Experiences with Vladimir's Paint Shop in Sosua? Other recommendations?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The labor rates are a whole lot higher in the US, Canada, and Europe. No surprise that it costs less to fix your car here. And that's exactly why in the US a lot of fixes are "repair by replace". Just imagine what you'd have to pay if they tried to fix it instead. SMH.

In the US there are lawyers who require mechanics to be careful as they could be easily sued for an subsequent accident or shoddy repairs - and they all must carry shop insurance.
Most all US shops have hydraulic lifts (which about 70% of shops here don't) and they also have full diagnostic computers and roll out professional tool boxes including specialty tools - not a hammer, 2 screw drivers and a rusty pair of pliers). Ever see a micrometer in a shop here ? Even a torque wrench is rare.
They also put covers over your fenders to protect the finish. In DR they don't care if they scratch your new car.

I remember the old sand blast stations for cleaning spark plugs - Why you don't see them anymore is because spark plugs are a disposable item now, like many things. Starters, Alternators & AC Compressors are not repaired in shop anymore, they are exchanged for a re-manufactured unit (and they are quite as good as new).

Times have changed and as cars get more complex it will require more technical expertise.

Maybe William Webster's mechanic in Nagua is worth the drive - since he has had some recent certification in NY. I just wonder how long it takes him to get parts for a car there ? William did he ever find the chrome strip for the back of your MUX you dented ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The labor rates are a whole lot higher in the US, Canada, and Europe. No surprise that it costs less to fix your car here. And that's exactly why in the US a lot of fixes are "repair by replace". Just imagine what you'd have to pay if they tried to fix it instead. SMH.

Yes and while everyone is chortling over the great savings they get from their mechanics here, what about having to pay 2 to 2.5 times the price of the same model vehicle (in worse condition, with no reliable Car Fax) than you would pay up North.

So you pay $20,000 for a $9,000 car then you 'save' because you get your mechanic to 'repair' it for 1/4 the cost and you are happy it still runs with 50% of the screws and bolts ?

I suspect if you add it up, you are way ahead of repair costs with that $11,000 in savings from the purchase date. That actually could buy you a backup vehicle in the States or Canada.

One other thing - shops here seldom guarantee their work, nor the parts they do buy for your car. So that $120 alternator fails ? Oops well drop it off we will fix it again for another $100

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The glass and the strip were installed in just a few days....

My friend's 2001 Jaguar needed a windshield...
Delivered and installed in two days.... unbelievable

These repairs are by Pablo (Nagua too )... no English but great work.

He fixes everything...
That Jag is getting all new brakes, suspension and more
Sure - my pal flew in most of those parts - but the work is chugging along

eg
The rotors etc that he flew in were 1/4 the local price
not to mention availability

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My 2005 Jeep Wrangler had rust spots - holes actually -

He fixed the fuel pump , complete 65,000 mi checkup and paint/body work = $900
Painted the whole car.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Paint takes time... no spray booth etc.
so weather dictates some of it.... pretty good on time and VERY fussy about his work

He's fixing a mashed Amanera MBenz now....front end body work
Many of his cars are high end

He's a bit famous in the area
Nagua is a bigger car place than many realize

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
My 2005 Jeep Wrangler had rust spots - holes actually -

He fixed the fuel pump , complete 65,000 mi checkup and paint/body work = $900
Painted the whole car.

Exactly! Good Dominican prices!
New York wolves would charge you $3500 for all this.
We have had all similar here after more than 3 years sitting of our SUV. Replaced with new parts, repainted , re-done everything. From roof to the bottom. $1300US for EVERYTHING. $6 grand in New York at least.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That car arrived in January 2009.... and was the only car for several years.
This climate does things we aren't used in the north...

Every Dom mechanic will tell.... things go bad faster here
IMO - it takes the local knowledge/mentality to keep on top of problems... tropical problems.

Yes - irsav - I have seen wrecks arrive from the USA - surely bought at auction
brought here for the fix....
My friend's Jag repairs will be mostly labor - since he imported his components

Should be an interesting bill

dom

Jun 1, 2011
stay away from vladimir he screwed up my car big time took him 3 weeks never finished, total idiot

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
That car arrived in January 2009.... and was the only car for several years.
This climate does things we aren't used in the north...

Every Dom mechanic will tell.... things go bad faster here
IMO - it takes the local knowledge/mentality to keep on top of problems... tropical problems.

Yes - irsav - I have seen wrecks arrive from the USA - surely bought at auction
brought here for the fix....
My friend's Jag repairs will be mostly labor - since he imported his components

Should be an interesting bill

We bought our SUV brand new here. After checking about 40 "just imported" vehicles from the USA . Upon seeing their TRUE CARFAX you would not touch them with a 7 foot pole.
"CAR IMPORT FROM USA" - IS THE DIRTIEST BUSINESS HERE.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am careful only to buy cars imported as new here... like you

Both my cars - Suzuki & Isuzu - were true RD cars....
The US compliant cars are too complicated...

My Jeep's sensor (A US car brought in by me) warns me of poor gas if I don't mix 50/50 reg /premium

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
alrighty, tushysponges, the topic is about car paint job in sosua. either stay on topic or dam your gobs, how hard can it be?
any further off topic posts will be removed with infraction to follow.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
post removed by a moderator. please see my note above. infraction given.

Last edited by a moderator: