Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I found a front-loader on Molina's website that even has the Energy Star:
environment_Molina_lavadora2.gif

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
For those of you considering purchase of a new washer (whether front- or top-load), you might be interested in the suggestions made in the latest installment of the Green Team blog, which addresses this very issue.

cork

Aug 23, 2003
Keith R said:
Good point! I **ahem** shall refrain from saying why I agree, lest I get in trouble...

However, as a practical and cost-saving matter, I think clothes line drying makes alot of sense in a place where there's more hours of warmth and intense sunshine in the year than there are rainy days. And wind-swept clothes can have a special clean smell to them...

Just one thing Keith, here due to the winter's humidity, the clothes come off the line almost as wet as when they went on the line. They tend to get more damp in the closet. Sometimes it is nice to totally dry them out and prevent the mold and mildew. (lest we have to use some chemical to deal with that)

cork

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Think carefully ....

When the power goes out and the clothes you need for the evening are still sitting in the machine, perhaps you can explain to me how you get them out without opening the door and letting all the water out! Also front loaders wear out MUCH quicker and you'll be spending days waiting for parts etc. Our American cousins got this one right for sure - think of the awesome forces that are running through the bearing on a front loading machine when the cleaner puts twenty towels in it (and she will)! The only reason why they are popular in the UK is because of the amount of space they save.

With regards to driers I have posted in the past about the gas powered machine I bought. Even though the price of gas is now much higher than it used to be, it is still cheap to run and great for getting rid of mold and mildew. In the summer when the clothes come in off the line wetter than when they went on it the machine is a God-send. (If you buy one don't forget to get it properly converted to LPG, the shop owners will tell you it will run OK but unless it expressly says it has been converted to LPG, all the jets will be wrong and believe me - it is dangerous to run a non-converted machine).

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Simon & Nicky said:
When the power goes out and the clothes you need for the evening are still sitting in the machine, perhaps you can explain to me how you get them out without opening the door and letting all the water out! Also front loaders wear out MUCH quicker and you'll be spending days waiting for parts etc. Our American cousins got this one right for sure - think of the awesome forces that are running through the bearing on a front loading machine when the cleaner puts twenty towels in it (and she will)! The only reason why they are popular in the UK is because of the amount of space they save.
Good points. Thanks for raising them -- would have preferred having them as comments to the Green Teamblog posting, but the constructive input is appreciated no matter what the medium chosen. We want the blog to reflect "Dominican realities" as much as possible. We'll edit the entry to account for these two considerations.

As for the dryer, I don't know how day-to-day conditions are over long periods on the North Coast, since I have never spent more than a week at a time there. But my family managed nicely for four years without a dryer in Santo Domingo, and I know many friends and family who have done likewise.

But it's a personal choice, which is why the new series is called "personal choices." All we're trying to do is help advise those who want to reduce their environmental impact. An LPG-powered dryer still contributes (indirectly) to greenhouse gas emissions (and the drain on your wallet) more than using line drying.

Regards,
Keith

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I just checked with Consumer Reports, whose data on reliability/repair history is usually quite good (for US brands, anyway -- I'll see what I can dig up from "Which?" for European models). They say in comparing the two categories of washer, that there is no significant difference as a group in one requiring more frequent repair than the other. Of course, in each category there are going to be brands, and maybe even certain models, that are more problematic than the norm. In the front-load category, CR says this dubious distinction belongs to Maytag. The least problematic was GE's. I should note, though, that the GE, Frigidaire and Whirlpool front-loaders are rated as less repair-prone than the KitchenAid and Amana top-loaders.

Of course, in the DR before one makes a major purchase -- whether car, motorcycle, computer or appliance -- you should always first look into the local availability of parts and service for the models you're interested in. It won't do you much good to buy a top-rated washer in Puerto Plata, if at the first time it needs repairs you have to go to Santo Domingo for parts and there's no local repair guy in the PP area that deals with your brand & model...

The parts question can be particularly vexing in the DR. For example, one of the reasons we brought our Honda with us from the States is that every Dominican told us getting parts for Hondas is "no problem" in Santo Domingo. Well, first time I needed a small repair -- a US$10 part -- I couldn't find it anywhere in SD. Why? Because it turns out that most Hondas sold in the DR are manufactured in Japan, whereas mine was made in North America, and Honda has slightly different parts for the same year and model depending on point of manufacture and assembly! :ermm:

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Simon & Nicky -- regarding your first point about the power going out during the middle of a wash. Why would you pull out your clothes mid-wash? In that situation do you usually pull them out and hand wash them, or do you leave them in the machine, hoping the power will come back on soon enough and long enough to allow the washing to finish? If the latter, as I suspect it is for most folks except for those stuck in zones experiencing 15-20-hr blackouts, then it wouldn't make a difference whether you had a front-loader or a top-loader....

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I will be buying a dryer for my house. In a house full of kids, you can run out of dry clothes in a hurry during a rainy spell. I don't intend to use it much, but when they need a school uniform shirt or dry sheets it will come in handy.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Well, Danny, everyone has to evaluate their own situation and preferences. In the four years I lived in SD, we had 7 people in the house the first yr, 6 in the 2nd-4th (we made a young cousin move out once gainfully employed), always with two little (4 yrs old when we moved there, 8 yrs old by the time we left) twin kids, complete with uniforms and their tendency to go through clean clothes like a hot knife through butter. In those four years, I think I can count on one hand the number of times we had to deal with rain preventing us from getting dry clothes. So for us, buying a mechanical dryer just never seemed worth it...

Last edited:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Keith R said:
Well, Danny, everyone has to evaluate their own situation and preferences. In the four years I lived in SD, we had 7 people the first yr, 6 in the 2nd (we made a young cousin move out once gainfully employed), always with two little (4 when we moved there, 8 by the time we left) twin kids, complete with uniforms and their tendency to go through clean clothes like a hot knife through butter. In those four years, I think I can count on one hand the number of times we had to deal with rain preventing us from getting dry clothes. So for us, buying a mechanical dryer just never seemed worth it...

Keith - I love your post. It sounds like you have a full life! - D

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Jus re-read and amended my original post -- the way I wrote in a hurry probably made it sound like I had more than 2 kids. Because they're twins, it certainly seemed that way at times! LOL

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
A question to Danny and others who want to buy a mechanical dryer anyway, inspite of all the persuasive :cheeky: arguments we make in favor of line drying -- would you like to see a Green Team piece that also addresses things to keep in mind when selecting and buying a dryer? Would it be helpful?

reracked

Sep 26, 2003
Fagor

We have a front loading FAGOR.
It's a spanish brand imported by Fereteria Americana :ermm: and sold by Carrefour.
Runned like a charm for 5 years.
We bought for about 8000RD$ if I recall well. Nowadays they go for more than 25000RD$!!!
Some rust on the metal case due to the darn salty water from Juan Dolio and lately the drain pump dyed. 750RD$ for a brand new one in SDQ, half the price from Europe!
The thing runs EVERY day. I am a happy owner :classic:

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Can I point out a couple of things? First off I have a six month old daughter who gets through more clothes than Moss Bros. And secondly I thought I was being "green" by buying a gas dryer. I thought that when you burn gas you don't get any nasty emissions am I wrong?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Simon & Nicky said:
Can I point out a couple of things? First off I have a six month old daughter who gets through more clothes than Moss Bros. And secondly I thought I was being "green" by buying a gas dryer. I thought that when you burn gas you don't get any nasty emissions am I wrong?
I didn't say or mean to say that burning LPG created dirty emissions. What I said was that the production of any power derived from fossil fuels -- including this one -- had to include greenhouse gas emissions -- it's the nature of the industry. By contrast, line drying doesn't entail any greenhouse gas emissions.

And let me reiterate what I said before -- the series is entitled "personal choices" precisely because we all make our own choices based on our weighing of our own priorities, needs, wants, etc. All the Green Team is trying to do is give you the information tools you need to "go green" as much as you choose to go.

That's why it occurs to me (mentioned above) that maybe we should also do a blog piece on what things to keep in mind when buying a mechanical dryer, if that's the route people chose to go....