estate problem

BigDaddy

Jan 16, 2005
My problem is my mom in California died and left me some paintings and minor stuff getting it delivered is not a problem. First how do I handle customs declaration? and what will they charge me? What is the cheapest way to ship here? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
How could anyone tell you if don't give details? I would use some of the known shipping-Companies in Europe they mostly use fundaciones....for tax reasons, I paid for my whole interior, Chesterfields, Antique furniture, two tv's, 2 PS4 and several antique pantings only 9000 Pesos. So I would say look for a shipping company with Dominicans, best a Fundacion.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
IF you have a declared value then customs will agree or make up their own. You can have it appraised or roll the dice. Handling customs? I don't want to go their.

Cost is figured from an individual point of view. Wife and I moved all our stuff with antiques, fine crystal and art. What a waist of money and we will never be able to sell near what it would sell for in the US.

Advise? Sell it in the US and let it go.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
I would also just sell it unless there is something very sentimental. Look how much it is to import a car.....You can buy a Hyundai Santa Fe in the States for under 20,000US and to buy a used one here can be 35,000US for a 2015!

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
How could anyone tell you if don't give details? I would use some of the known shipping-Companies in Europe they mostly use fundaciones....for tax reasons, I paid for my whole interior, Chesterfields, Antique furniture, two tv's, 2 PS4 and several antique pantings only 9000 Pesos. So I would say look for a shipping company with Dominicans, best a Fundacion.

could you please give me the name and contact details of the company or person you used. i am looking to ship from DR to Europe

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
depends on the m3 of stuff you have, you also can rent just a space within a container. you don't need to rent a whole container. paintings etc...just put the value. customs doesn't charge a lot for sentimental things or paintings, you put the value , let's say 100 US$ each, put used...that's it... customs here is just nasty with cars and electronics. these they can check value online.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
What is was trying to point out and not well.

When we moved to the D.R. we brought everything. Including family art, furniture and whatever that date back several generations. As time moved on we realized that these pieces of family history are not ours alone but if possible be passed on to other generations.

Being that we are the only ones in the D.R. and having shipped all these items it is now a problem to get them into family hands in the U.S. and U.K. We KNOW that they are not going to move into our home here in the D.R.

So it is a slow process every time we go to the U.S. we have a little piece of our family history along with us to hand off to another generation with some wonderful history.

Bringing my family items/history here to the D.R. has IMO to be a very bad and selfish idea. Most of these items that have might have meaning will be forever lost.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have storage...US (2), Canada.

Just handed off some family stuff at Christmas*
One child buying in UK, another got married*

I dribble it out but it's very well received*

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have storage...US (2), Canada.

Just handed off some family stuff at Christmas*
One child buying in UK, another got married*

I dribble it out but it's very well received*

We've been doing the same. *I've tried not to bring anything our children or grandchildren might want one day (to DR). It's bad enough that they will probably have to deal with selling our DR house. *You're lucky you have daughters, because daughters-in-law don't usually want anything.*

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Funny that we collect things and hold on to family stuff that we thought had some value. At least it did for us at the time and does now. But times change and what we valued as family history and stuff is fast becoming a burden. No one really wants it and no one is moving here to an almost free set up in the D.R. when we are done with it.

We happened to meet with another expat that has been here over 35 years and he has the same problem. How to handle your D.R. estate and belongings when ......... no one wants them? I know others in the same situation.

But WE where the ones that put ourselves in our own situation by bringing a lot of family stuff and high end things with us........ that we never really used.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
With respect to things of value and family heirlooms, I would not ever consider bringing to the DR homestead. If the climate doesn't degrade them the kids/family/neighbors who all touch everything would. No way.
I mean, my Grandmothers Silver, for example, would I bring that here? No way.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We have a mix of things in RD..... and in our other houses.

We , along with our other nomadic friends, are often asked where 'home' is.
Home is where we are.
Each of the houses offers a memory of family and our life...... a comfort, we find.

The RD house has a sofa and 2 chairs I have had since 1977 in FLA... pre-marriage.
It has several items from our Cdn life - but no RV, no silver, that doesn't like this climate.
We bought and added things when we settled in... they are now a part of our fabric.

The lake house has been a refuge for over 30 yrs... full of memories and 'things'.
The girls summered there all their lives - still do.

Philadelphia has what we brought from Canada and added in our 20 yrs there.

Each one gives us pleasure and security (in a sense) that even as we roam, there is always a home.

Everybody's different......... I certainly can't claim not to be !!!
Or I wouldn't be here.....

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Everyone is different. Memories are held in your heart and mind. We lost everything, even family heirlooms, to identity theft and the fallout after. I was able to give my daughter the things she wanted and the things my sisters wanted before the court executor took control. It is amazing to see what each person valued most....my daughter has the box with her christening gown which I made and my charm bracelet I had from birth, each of my sisters took photos and put them on one of the picture frames that play the photos over and over....I gave each one a piece of larimar and a piece of amber jewelry that was bought by my husband for me as we vacationed in the DR from out 30th wedding anniversary until our permanent move here. The only thing I brought was my heart and memories. Our new life is our journey of life until we are called by a higher power, each moment is a memory we share and cherish....I grieved for weeks when the courts took my wide gold wedding band with a 1kt diamond which my husband placed on it on our 30th wedding anniversary...but I now realize I have HIM and that is all that matters, besides I would not have been able to wear that ring here, and had I had it in the safe of the home we used to live in which was robbed I would have lost it anyway.....enjoy what matters most, your life and those you share it with...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Of course it's your heart and head...

The visual trigger is just an assist.....not essential, but nice to have.

Fire, any catastrophe (like yours) changes the rules of play.

Sorry about your situation..... hard to imagine for many of us