a solution for it. On a personal level, I spent some money to soundproof my apartment. It's a big relief to be able to shut down everything whenever necessary.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
That is when the laws are actually enforced ;)
We know the environmental laws are rarely enforced. The concern is there are two legal standards. One for the general public and the other for the resorts. Don't know if the government has ever shut down a beach resort for excessive noise. There is a new local resort constructed adjacent to an older established residential area. The resort has one of its entertainment venues away from the beach and near the residential. The unwanted disquiet from the entertainment enters the residential. What is the legal standard for resorts regarding noise levels, nighttime entertainment hours, and their proximity to inhabited areas.

Regards,

PJT

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
We know the environmental laws are rarely enforced. The concern is there are two legal standards. One for the general public and the other for the resorts. Don't know if the government has ever shut down a beach resort for excessive noise. There is a new local resort constructed adjacent to an older established residential area. The resort has one of its entertainment venues away from the beach and near the residential. The unwanted disquiet from the entertainment enters the residential. What is the legal standard for resorts regarding noise levels, nighttime entertainment hours, and their proximity to inhabited areas.

Regards,

PJT

Does it affect other neighbors? I would ban together and file the complaint as a group. And while filing the complaint, make some noise about getting a lawyer and contacting the press. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Another thing you could do is have a loud 5am Rock & Roll party right next to the fence. I'm thinking some Jimi Hendrix. Fair is fair. I'll come to the party.
But file the complaint first.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
They think THE LOUDER THE BETTER! And they cannot understand why people do not want to buy houses and live close to them. In the USA too. They blame it on "racism". But it is not. Just BEHAVIOR.

Reactions: Squat

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
They think THE LOUDER THE BETTER! And they cannot understand why people do not want to buy houses and live close to them. In the USA too. They blame it on "racism". But it is not. Just BEHAVIOR.
Those "racism" shouting folks always seem to have a huge inferiority complex.
It's really more their problem than ours so just ignore them. :D:D:D

Feb 7, 2007
On a personal level, I spent some money to soundproof my apartment. It's a big relief to be able to shut down everything whenever necessary.
Can you please write a bit more about how, what materials did you use, where did you buy them, how did you soundproof etc. Really interesting topic and I am keenly awaiting your information. Thank you.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
Can you please write a bit more about how, what materials did you use, where did you buy them, how did you soundproof etc. Really interesting topic and I am keenly awaiting your information. Thank you.
In order to soundproof my apartment, I installed double-pane windows. It was quite expensive, as I have very large windows.

In my bedroom, I also have very heavy soundproof curtains, which also really help.

On the 2 wooden doors, I have soundproof blanket on the interior side.

So now my apartment is all covered, and whenever needed I can shut it down completely.

I have a big AC unit in my room, that I mostly use in the "FAN" mode, so power bill isn't too high.

It has been a few months now, and I can tell you, on a personal level that is has been a LIFE-SAVER.

Where I live in Las Terrenas, Capitaleños started showing up since July 1st, renting AirBnBs all the time. Mostly weekends, but also sometimes the whole week too!

And of course, I have been reminded this is THEIR country, that I can go back to my own, & that I am a bigot because I dare say I dislike the obnoxious noise level.

So now, I can stop complaining, I close all my windows, turn on the AC, play a bit of jazz, at a low volume level, and it's like heaven, I don't hear all the "mambo" outside.

Most Gringos in Las Terrenas are facing the same issue. Most I talked to say: "No way, I am not shutting myself down in my house, this would feel like jail!". My answer is that is is FREEDOM for me, as I can't realistically move out of here. I love to read, I work online. I can do those things in silence whenever sh!t hits the fan.

It was expensive, but it's totally worth it.

Duece

Mar 11, 2004
I live in Cofresi and the music at Lifestyles Resort, at times is so loud it vibrates in your home. I don't mind daytime stuff and even until a reasonable
hour in the evening but at times it is after midnight! That is just wrong. Complaining to them only guarantees the music will get louder.

Reactions: irsav
Feb 7, 2007
In order to soundproof my apartment, I installed double-pane windows. It was quite expensive, as I have very large windows.

In my bedroom, I also have very heavy soundproof curtains, which also really help.

On the 2 wooden doors, I have soundproof blanket on the interior side.

So now my apartment is all covered, and whenever needed I can shut it down completely.

I have a big AC unit in my room, that I mostly use in the "FAN" mode, so power bill isn't too high.

It has been a few months now, and I can tell you, on a personal level that is has been a LIFE-SAVER.

Where I live in Las Terrenas, Capitaleños started showing up since July 1st, renting AirBnBs all the time. Mostly weekends, but also sometimes the whole week too!

And of course, I have been reminded this is THEIR country, that I can go back to my own, & that I am a bigot because I dare say I dislike the obnoxious noise level.

So now, I can stop complaining, I close all my windows, turn on the AC, play a bit of jazz, at a low volume level, and it's like heaven, I don't hear all the "mambo" outside.

Most Gringos in Las Terrenas are facing the same issue. Most I talked to say: "No way, I am not shutting myself down in my house, this would feel like jail!". My answer is that is is FREEDOM for me, as I can't realistically move out of here. I love to read, I work online. I can do those things in silence whenever sh!t hits the fan.

It was expensive, but it's totally worth it.

What about the walls have you put something on them as well, and how do you deal with the Bum Bum vibrations from Bass Speakers ?

Eugene_A

Banned
Feb 12, 2021
Santo Domingo
There's no way to deal with bass vibrations. You can't soundproof from that. And the more you soundproof it from all other frequencies, the more you hear the bass in that 'silence' you got. You can even buy a soundproof sleeping pod (like they have in some airports), but you will feel all the bass there, it goes thru the bones even if you're deaf.

If that's somebody's subwoofer in another apartment in the same building, private house in front of you or nearby colmado, there are some ways to shut the music down, but if it's the resort.... life is too short to fight with things like this, it's better to move. That's why I always say don't buy a house or apartment in tourist areas, just rent. Because if you buy, you will never sell it later for the same price and you will also lose your money invested in renovating, etc. Been there, done that, you can spend a lot of money on double glass windows and other stuff (in fact I did that in some places and here in DR too), but you can't take them windows with you when you finally sick and tired and leave, and nobody will pay you any extra for them, they say take them with you if you want.

Squat

Jan 1, 2002
What about the walls have you put something on them as well, and how do you deal with the Bum Bum vibrations from Bass Speakers ?
My walls are regular cement blocks. I am lucky enough not to have extremely loud music around my apartment. Apart from the rare "complete craziness", it is mostly moderately loud music & people screaming. So I can deal with that with my soundproofing solution.
In my bedroom & some other areas of the apartment, I installed those sound-absorbing panels (see Youtube link down here). It helps a bit:
I agree it is a mistake to buy in a resort town, but I have been here since decades, & back then it was VERY quiet. Reality has changed a lot now. If I had to do it again, I would not buy here. But I am dealing with what I can, right now. It's not perfect, but it's what I can do.