Ferreteria Americana ???

N

NALs

Bellon on Juan Pablo Duarte/Rafael Vidal in Santiago is very similar to Home Depot, right down to store layout and colors.
The are attempting to become the Dominican "Home Depot". A handful of years ago they entered into an agreement with Grupo Ramos with opening many of their stores in the Multicentro shopping plazas owned by them. I'm not sure if theyare still using that company as part of their nationwide expansion. The main investor/founder of Bellon is a Spaniard that still lives in Santiago.

There's a newer chain that started in Santo Domingo with a similar concept. I don't know when (or if) they are expanding nationwide, but in Santo Domingo they already have several locations. I think there name is Innova something with a green and white color scheme.

T

TropicalPaul

Americana is still making new posts on its Facebook page this weekend, so I assume they are still trading. Having spent a fortune with them during years of renovating a property, I can say that I always thought they were destined for the scrap heap. Customer service is completely terrible, so many lines out of stock, always the sense that they are doing you a massive favour just by selling you something. Customer service in so many stores has moved on. CCN which owns Ferreteria Cuesta as well as Supermercado Nacional and Jumbo really seems to "get" customer service in a way that Americana never did.

I just can't wait for Amazon to open up distribution in Dom Rep and allow people to buy online without shipping via Miami. It's only a matter of time before this happens, and it will shake up the retailers when they face that type of service and inventory availability.

C

chico bill

Amazon will never be allowed to ship direct because the freight forwarders make way too much money to allow themselves to be bipassed, even with Besos's billions. Then there's that small issue of dealing with aduanas.

You can not mess with rich connected Latinos cash cows.

T

TropicalPaul

Amazon will never be allowed to ship direct because the freight forwarders make way too much money to allow themselves to be bipassed, even with Besos's billions. Then there's that small issue of dealing with aduanas.

You can not mess with rich connected Latinos cash cows.

I disagree. DGII hates the $200 concession and has tried to close it down many times. Politicians here like nothing more than money, and Amazon has a vast amount of this. If they wanted to come, I can't see how they would be stopped. Everyone thought the transport syndicatos were invincible then Uber just popped up and is now huge in the capital.

M

Mauricio

The are attempting to become the Dominican "Home Depot". A handful of years ago they entered into an agreement with Grupo Ramos with opening many of their stores in the Multicentro shopping plazas owned by them. I'm not sure if theyare still using that company as part of their nationwide expansion. The main investor/founder of Bellon is a Spaniard that still lives in Santiago.

There's a newer chain that started in Santo Domingo with a similar concept. I don't know when (or if) they are expanding nationwide, but in Santo Domingo they already have several locations. I think there name is Innova something with a green and white color scheme.

Innova is not a newer chain than Bellon, it’s a rebranding of La Innovación which has many years (just checked: since 1956). The store on Kennedy of them is definitely not bad.

C

Cdn_Gringo

Imported merchandise needs to be super cheap to begin with as transportation and duty costs are reflected in the final price. The end result if the wholesale price is not low enough to begin with is a product few can afford (or would choose) making the exercise of importing the item moot. Everything imported always costs more on an island. Just look at the price of a new car or a top of the line Sealy/Serta mattress.

E

El Rey de Mangu

Imported merchandise needs to be super cheap to begin with as transportation and duty costs are reflected in the final price. The end result if the wholesale price is not low enough to begin with is a product few can afford (or would choose) making the exercise of importing the item moot. Everything imported always costs more on an island. Just look at the price of a new car or a top of the line Sealy/Serta mattress.

"Somebody's boring me, I think it's me" -Dylan Thomas

J

JDJones

A great example:

I bought two new TGM inverter air conditioners at the beginning of last year. These are the "Toyota of air conditioners" because you can get parts for them everywhere.

As my luck would have it, one of them had the compressor go bad a month after the guarantee was up.

I went to Refriparts to buy one, and of course, they didn't have them. Why? Because they never go bad. (DR logic for you)

They said they could order one for me, but it might take a while.

I jumped online and started searching. I called a bunch of A/C places in Miami to buy one, and of course, heard the same comment again and again: "Wow, that's strange, those never go bad"

I finally found a new one for the bargain price of $160. (8000 Pesos) The guy said he'd ship it for free. Nice gesture on his part.

It took the local broker 4 days to get the thing cleared. DGA charged me $9200. On a part that cost 8000.

The A/C guy had to remove the outside unit, remove the old compressor and install the new one, reinstall the unit, then do the vacuum and charge the gas. That was 5000 pesos.

22K to repair an A/C I paid 20K for a year ago.

I will kindly refrain from giving my opinion of the local tax folks.

R

RDKNIGHT

A great example:

I bought two new TGM inverter air conditioners at the beginning of last year. These are the "Toyota of air conditioners" because you can get parts for them everywhere.

As my luck would have it, one of them had the compressor go bad a month after the guarantee was up.

I went to Refriparts to buy one, and of course, they didn't have them. Why? Because they never go bad. (DR logic for you)

They said they could order one for me, but it might take a while.

I jumped online and started searching. I called a bunch of A/C places in Miami to buy one, and of course, heard the same comment again and again: "Wow, that's strange, those never go bad"

I finally found a new one for the bargain price of $160. (8000 Pesos) The guy said he'd ship it for free. Nice gesture on his part.

It took the local broker 4 days to get the thing cleared. DGA charged me $9200. On a part that cost 8000.

The A/C guy had to remove the outside unit, remove the old compressor and install the new one, reinstall the unit, then do the vacuum and charge the gas. That was 5000 pesos.

22K to repair an A/C I paid 20K for a year ago.

I will kindly refrain from giving my opinion of the local tax folks.

wow that's tough .... sorry bro..... i guess just buy a new one..... thanks for the tip