Extension of SD Metro Line 2

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
An aerial view of the still underconstruction Los Alcarrizos SD Metro Station of the extension of line 2 (2C). Notice the cable car station too. Duarte Highway birdering the metro station.

Part of your taxes (ITBIS, et al)...

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Long ways to go...

The cable car is almost finished, if I'm not mistaken.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Wow what a mess, they would have to either buy out some lands to be able to install the bridge in the way. Lot of work

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Wow what a mess, they would have to either buy out some lands to be able to install the bridge in the way. Lot of work

I thought that myself. It's like they have just drawn a straight line, and don't seem to care what it is next to. The line seems to run right next to some office buildings, and right over the top of their car parks, like literally a few feet away from their office windows. I know it's needed and I guess the buildings nearby will be knocked down in the fullness of time, but a mess is the word I would use too.

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Screenshot 2023-04-11 233735.png

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I thought that myself. It's like they have just drawn a straight line, and don't seem to care what it is next to. The line seems to run right next to some office buildings, and right over the top of their car parks, like literally a few feet away from their office windows. I know it's needed and I guess the buildings nearby will be knocked down in the fullness of time, but a mess is the word I would use too.
I don't think there was much choice, unless they were going to make it an underground railway. As you know, there's not much land in Santo Domingo that isn't built on.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I wonder how they every arrived at the decision to build the extension above ground rather than continue Line 2 underground .Numerous Asian cities that have developed topsey turvey like Santo Domingo has grown have developed rail systems that are a combination of underground and above ground. Above the ground trains can be slung above the roads as is the case in Bangkok ..that has worked very well and there was no need to acquire any land. I have not seen these cable cars used in any large city except for Medellin where the cable car creeps up and down the steep hill that has many poor barrios. I was hoping that the extension of the line 2 would follow Autopista Duarte all the way to Villa Altagracia and I am surprised that preference has been given to the cable car project. The alternative to all this would have been to follow what they did in Lima where they built two dedicated lanes ,one in each direction , in the centre of numerous wide roads such as Duarte, and these are used only for the elongated buses.

Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes Miami DRGuy, very interesting video and there is still many years work ahead to get this extension up and running. If you can imagine all those circular pylons between the traffic going in both directions with arms extending out to support the tracks, then that has been the successful method in several Asian cities. No need to acquire land.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I hope they crunch the numbers right on design.
Siemens AG designed the Tren Urbano system for Puerto Rico.
After it opened they realized it could not negotiate the turns at advertised speeds and it was slowed down dramatically.
And, while still in service when I left, it sufferers from dismal ridership numbers.

Since Siemens is providing project management in SD - caveat emptor

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I believe that the Teleferico#2, the second cable car system will be ready for passengers next month but it will not link up with Metro line 2 at present because the extension of line 2 from Maria Montez to Los Alcarrizos will not be ready for many years. I assume there will benefits of taking this cable car service in the meantime but I have never been to that part of the capital.
The stations on the Teleferico #2 are 1. Los Americanos, 2. Puente Blanco, 3 Las Toronjas and 4 Los Alcarrizos, where the Teleferico will meet up with the extended line 2 of the metro .

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I believe that the Teleferico#2, the second cable car system will be ready for passengers next month but it will not link up with Metro line 2 at present because the extension of line 2 from Maria Montez to Los Alcarrizos will not be ready for many years. I assume there will benefits of taking this cable car service in the meantime but I have never been to that part of the capital.
The stations on the Teleferico #2 are 1. Los Americanos, 2. Puente Blanco, 3 Las Toronjas and 4 Los Alcarrizos, where the Teleferico will meet up with the extended line 2 of the metro .
Line #2 will be open in another two weeks.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I think that you meant to write that Teleferico #2 will be open in two weeks but that the extension to Metro Line # 2 will be ready, hopefully, in mid 2024 . JUst to clear up the original posting the financing will not all come from taxes such as ITBIS but from a large loan from the Central American Bank of Economic Integration that has a generous five year grace period.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

Evictions for the expansion of the Metro surprise citizens on the Duarte highway​

Angel Valdez
Santo Domingo, DR

"If my child or I had been here, we would be dead," said Domingo Ogando, who is one of the people who lives in the vicinity of kilometer 13 of the Duarte Highway, Resplado Alameda, where evictions are taking place to allow the continuation of the works of the expansion of the Santo Domingo Metro.
According to several of the residents, during the course of this Saturday, brigades reached that sector and without "prior notice" began to demolish the houses to make way for the evictions.
Those affected explained to LISTÍN DIARIO that the engineer in charge of the work, identified as Guillermo, visited the community last Thursday to continue the demolition of a building located at the back of the houses.
"He came on Thursday, he wanted to get us out of here to knock down a ship behind, but we did not agree because our houses would be damaged," Ogando declared.
The representative of the neighbors indicated that, although they did not support the decision of the workers, they continued.
“This morning they came and demolished the entire wall of a warehouse in the back,” Ogando asserted, adding that around 9 houses are in a state of disrepair due to demolition debris.
In addition, he clarified that the engineer ordered a team of workers, accompanied by police officers, to proceed with the evictions without "coming to show their faces."
“He made it attentive to him. Thank God that everyone was working”, highlighted Ogando.

I'm pretty sure all of these folks have been notified at one time or another that they have to leave, and were probably offered a sum of money they felt was not enough.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com

Evictions for the expansion of the Metro surprise citizens on the Duarte highway​

Angel Valdez
Santo Domingo, DR

"If my child or I had been here, we would be dead," said Domingo Ogando, who is one of the people who lives in the vicinity of kilometer 13 of the Duarte Highway, Resplado Alameda, where evictions are taking place to allow the continuation of the works of the expansion of the Santo Domingo Metro.
According to several of the residents, during the course of this Saturday, brigades reached that sector and without "prior notice" began to demolish the houses to make way for the evictions.
Those affected explained to LISTÍN DIARIO that the engineer in charge of the work, identified as Guillermo, visited the community last Thursday to continue the demolition of a building located at the back of the houses.
"He came on Thursday, he wanted to get us out of here to knock down a ship behind, but we did not agree because our houses would be damaged," Ogando declared.
The representative of the neighbors indicated that, although they did not support the decision of the workers, they continued.
“This morning they came and demolished the entire wall of a warehouse in the back,” Ogando asserted, adding that around 9 houses are in a state of disrepair due to demolition debris.
In addition, he clarified that the engineer ordered a team of workers, accompanied by police officers, to proceed with the evictions without "coming to show their faces."
“He made it attentive to him. Thank God that everyone was working”, highlighted Ogando.

I'm pretty sure all of these folks have been notified at one time or another that they have to leave, and were probably offered a sum of money they felt was not enough.
This is sad, but we don't know the whole story.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
And here's a comment on the article from another person affected.

"This cannot surprise anyone, since they have been visiting each space that will be affected for a long time. I say this because we had to lose space in a project that we were carrying out."

And another:

"They already gave those people their money to leave"

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
And here's a comment on the article from another person affected.

"This cannot surprise anyone, since they have been visiting each space that will be affected for a long time. I say this because we had to lose space in a project that we were carrying out."

And another:

"They already gave those people their money to leave"
That's kind of what I was thinking. It's still sad because they probably are not very educated and don't have a lot of job skills. But, they were warned.

Reactions: windeguy