Expats, Snowbirds & Tourists : Lead, Follow or Ignore?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Interesting comment, "survivors."

What rings true is that the DR is not for everybody. Some can adapt and thrive, I'd say most cannot.

Warm weather and palm trees only go so far.

It is a definite compromise for me. I am from New York State. Upstate, far upstate. I never liked it there. I just hated the bad weather virtually all year long. I moved eventually to California. By far and away the best place I lived, but to remain there was just too expensive. I was supposed to end up retired in Sri Lanka, but that was not to be after my wife from there died young. I ended up in the DR to stretch the dollars, but the DR will also stretch your patience. There are always trade offs.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
I vacationed then lived in the DR on and off for a number of years. The first visit I really followed the rules but a number of months later I could see how one could relax more, ah em... Then I moved to DR full time and I agree with Cobraboy, I stand out, I'm definitely not a native, people notice me coming and going....It's better to follow the rules then have to explain something to the local Capitan.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I stand out, I'm definitely not a native, people notice me coming and going....It's better to follow the rules then have to explain something to the local Capitan.
Very true.

Many gringos stand out. I know I do. I'll never be mistaken for a local so I act as if everyone is looking at me...because often they are.

I've found in many cases, especially in business, Dominicans pay close attention to what I do and say, my actions, because I also carry the image of all Americans vis-a-vis "honest" business ethos. Sharks rarely even try to pull a fast one, but often I have to do hard bargaining to keep from paying too much. I don't mind leaving a nickel on the table for the other guy, but not a dollar.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Interesting subject. I have had the good fortune to have lived in several distinct cultures . Orient, Aboriginal , Barbados, Canada and now RD.
My experience is to immediately embrace the culture of which I am a guest.
I still retain my independent persona but blend in where it counts.
Language is important, simply because ''language is culture''.
Yes, when in Rome.... be a diplomat.
I get along quite well with the Dominican people ; and they with me.
Not much of an answer. but it is how I operate.
Russ