Extension of Legal Stay in The DR - 120 Days

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I read that clearly as being" never has to pay the damages of the other party IF THEY ARE VIOLATING THE LAW"
Now we will probably go on to 25 pages of posts of ex-pats explaining "the law". LOL. THe law is clearly written within the 4 corners governme ntal pages on-line.
BTW when the insurance company doesn't pay there are other remedies for the injured party to collect a judgement. I'm sure none of the options would make your life stress free.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No. Your license is valid for up to 90 days if you are legally in the country for those 90 days.
A foreign license is valid for 90 days even if you only have a 30 day tourist card.
This is because different government agencies are in charge of those two sets of regulations.

There will always be people who point out that you can violate these regulations without ramifications.
So far, you almost always can get away with it.

Reactions: cavok

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
So, for your insurance to be valid for 90 days you DO NOT need to file for the extension? To some this may be beating a dead horse, but I don't want to be that guy running to Haiti.
Since you are going to have to pay for the 90 day overstay one way or the other, why not just pay for the extension and be legal for those 90 days?

Reactions: MariaRubia

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Some say running to Haiti and back again does not reset the clock. Others say it does.

A driver's license from a foreign country is valid for 90 days. So as long as your insurance does not care about your legal migration status, you should be fine.
Some say you can stay forever and your DR insurance will always cover you. I have no idea on that. My first DR license turned out to be a counterfeit and I had no issues driving in the DR or renting cars in the US with it. So as you can see, it "depends".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A very sensible statement.... and I expect is why they offer it
I really don't think they thought that far ahead about it. For some reason they still cannot come up with a far more sensible snowbird 6 month visa that also allows one to drive for that period legally. A coordination between different government agencies would be required.

That would actually be "thinking" about the problem and "offering" the correct solution. It seems beyond their abilities.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think it may be a 'mentality' issue.

Some people might think a 6 month stay is beyond 'visiting'.

Not saying they're correct in that thinking -
but they seem to define a visitor as a 120 day stay...... longer is more than a visit

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think it may be a 'mentality' issue.

Some people might think a 6 month stay is beyond 'visiting'.

Not saying they're correct in that thinking -
but they seem to define a visitor as a 120 day stay...... longer is more than a visit
I refer to it as not being able to walk and chew gum at the same time for the government.

Other countries have such 6 month periods without issue. For example, Canadians can stay in the US for a maximum of 6 months each calendar year. The DR is unable to grasp this simple concept.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Since you are going to have to pay for the 90 day overstay one way or the other, why not just pay for the extension and be legal for those 90 days?
Exactly this. My relative ended up paying exactly the same amount even though she overstayed the 120 days. But at least she was fully legal for those 120 days

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Exactly this. My relative ended up paying exactly the same amount even though she overstayed the 120 days. But at least she was fully legal for those 120 days
Except for her driver's license which was valid for up to 90 days.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Except for her driver's license which was valid for up to 90 days.
Yes but in the end she decided it was too risky driving in any case so this wasn't a thing. At the point she wanted to hire a car she was just beyond the 90 days but under the 120 days. The other thing was that by the time we worked out the cost of hiring a vehicle and all the insurance and the gas, it worked out cheaper to use a taxi, even from the capital to Cabarete. Much cheaper in fact.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Does
Going forward any time I plan to stay more than 30 days I will get the extension. It can't hurt.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Luperon do a search this topic was beaten to death ..took took few yrs for a windy to cave on his stance of 30 days validity... you want stay legal for court ,6 months legal driving get international drivers license it’s only really useful if you have to go court that’s it, for cops it’s toilet paper.. here is trusted insurance broker many yrs expats use give him call ask from horses mouth what most know ..View attachment 4537
Jimmy, Thanks for the link and advice. And apologies to the horse.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013

Attachments

• overstay.png
    overstay.png
    47 KB · Views: 151