FBI investigates player signings

From today's DR1 Daily News - The United States Federal Bureau of Investigation is looking into alleged irregularities surrounding the contract signing of several young Dominican baseball players by members of the Chicago White Sox organization. As a result of the investigation, so far the Sox have fired their director of scouting for the Caribbean, David Wilder and two Dominican scouts. The story dominates the front page of today's Listin Diario Sports Section. Basically, complaints were received from ballplayers from the Dominican Republic, Brazil and Florida about signing bonuses and the way they were distributed. Listin says that according to rumors, one player signed at the end of 2007 for a signing bonus of US$500,000 complained that he only received US$200,000. The White Sox operate Baseball City in Boca Chica, on the outskirts of Santo Domingo. The papers quote sources saying that the FBI is investigating more than just the White Sox scouts, and that the case will involve many more as it develops. Of the thirty major league teams, the Milwaukee Brewers is the only team that doesn't have a training and recruitment facility in the Dominican Republic.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
From the Boston Glob

White Sox director of player development Dave Wilder, who you'll remember was interviewed for the Boston GM job during Theo Epstein's 2005 hiatus, is in hot water. The Red Sox thought very highly of Wilder, considering him one of the most impressive candidates they interviewed. He's been a top exec under John Schuerholz and White Sox GM Ken Williams. But a federal and MLB investigation is looking into whether Wilder and two scouts skimmed money from signing bonuses paid to Latin prospects. All three were fired by Williams late last week - which was not easy, since Williams is one of Wilder's best friends. The case has a lot of baseball people shaking their heads, hoping there's some other explanation.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Storms are brewing.

This is getting interesting.

Rijo has a lot of access, his name is no surprise.

I'm not speaking of his character, but he's been in this business for a long time.

It will be interesting to follow regardless.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that some of those who work for mlb have been involved in payback schemes. Certainly when you have lived in the DR long enough you can understand why, it's the norm here. I guess gringos who come here figure they can get a piece of the pie too. At least involving Americans, the US gov't can subpoena then and start looking at accounts, etc. It still might be difficult to prove, especially if the Dominican banks don't work with the American investigators.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I guess gringos who come here figure they can get a piece of the pie too. At least involving Americans, the US gov't can subpoena then and start looking at accounts, etc.

This is where the fun starts. An american working for a major-league team that has an academy in the DR recently tried to board a commercial flight back to the states with $40,000 US dollars IN CASH.

This was one of the events that triggered the investigation.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
This is where the fun starts. An american working for a major-league team that has an academy in the DR recently tried to board a commercial flight back to the states with $40,000 US dollars IN CASH.

Not a very bright individual, it looks very incriminating.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
You can board a plane with any amount of currency you want.....

....you just have to declare it and fill out the proper forms as to its origin etc.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
....you just have to declare it and fill out the proper forms as to its origin etc.

HAHAHA!!!!!!

I can see it now-

"Yes, I stole this money from a Dominican prospect that the team I work for just signed!!!!!! His signing bonus is now MY signing bonus!!!!!!"

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Who?

Do you know which team they were working for?

I thought I read somewhere that there is a limit you can bring on a plane ($9,999). Anything above that needed to be moved by other means. Again, i don't "know" that, but that's what I'd always thought was the limit.

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
Nope...thats the limit in which you do not need to declare....

....10,000 is the magical #......and as far as declaration, the guy could have made a statement he sells "securit?es" to baseball players......baseball "futures".

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I don't recall the team, Cleef. But I'll be looking for the article that I read and will post the information.