"Expat Database" at DR1?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Tom, you are all over the lot from one post to another.

I have no objection to posting information as to where I live (by now everyone knows I live in Sosua), how long I have lived in the country, what work, if any, I do, etc. By now all of that is available in the archives, anyway.

And if part of that display there is a way to contact me by PM or email in the same way we do now on the message board, I have no objection to that.

I think Robert's idea to let the thread run and see what sort of input he gets is the way to go. I don't think it necessary to have an intermediary respond to every expression of concern with a sales job. There will be time for that later when it is known what the questions and concerns are.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The problem is that the sort of person who never bothered to let anyone know her next of kin is probably not the sort of person who would ever register for something like this. You will always get situations like the case of the lady in Sosua mentioned by Ken.

It is a good idea for the other reasons mentioned, though: the DR1 skills register. You'll be talking L.E.T.S. schemes next!

Chiri

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Like I said guys - for a publically available database, my vote is no. For a private database - not accessible to the bots, and log-in based so that human harvesters can be tracked - Yes absolutely. And the first piece of spam I get, gets sent back to Robert's Russians a thousand fold! :bandit:

These are the categories of information I would suggest:
- Personal (i.e., name, birthdate, stuff like that)
- Geographic (where and contact info)
- Hobbies (what is fun to do)
- Skills (what is on offer to the marketplace)
- Preferred method of contact
- Emergency contact information
- A little sketch about the person, ie., why in the DR, when in the DR and so on... things that I love, things that I hate, things that I want to learn more about...

And things that I have to swop and things that I need.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I go for a slight extension of the present Private details as shown on user cp's but LONG for a decent Database that shows

1 - areas of expertise (job AND recreation/hobbies)
2 - Area of operation/living
3 - Clubs/affiliations & other memberships relevant to job/hoobies
4 - Tel No., Fax. No., E-mail or PM address
5 - Nationality
6 - How long living in Country (if DR)
7 - Registered Company or private operation (i.e. unofficial Co.)
8 - No. of workforce

Anyone looking for a plumber with National Diploma in Plumbing working around the Sosua area with sufficient staff to ensure speedy response, could then punch in the required variables & get a swift answer as to who to call!! Useful??? You Bet!!

I can doubtless think of many other variables to put into the Database, but time is limited & so is space here. For those of you worried about security of information, you only fill in the parts of the Database you are happy to fill in. It will doubtless reduce the 'Hits' you get from possible enquiries, but that is your choice.

I think a Brit was setting up such a DataBase called Dominican DataBase & I seem to recall the guy was called Martin Moody & his wife was called Wendy??!! Don't know whatever happened to that company! - Grahame.

Jwb

Jan 10, 2002
Excellent idea

BUSH
Database that shows :

1 - areas of expertise (job AND recreation/hobbies)
2 - Area of operation/living
3 - Clubs/affiliations & other memberships relevant to job/hoobies
4 - Tel No., Fax. No., E-mail or PM address
5 - Nationality
6 - How long living in Country (if DR)
7 - Registered Company or private operation (i.e. unofficial Co.)
8 - No. of workforce

Anyone looking for a plumber with National Diploma in Plumbing working around the Sosua area with sufficient staff to ensure speedy response, could then punch in the required variables & get a swift answer as to who to call!! Useful??? You Bet!!.

Other than nationality (Individual Choice), I agree with the above statement. Not only would it direct business to reputable and qualified posters. it would also funnel out the phonies giving out bad advice. My primary concern is am I guaranteed not get Spammed.

I HATE SPAM ! .:angry:

Last edited:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Robert

I'm all for the suggestion. The only reservation I have would be that the information could not be used and/or accessed by non-members without express approval of the party involved. Other than that, a form could be designed, emailed to each member, completed and returned for inclusion in the proposed database. Sections of the form could be flaged for privacies sake or left blank at option.

We can cuss and discuss the good and bad of any/all systems til h*** freezes over and not get anywhere, so DO IT!! and see what results come back with completed forms.

Texas Bill

XanaduRanch

*** Sin Bin ***
Sep 15, 2002
Boy Ken have you got me confused with someone else!

Ken said:
Tom, you are all over the lot from one post to another ... I think Robert's idea to let the thread run and see what sort of input he gets is the way to go. I don't think it necessary to have an intermediary respond to every expression of concern with a sales job.
I have never been all over the map on anything in my life (just ask Chris!), except maybe to get Escott's travel directions straightened out. LOL. And I do not work for Rob just because he slapped that 'Moderator' tag under my name. He can and will do what he wants and my imput counts no more than yours, for sure. Actually, he knows me, so maybe it means less. I just really like the idea of being able to take a very valuable resource to me, all the friends and expats from DR1, and be able to use that even more. Privacy concerns aside, the whole database would be useless if everything is hidden. Heck, I can e-mail a questionnaire to anybody on the board now and ask what I want. But that's not practical. What I am poiitning out, just like TB, is that privacy and an open registry are not mutually exclusive if the thing is designed right, and Rob knows that. And so does Chris.

Tom (aka XR)

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I agree with Tom(aka XR) about this endeavor.
We tend to nit-pick things to pieces sometimes and this happens to be one of them!

Let's just get it done and get on with the business of living!

If someone doesn't want a particular peice of information made public and there isn't a privacy checkmark/box beside the query, just leave it blank and go on to the next question. Like a multiple choice questionaire/exam.

Texas Bill

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
good Idea

I am not living there yet may be as little as two years may be as much as five. But I could see how much it could help.

billmacdonald

Dec 8, 2003
Looking for "Papa Juan"

I am trying to locate my father "Papa Juan from Cofressi, John MacDonald, his old email at codetal does not work. Help!

Festero

Dec 15, 2002
Papa Juan

I know him well. He is here in NH dealing with some cancer issues. I'll look up your email and/or PM you with some info.

When I ived in the DR years ago it was at his place, "Villas Judith" where I stayed. My parents still own a condo there.

Dave

cork

Aug 23, 2003
Dear all,

As an otusider who hopefully will move to DR soon, I find this thread to be very good. With the recent storm and flood and earthquake problems, the fact that my children could find someone who could check on my well being delights me.

Furthermore, I was driving back and forth between Sosua and Nagua two weeks ago, i wished I could talk to one person who was not thinking of a way to separate me from what money I had. The database would allow future ex-pats to find a compatible ally in DR to tell them which neighborhoods are good, bad or just intolerable. I would have loved to see the DR in a way that did not create profit for my guide. (the real deal)

The though of re-inventing the wheel comes to mind when I read the posts here and think of the wealth of knowledge of those who have gone before me. I don't have the time left, nor the energy, to try to change things or fix what is broken, but I do want to live comfortable, in a relatively safe area, and I cannot trust a real estate person to tell me the truth. I only trust my friends.

Thus if the database can be done without sacrificing privacy, I would be on it. (when I get there)

jsizemore

Bronze
Aug 6, 2003
whats the status

I am moving down in 17 months and will have some technical questions soon what is going on with the data base. Is it a yes or no.
Worst case let peple put there info they want public on the profile and let the be searchable.
John

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Re: whats the status

jsizemore said:
I am moving down in 17 months and will have some technical questions soon what is going on with the data base. Is it a yes or no.
Worst case let peple put there info they want public on the profile and let the be searchable.
John

My programmer has this almost finished. I should have something in a few days to show everyone.